• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Windchicken 2016

For the last couple of years my season has finished up after the subsequent season had already started…I sowed my 2016 seeds last Saturday, but my 2015 Chile Manzano are just now bearing ripe fruit, 3 days later. Is it worth waiting over a year after sowing to get ripe fruit from these plants? HELLZ TO THE YEAH!!! Only the best chile in the world!!!

Manzano_Jan12.jpg

dragonsfire said:
Very nice Fruit ! Never had luck with Lavender.

Thanks Neil! This is the only lavender I've ever grown. The plants are entering their third season, and are only now really bushing out. They seem to prefer really dry, loose soil...It was very hard for me to learn to skip these plants when I'm watering...I don't believe I've watered them yet this season....

Alchymystic said:
Looking awesome, Gary!! It's going to be great to see the initial first blush of color developing in all those beauties... then in their full glory in that Louisiana sun!  ;)

Really interesting elongated pod in the pic of the Bonda Mahala! Still quite a bit of diversity in the shapes it's putting out. I know you made mention of focusing on it this year for further development/selection - sounds fun and exciting! Love those... an awesome pepper!  :D  

Thanks Neil! Yeah, I'm getting real stoked to have some fresh chiles...I don't know what will be first, but I'm thinking the Tmudders are looking pretty good about now. 

I posted that photo of the Mahala pepper for the very reason you mentioned...There are some pretty odd pod phenotypes showing up, just when this variety should be beginning to settle down (It's at f5 this year). I'm not really disappointed, though, because I have a feeling these plants are about to give us some cool peppers... :party:

Spicegeist said:

Great pics.  Your garden is looking very nice.  Bonda Mahala looks interesting this year...

Thanks Charles! I'm anxious to see how these pods turn out...There are several others similar to those in the photo. I'll get some shots of them ASAP....

OCD Chilehead said:
Glad to hear more plants hit the dirt. That's a nice little patch you have. That Pequin hedge is awesome. Do any of the birds eat off of it?

Thanks Chuck! The birds do eat the Chile Pequin. But the plants are so productive that I don't even miss them. There are way more pods than I, plus my friends and family, can ever pick...We barely made a dent in them last year...

pequin_aug12.jpg

stickman said:
Very interesting assortment of varieties Gary. How do you like the taste of the Cabe Gendot? Does it tolerate Louisiana's summer heat better than the Manzanos?

Thanks Rick! The taste of the Gendot is very much like Manzano; I believe the heat level of Gendot is a bit hotter...(I gave Troy Primo a bag of them a while back—He said it was one of the hottest things he'd ever eaten. At least that was his perception of them.) But to me the big difference between Cabe Gendot and Manzano is the insane amount of red juice the Gendot produces. It runs down you chin and your forearms, like fiery-hot watermelon juice! 

As to the second question, it's some one way and some the other...For me the Manzano plant is much easier to grow, but not as productive as Cabe Gendot. In fact, I've not had much success at all getting Cabe Gendot to grow from my own saved seeds...The plants I have now are from the original seeds sent to me several years ago by THP member Indochilli (who seems to be MIA for a while now)...He reported to me that he had zero success growing it where he lives, which I believe is at a much lower altitude in Indonesia than the Dieng Plateau, the native home of Cabe Gendot....

Interestingly, though, last year one of my Manzano plants (from my saved seeds) turned out to be a cross with Cabe Gendot. The result was the large, apple-shaped Manzano fruit, but hey were red instead of the usual orangy-yellow, and very, very juicy. I still have that plant, plus saved seeds from her fruit...

Hope that wasn't too much information!  :P

windchicken said:

Thanks Chuck! The birds do eat the Chile Pequin. But the plants are so productive that I don't even miss them. There are way more pods than I, plus my friends and family, can ever pick...We barely made a dent in them last year...

pequin_aug12.jpg

Thanks Rick! The taste of the Gendot is very much like Manzano; I believe the heat level of Gendot is a bit hotter...(I gave Troy Primo a bag of them a while back—He said it was one of the hottest things he'd ever eaten. At least that was his perception of them.) But to me the big difference between Cabe Gendot and Manzano is the insane amount of red juice the Gendot produces. It runs down you chin and your forearms, like fiery-hot watermelon juice! 

