• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Windchicken 2016

For the last couple of years my season has finished up after the subsequent season had already started…I sowed my 2016 seeds last Saturday, but my 2015 Chile Manzano are just now bearing ripe fruit, 3 days later. Is it worth waiting over a year after sowing to get ripe fruit from these plants? HELLZ TO THE YEAH!!! Only the best chile in the world!!!

Manzano_Jan12.jpg

windchicken said:
Cool weather pods, FINALLY! Only about 6 weeks later than usual, but I'll take it!

Bonda Mahala really comes into her own this time of year...What you see here is the payoff for 11 months of toil and care:

mahala2_nov12.jpg

The excellent, face-melting "Baby Barrackpore" variant of Spicegeist's Sonoran Chiltepin x 7 Pot Barrackpore. This 3-year-old plant is the only one in existence producing these particular pods. The entire next reaping is going to an expert breeding buddy, as I have been as yet unsuccessful in propagating this one:

baby_barrack_nov12.jpg

The wonderful Zapotec Jalapeño, original seeds from our beloved late Beth Boyd, who discovered this one in Oaxaca. I have grown this jal every year since Beth first sent me seeds all those years ago, and always will, the only jal I will ever sow:

zapotec_nov12.jpg

Bhut Orange Copenhagen, a.k.a. "BOC." If you call yourself a chile head, and you're not growing this one, what in the hell is wrong with you???  :P

BOC1_nov12.jpg
Zapotec Jalapeño what are these jalapenos like compared to heat & flavor
The only other two I am Interested in are new mex jalapenos but these sound the best

Plantguy76 said:
Zapotec Jalapeño what are these jalapenos like compared to heat & flavor
The only other two I am Interested in are new mex jalapenos but these sound the best

Thanks PG! The Zapotec ranges from normal Jalapeño heat to hotter, but the real selling points of this variety are its wonderful flavor, dense, meaty flesh, heavy corking, and strong, treelike, gorgeous plants. It's hard to describe the flavor, you really just need to grow it to find out...I should probably also say that here in my garden, in this climate, the Zapotec Jalapeño grows very slowly, even slower than my C. chinense plants, but by late fall the main stems are very thick and strong, and the foliage is dark green and quite dense. The Zapotec plants remind me of nothing else more than oak trees...

The only of the NuMex jalapeño varieties I have grown is the Jalmundo, a cross of jalapeño and bell pepper. It was bred for very thick pod walls and large fruit, to give the pods plenty of structural integrity and inner volume for stuffing. The flavor is very nice, with distinctive bell pepper notes; the heat level is on the lower end of the jalapeño range. The plants grow quickly and bear plenty of fruit...The CPI literature states that the Jalmundo was also bred for minimal corking, which as a chile head who values jalapeño corking highly, I don't understand. But that doesn't matter, because under proper conditions Jalmundo corks up just fine...

Those Bonda Mahala pods are awesome Gary , love the pheno and rich color , your Barrackpore x pods always make me smile as i always remember you saying "Sim you need pequin in your life ;)

interesting comments regarding your appreciation of BOC flavour and that it should be the only super you grow.....

Keep doing what you love doing buddy, you really are a over seas " inspiration"  :dance:

Superhot Sim said:
Those Bonda Mahala pods are awesome Gary , love the pheno and rich color , your Barrackpore x pods always make me smile as i always remember you saying "Sim you need pequin in your life ;)

interesting comments regarding your appreciation of BOC flavour and that it should be the only super you grow.....

Keep doing what you love doing buddy, you really are a over seas " inspiration"  :dance:

Thanks so much for all that, Simmy! Your encouragement means everything...And yes, you do need a Pequin in your life!  :P

Another cool weather pod, Chocolate NagaBrain, f4:

choco_NB1_nov14.jpg

choco_NB2_nov14.jpg

Great looking pod Gary. Look at that massive placenta and pools of oil. I can smell from here.

Is it bitter? Most of the Chocolates I've tried, have been bitter. Extremely hot though.

