• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Windchicken Grow 2011

Greg I thought the same thing untill i took a double take.

Thats one way to end the season...Nice harvest Gary!!
Those Aji Amarillo are nice sized pods!!
Those Bonnets sure are tasty!!!

I wonder if one could produce a nice stuffing pepper breeding those Aji Amarillo with a yellow 7pod.

Dont ask me why but i wanna cross everything with yellow7s :crazy:

Thanks for keeping the log for us!!!

Stephen

Bravo!!

I've enjoyed following your thread- I've learned a lot!
Good luck next season :dance:

Wow, thanks Emu! And thanks for looking!

Looks like a great harvest, thanks about the heads up with the Aji Amarillo. Was planning to grow this also next season, will start early with it.

Thanks Meat! Yeah, there's something real compelling about the Aji Amarillo...I can't really put my finger on it, but I know that whenever a chile (or any other thing or person) keeps "tickling my mind" like that I need to pay attention...

Beautiful pod artistry to the very end. Nice.

+1 on the great grow and also the superb photo work throughout! My wife, neighbors and others thought I was nuts as I crawled on my belly in the garden with my macro tube lenses and still I could never duplicate that quality.

Here's a question regarding your Jalmundo pictured earlier. Did they remain egg-shaped into maturity? That's how mine grew, but wasn't sure if it was my grow methods or lack thereof. I was thinking they should have been more elongated. I did end up with some nice fatties (for poppers).... :cool:

Wow, thanks Ken! That's quite a compliment. Sometimes late in the afternoon I like to squat down real low and watch the way the light hits the plants and pods...There's something very calming about that...

As far as I can remember, the Jalmundos all finished up with that oblong shape—apparently they never filled out. In the 2 years I've grown that variety, I've never been able to achieve those long pods like in the photo on the CPI web site. The only thing I can imagine I'm doing wrong is my late plant-out: Because of the extreme heat, the fruit set comes late in the season, resulting in heavy pod loads on the distal ends of the branches. I'm guessing the plant causes the pods to mature early in an effort to prevent damage to its branches? Even with extra plant support the pods seem to mature before they reach full size. The Jalmundo is a very popular chile with my group, so next year I will have 12 plants set out as early as possible, to mature in the more moderate conditions we have in late spring and early summer...

Looks like a great harvest I hope I can Have a harvest like that one i start growing.

Thanks BS! I know you will—I look forward to seeing your 2012 Grow!

Wow Gary, Still harvesting......I'm jealous!!!

When I first looked at the harvest photo my eyes were drawn in by those colorful containers of "Congo's and Bonnets........ :cool: & :cool:

I thought the containers were flanked by some "chili pepper fabric"......you had me fooled... :eek:

Obviously, more wonderful peppers!.....time to get my eyes checked.

Greg

Thanks Greg! That fabric does look a lot like real chiles, eh? I forgot to tell you, the Congo sauce rules! You have quite a nice touch with the balance of flavors.

Greg I thought the same thing untill i took a double take.

Thats one way to end the season...Nice harvest Gary!!
Those Aji Amarillo are nice sized pods!!
Those Bonnets sure are tasty!!!

I wonder if one could produce a nice stuffing pepper breeding those Aji Amarillo with a yellow 7pod.

Dont ask me why but i wanna cross everything with yellow7s :crazy:

Thanks for keeping the log for us!!!

Stephen

Thanks RB! Once it cooled off, the Aji Amarillo plants went to making fruit like crazy. I'm thinking next year maybe I'll start them in the fall, to give them a head start, like the guys that grow C. pubescens.

I'm glad you dig the the Scotch Bonnet. For me, it's emerging as the "noble" breed of the Caribbean C. chinense, and a super versatile chile at that. I'm thinking I will probably plant 2 rows of them next year.

The Aji Amarillo/Yellow 7 cross sounds tasty! I think you are just the guy to do it!

Thanks for following my grow! The encouragement is priceless. :)

I have to say that your grow thread was my favorite one to follow this season. Nice pictures, and nice diversity of chile types! Its good to see other chile addicts growing things besides the superhots/chinensis!

For some reason aji amarillo was always just barely missing my grow list, but not next season, I already have two going and more seeds in the dirt! Our summers are USUALLY much less extreme than yours (and those in Texas), so hopefully I will get some good pod set and ripened pods next summer.

I also must say that the powder I made from yellow scotch bonnets is my favorite for beans and rice and pizza! I never expected it to go so well with Honduran red beans and rice (The most common meal in my house)! So yes it is a versatile variety!

Thanks Greg! That fabric does look a lot like real chiles, eh? I forgot to tell you, the Congo sauce rules! You have quite a nice touch with the balance of flavors.

Whoa...what........haha, now you've got me looking at the photo with a magnifying glass........ :lol:
Thanks Gary, I'm glad you liked the sauce. I'm making one more before the holidays, it's a "Calypso" sauce. Scotch Bonnets with a few of your Congo's. It's a good one, maybe I'll finally throw a few photos in the sauce making forum ........yikes :eek:

Greg

I have to say that your grow thread was my favorite one to follow this season. Nice pictures, and nice diversity of chile types! Its good to see other chile addicts growing things besides the superhots/chinensis!

For some reason aji amarillo was always just barely missing my grow list, but not next season, I already have two going and more seeds in the dirt! Our summers are USUALLY much less extreme than yours (and those in Texas), so hopefully I will get some good pod set and ripened pods next summer.

I also must say that the powder I made from yellow scotch bonnets is my favorite for beans and rice and pizza! I never expected it to go so well with Honduran red beans and rice (The most common meal in my house)! So yes it is a versatile variety!

Wow, thanks Jesse, you guys are so kind! :)

I was real happy with the choices for the 2012 Grow, especially since before the plant-out I had never even tasted the 2 chiles types that ended up being my favorites: Congo Trinidad and Jamaican Scotch Bonnet. Every year I try to do a large grow of totally new chiles, so the choices are a pretty big gamble. Now I have to try to follow my best year ever...No pressure! :lol:

I've still got quite a few Scotch Bonnets left to process...Probably a real simply puree with lime juice, and now that you mention it, Scotch Bonnet Powder!

Whoa...what........haha, now you've got me looking at the photo with a magnifying glass........ :lol:
Thanks Gary, I'm glad you liked the sauce. I'm making one more before the holidays, it's a "Calypso" sauce. Scotch Bonnets with a few of your Congo's. It's a good one, maybe I'll finally throw a few photos in the sauce making forum ........yikes :eek:

Greg

:cool:

Greg, That sauce sounds killah! There should be some happy palates around your house for the holidays!

Back