As to the second question, it's some one way and some the other...For me the Manzano plant is much easier to grow, but not as productive as Cabe Gendot. In fact, I've not had much success at all getting Cabe Gendot to grow from my own saved seeds...The plants I have now are from the original seeds sent to me several years ago by THP member Indochilli (who seems to be MIA for a while now)...He reported to me that he had zero success growing it where he lives, which I believe is at a much lower altitude in Indonesia than the Dieng Plateau, the native home of Cabe Gendot....

Interestingly, though, last year one of my Manzano plants (from my saved seeds) turned out to be a cross with Cabe Gendot. The result was the large, apple-shaped Manzano fruit, but hey were red instead of the usual orangy-yellow, and very, very juicy. I still have that plant, plus saved seeds from her fruit...

Hope that wasn't too much information!  :P

Great info Gary! I'm definitely interested in seeds from the Cabe Gendot if you'd like to do a swap. I've had good luck growing Pubiscens varieties here once they've germinated, but getting them to pop is usually the sticking point. My theory is that since the Pubes are slow to grow and ripen compared to other Chile varieties, people harvest the pods when they look ripe, but the seeds aren't quite viable yet. I was able to germinate seeds I collected from a Manzano pod I grew a couple of years ago,  but I left the pod on the plant until it got over-ripe and a bit flabby before opening it up and extracting the seeds.

stickman said:

Great info Gary! I'm definitely interested in seeds from the Cabe Gendot if you'd like to do a swap. I've had good luck growing Pubiscens varieties here once they've germinated, but getting them to pop is usually the sticking point. My theory is that since the Pubes are slow to grow and ripen compared to other Chile varieties, people harvest the pods when they look ripe, but the seeds aren't quite viable yet. I was able to germinate seeds I collected from a Manzano pod I grew a couple of years ago,  but I left the pod on the plant until it got over-ripe and a bit flabby before opening it up and extracting the seeds.

You got it, Rick! That's some real solid reasoning, too...I had not considered it. I will leave these Cabe Gendot pods on the plant until they get "flabby," then harvest the seeds...

Streetspirit said:
What a see of green my friend!!! Looks like a banquet! :dance:

Lol, thanks Steve! I've got air-dried (viable seed) pods of Texas Pequin, which ship well to Europe...You want some?

Trident chilli said:
Gary beautiful photograph amazing to see all those pods ... plants are really prolific

Thanks John! You interested in the above offer?

Gary that's very kind of you a swap later in the year would be greatly appreciated. Just as a mater of interest how many plants roughly have covered the area in the photograph and would they be suitable to grow in a cooler climate than yours as our summers are so inconsistent. The reason I ask is I like the idea of the foot square raised bed ....

windchicken said:

You got it, Rick! That's some real solid reasoning, too...I had not considered it. I will leave these Cabe Gendot pods on the plant until they get "flabby," then harvest the seeds...

Lol, thanks Steve! I've got air-dried (viable seed) pods of Texas Pequin, which ship well to Europe...You want some?

Thanks John! You interested in the above offer?

Thank you for your availability my friend but I've still plenty of it! 2 Season ago I had a monster pequin that luckily gave me too much dried powders! You really kind anyway!  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Trident chilli said:
Gary that's very kind of you a swap later in the year would be greatly appreciated. Just as a mater of interest how many plants roughly have covered the area in the photograph and would they be suitable to grow in a cooler climate than yours as our summers are so inconsistent. The reason I ask is I like the idea of the foot square raised bed ....

Sure thing, John...There are two plants in the frame of the photograph. This is a particularly robust and productive variety; I would definitely try it in your raised bed, if you can spare the room...Just let me know when you are ready for some peppers.

Streetspirit said:

Thank you for your availability my friend but I've still plenty of it! 2 Season ago I had a monster pequin that luckily gave me too much dried powders! You really kind anyway!  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

You bet, Steve! Thanks! I know what you mean about Chile Pequin giving one TOO much production!!!  :P

Back