I still can't wait to grow the BOC. On my exciting list.

Thanks again.

Chuck

OCD Chilehead said:
Great looking pod Gary. Look at that massive placenta and pools of oil. I can smell from here.

Is it bitter? Most of the Chocolates I've tried, have been bitter. Extremely hot though.

I still can't wait to grow the BOC. On my exciting list.

Thanks again.

Chuck

Thanks Chuck! Honestly, I'm not a big fan of most chocolates, either, so I don't have much basis for comparison. I can say that it has far and away the best aroma and flavor of the three NagaBrain varieties. Others say it smells like passion fruit, but to me it's intensely grapey in its fruitiness. The aroma and flavor are big, deep, and clean. I don't notice any bitterness, and I've heard others say that there is no bitterness in this one. The plants grow huge and robust, and the productivity is just amazing. It's a really nice pepper. My main problem with the Chocolate NagaBrain is that it's just too freaking hot for me. The heat comes on like a clean, swift mule kick right in the teeth...If that's what you're looking for this one will not disappoint!

Pepperhead1989 said:
Can't wait to grow this one this coming year!

Thanks in advance for growing it PH!

Superhot Sim said:

Nice pod Gary

wheres the live review dude ? :hell: :hot: that pepper brings back bad memories of a "Black naga" pepper bomb :lol: :crazy:
whats taste like on choc naga brain Gary ?
Cheers
Simmy

Thanks Simmy! For my impressions of Chocolate NagaBrain, please check my remarks in the above response. I've got a great review video, too, done by my leather-throated pal Wes Lane. I'll get it posted here ASAP. Not till after work, though...Our upload connection is pathetic here at the office....

Trident chilli said:
Evil ... pure evil ... sides dripping in oil .. killer pod Gary

Thanks John!  :dance:

Pepperhead1989 said:

Agreed! :mouthonfire:

Thanks PH!!!

wiriwiri said:
:bday:    A bit late ah, Celebrate all week,& why not :dance: ...I always read your posts& admire your lovely Killer peppers & know that many here hold you in high esteem...indeed!!      .Sandy  :P

Thanks so much for that Dubdub!!! Your post made my day!!!

Frost is forecast for Saturday morning. The meteorologists could be wrong, but the chances are very high that I can now count the remaining days of the 2016 season on one hand...It seems that every year my very best fruit comes at this time, the most bittersweet of days...

Chocolate NagaBrain, f4:

choco_NB_nov16.jpg

windchicken said:

Thanks so much for that Dubdub!!! Your post made my day!!!

Frost is forecast for Saturday morning. The meteorologists could be wrong, but the chances are very high that I can now count the remaining days of the 2016 season on one hand...It seems that every year my very best fruit comes at this time, the most bittersweet of days...

Chocolate NagaBrain, f4:

choco_NB_nov16.jpg
I tried to pm you but your box is full.

Thanks for the info Gary. I don't like the instant melt your face off. I like to enjoy a good amount of heat and flavor. That BOC of yours is on the top of my list for next year. I ate those every day until they were gone. Can't wait!

Those are some beautiful pods. Huge!

Hope the meteorologist is wrong.

Oh, I've always thought that Chiltepin x 7 Pot Barrackpore of Charles's was a cool cross. Never tried them, but very cool looking.

Thanks again.

Chuck

OCD Chilehead said:
Thanks for the info Gary. I don't like the instant melt your face off. I like to enjoy a good amount of heat and flavor. That BOC of yours is on the top of my list for next year. I ate those every day until they were gone. Can't wait!

Those are some beautiful pods. Huge!

Hope the meteorologist is wrong.

Oh, I've always thought that Chiltepin x 7 Pot Barrackpore of Charles's was a cool cross. Never tried them, but very cool looking.

Thanks again.

Chuck

Thanks Chuck! I'm glad you like the BOC. That one is very hard to beat!

Maybe one day Charles' Barrackpore cross will be stable...That one has really been challenging, but it's a really nice pepper.

Back