• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Windchicken 2016

For the last couple of years my season has finished up after the subsequent season had already started…I sowed my 2016 seeds last Saturday, but my 2015 Chile Manzano are just now bearing ripe fruit, 3 days later. Is it worth waiting over a year after sowing to get ripe fruit from these plants? HELLZ TO THE YEAH!!! Only the best chile in the world!!!

Manzano_Jan12.jpg

Saturday my "A" Team of pickers accomplished what would have taken me days to do by myself...These girls are the very best!

Nova's team with the final Bhut Orange Copenhagen harvest of 2016:

TeamNova01_nov19.jpg

Brandy picked some Zapotec Jalapeño pods for me to make Chiles en Escabeche:

TeamNova02_nov19.jpg

Rylee and the girls:

TeamNova03_nov19.jpg

Last of the New Mexico Chile. The ride back to Shreveport was aromatic as all heck:

TeamNova04_nov19.jpg

Fun at Mundy Bayou:

TeamNova05_nov19.jpg

On the East Bank of Mundy Bayou, we say goodbye to Chile Season 2016:

TeamNova07_nov19.jpg

Nice harvest. That's great you had some help. Looks like you all had some real fun. My boy is 10. He's a great help. I use to do everything by myself. He likes to garden as well. Don't know where he gets it from. I have a feeling he will be navigating through my hoophouse next year. I plan to over plant just for that reason. LOL

Thanks for sharing. BOC's look great!!!

Great group of keen helpers Gary

and a nice end of season harvest with great looking peppers......BOC look awesome mate ! !

Looking forward to your next years grow and to see what phenos you get with Matthews Wartryx :hot: :onfire:

Devv said:
That's great! Are any Grand Daughters? They look about the age of my oldest one.

And just how did you get today's kids to do work? ;) <-- Just kidding.

Nice haul Gary! Can I borrow them next season?

Glad you did so well!

Thanks Scott! In the first photo, the girl in the middle, holding the tray of BOC peppers, is my grand daughter, Nova, age 14. Believe it or not, they are eager to work, and actually consider picking peppers fun...I cannot say how much I am impressed with this particular generation of kids. They are scary creative, smart, and perceptive, and possess a social consciousness and degree of emotional maturity well beyond their years. To be honest, they seem to me to be evolved far beyond any generation I'm aware of...I don't say that lightly!

OCD Chilehead said:
Nice harvest. That's great you had some help. Looks like you all had some real fun. My boy is 10. He's a great help. I use to do everything by myself. He likes to garden as well. Don't know where he gets it from. I have a feeling he will be navigating through my hoophouse next year. I plan to over plant just for that reason. LOL

Thanks for sharing. BOC's look great!!!

Thanks John! Kids today are freaking awesome...Our future is in good hands, if we don't screw things up beyond salvation before they come of age! 

Datil said:
Amazing harvest Gary and nice to have young, smiling helpers :)

Datil

Thanks Fabrizio! I am blessed beyond measure...

Trident chilli said:
You are certainly lucky Gary to have such enthusiastic helpers .... great late harvest so many pods

Thanks John! I could not agree more!

Superhot Sim said:
Great group of keen helpers Gary

and a nice end of season harvest with great looking peppers......BOC look awesome mate ! !

Looking forward to your next years grow and to see what phenos you get with Matthews Wartryx :hot: :onfire:

Thanks Simmy! Next season seems like it will be a big one for sure... :P

Great closing to a wonderful season, Gary.  
Your photos and stories are always an inspiration;
hard to live up to your model, but you have set the
bar pretty high!

I took your advice and ordered some BOC seeds
from Jim Duffy at Refining Fire  - looking forward to
seeing how it handles out PNW climate.  And it is the
really the only 'super' I'm growing, except for my line
of Scorpions and some Fatalis from USHotStuff.  
Oh yeah, and Trippa's PDN x Bonda Ma Jacques   :think:

PaulG said:
Great closing to a wonderful season, Gary.  
Your photos and stories are always an inspiration;
hard to live up to your model, but you have set the
bar pretty high!

I took your advice and ordered some BOC seeds
from Jim Duffy at Refining Fire  - looking forward to
seeing how it handles out PNW climate.  And it is the
really the only 'super' I'm growing, except for my line
of Scorpions and some Fatalis from USHotStuff.  
Oh yeah, and Trippa's PDN x Bonda Ma Jacques   :think:

Oh, you are so kind, PG! Thanks so much!!!

I'm confident the BOC will do well in the PNW. After all, it's a Danish pepper, and an especially robust and productive one, in any climate! 

Wow, I ordered my very first super hot seeds from ushotstuff.com, way back in the day! I haven't heard that name in quite a while...I believe it was Trinidad Scorpion and Yellow Devil's Tongue. Both very fine plants....

I was not aware someone had another Bonda cross! Please, do tell!

Gary

I bought some seed from USHS my first season, as well!  

Trippa crossed a PDN and the Bonda some years back, and I have been growing it out for him.  
This year's harvest are the F5 pods, and the plant phenotype has been true for three generations.  
Next year will be the F6 pods, and then he wants to open it up to the wider community. Here are
a few pix of the F4 plants from this season:

Late Fall harvest:

Next season I am going to do a dedicated grow log for the F5's
to get some interest up in the community for growing out the F6.
Your name is at the top of the list, and I think Trippa is going to try
to get some down under folk to grow them as well.

Sorry to clog your glog with pictures   :D

PaulG said:
I bought some seed from USHS my first season, as well!  

Trippa crossed a PDN and the Bonda some years back, and I have been growing it out for him.  
This year's harvest are the F5 pods, and the plant phenotype has been true for three generations.  
Next year will be the F6 pods, and then he wants to open it up to the wider community. Here are
a few pix of the F4 plants from this season:

Late Fall harvest:

Next season I am going to do a dedicated grow log for the F5's
to get some interest up in the community for growing out the F6.
Your name is at the top of the list, and I think Trippa is going to try
to get some down under folk to grow them as well.

Sorry to clog your glog with pictures   :D

Beautiful fruit, Paul! Really striking to behold...Okay, I'm sorry, but I have ask: What is PDN? Wait, never mind, I just figured it out: Pimenta de Neyde

That's right, my friend!  I especially like them when they are a pale ivory
with the purple shading on them (pic #4).  All in all, a very striking cross.  
Plants grow to 4' or more in my big containers.  No telling how they might
perform in the ground with unlimited grow space for their roots.

I'll be growing with an eye toward seed production next season, and will
definitely send you some when the pods come in.

Trident chilli said:
Gary ... Rick's Gochu's are flyers I had excellent germination rates and I see Scott has a flower already... Wishing you all the best for this season

Thanks! I hope your season is going well, also!

Jase4224 said:
Hi Gary the BOC seeds arrived today and look great. Thanks for the Zopotec Jalepeno seeds too that's a nice bonus. I hope you received the Fat Baby Morich seeds I sent and you get the same pheno I did, this years pods are awesome!
I did get them, Jase! Thanks!

Back