• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Windchicken Grow 2011

Beautiful pods and I agree with you that they are superhot. I took a good bite out of one of these when I first tried one expecting it not to be superhot but soon regretted that, savage burn and cramps. I am not that fond of the taste it somehow tastes a bit chemical to me. How do you compare them to Fatalii are they the same? I will be growing Fatalii next season to see how they compare as so many of the peeps on THP love Fatali.

Thanks, Lando! After I read your post I tried another fresh Devil's Tongue, chopped up in a large bowl of grits, with olive oil and salt. Again, I'm pretty sure it was hotter than a same-sized Bhut Jolokia, but it's been a few weeks since I had one of those, so I could be wrong. But I don't think so. I didn't get a chemical flavor, and I was really trying to find that taste, but it just wasn't there. It was mostly very intense, fruity Habanero to me.

What I've not seen anyone mention here on the THP is my idea that the Devil's Tongue is North America's answer to the Bhut Jolokia. As far as I can tell, there is no other chile that originated in North America that is truly a super hot. The Devil's Tongue is searingly, brutally intense—way hotter than anything else I've had that was bred in the U.S.A. I know the Butch T technically comes from Louisiana and Mississippi, but that's just a variation of the Trinidad Scorpion, not a chile variety unto itself.

As far as comparing the Devil's Tongue with the Fatali—I can't really say, because I've only ever had one Fatali, and that was several months ago. But if memory serves, the flavor was quite a bit different, less fruity and more earthy, maybe? And definitely not as potent as the Devil's Tongue.

Hey Gary. I combined most of the Congo Trinidad with Red Habanero and smoked them all day with mesquite lumps in a Weber Kettle grill outside. If you like powders, YOU HAVE GOT TO TRY THIS!!! I have tried many hot and superhot powders the last couple of years, and nothing comes close to this flavor in my experience. Everyone I share this with goes nuts about how amazing it is. I think the key is to smoke them all day around 120-130 degrees. Just thought I would share in case you are wondering what to do with all those Congos still on the plants. Thanks again man.

Richard, that sounds great! I can't wait to smoke some of them !

Yah those Cajamarca have very purty pods.

I sure wish i had my old 86 f150. I love those good old simple engines without wires coming out the ying.

And looks like your ready for anther hog to cook up jerk style.

Have you tryed sausage balls made with wild hog!!! wooWee some good stuff right there.

Thanks, RB!

I'm definitely ready for some more jerk. I made some Scotch-Bonnet-and-Lime-Juice puree for Thanksgiving. All my family made a fuss over it—excellent on smoked ham—It looked like mustard, but about 10x tastier!

Sausage balls! Yeah, Dude! Are you sure you're not from Louisiana?

Sure your not from Florida. lol
Must just be a backwoods thing.

That Puree sounds like it would be great on a ham or a ham sandwich.

Grow on!

Hi Meat! Thanks! Things are still growing today, and even setting blossoms and new pods. But we are getting very close to the first killing frost—I'm looking for it any day now. There was a very cold night last week that defoliated the upper parts of my plants, but the chiles were unaffected. Photos to follow...

How are things over there? I'm guessing your outdoor season has been done for a while?

Yeah, the outdoor season is over for me, but I got a couple of plants going inside. Some of those pods are finally start too ripen. We only had 1 night with frost so far, the weather is pretty mild for this time of the year. I'm already making plans for next season :)

Thanks, Lando! After I read your post I tried another fresh Devil's Tongue, chopped up in a large bowl of grits, with olive oil and salt. Again, I'm pretty sure it was hotter than a same-sized Bhut Jolokia, but it's been a few weeks since I had one of those, so I could be wrong. But I don't think so. I didn't get a chemical flavor, and I was really trying to find that taste, but it just wasn't there. It was mostly very intense, fruity Habanero to me.

What I meant to say was that compared to my yellow 7 pods the taste seemed bit harsh to me. I have been eating a lot of yellow 7 lately in sause and raw and they have become a favorite. I will be growing DT again next year it's a beautiful plant to look at and very nice in powder.

I'm makin plans for next year as well. 45 or so in he next morn or 2 and it will be a good bit warmer once the sun warms it up, but the lower humidity really make them blow up...o

Been working on my grow list for a while now, too. It's an ever-changing work in progress that's only truly decided at plant-out time.

Mostly I need to write down "lessons learned" so I don't have to re-learn them yet another year!

What I meant to say was that compared to my yellow 7 pods the taste seemed bit harsh to me. I have been eating a lot of yellow 7 lately in sause and raw and they have become a favorite. I will be growing DT again next year it's a beautiful plant to look at and very nice in powder.

I can see that—The Devil's Tongue is a rather brutal sort of heat, while the Bhut, I suppose, could be described as "friendly fire." (I've never had a 7 Pot so I can't really make that comparison.) Nonetheless, I think I will have a nice-sized grow of Devil's Tongue next year.

The thing that I find compelling about the Yellow 7 is Hippy's description on his web site: 10-foot tall plants!!! Can that be right? How could any chile head not want to grow 10-foot tall chile plants?

Cold weather get your Garden yrt Gary?

Quick question when did you start, as in germinating, your plants for this nice garden?

The second frostbite came last night. I think maybe it wasn't too bad, as only the upper parts of the plants were damaged. It's supposed to be cold again tonight, though.

Most of the plants are stripped of their fruit now, however. The only pods still in the garden are Aji Amarillo, and they are massive green chiles that probably won't make it to ripeness before the sure-enough killing freeze. :( Also Guampinha de Veado and Aji Limon are still loaded, because I just don't have time to pick them all.

Last year I started my plants on February 4, for an April 1 plant-out. This year I will start on New Year's Day, to plant out in early March. I am attempting to have some nice production before the brutal heat comes in early June...

This is my Aji Panca plant, with its sole pod of my 2011 Grow, photo taken today, 6 December 2011.

With all my attention focused on the harvest, I let the poor little guy get frostbit, and he dropped several flowers as a result. Although the pod may appear ripe in the photo, the dark coloration is from the sun; the left side is still green:

PC060041.jpg

This plant is 4 feet tall:

PC060044.jpg

Poor little pod looking so lonely hope you can put it out of it's misery soon it looks delicious :beer:

Thanks, Lando! I've never had one of these chiles, and the anticipation is driving me crazy!

Hey Gary. You gonna cut that baby back or leave her be? That is if you overwinter it :dance:

Hey Jamie! I will overwinter it—I don't plan to cut it back, however. When spring rolls around I will probably just pot up and hope for bunches of pods...

Man Gary I would consider cutting it back for the winter. I did that with my datil a few weeks ago and it loves it. Here it was 3 weeks ago

100_2634.jpg

Here it is last night.

photo-162.jpg

I think it is gonna be a much easier plant to maintain now. I will keep you posted to see if it was a good idea. I have many plants that I will not cut back.

I'll try it, Jamie, as soon as that one pod gets ripe...

As the low temp last night was 25ºF, the photo below shows my very last harvest of 2011. Since I could recruit no help in picking, I was forced to leave quite a few chiles to ruin in the freeze. At the center top are Congo Trinidad, flanked on either side by Thai Chile, Garden Bird Seed variety. The yellow pods in the center of the photo are Jamaican Scotch Bonnet. Lower left is more Congo Trinidad and Chocolate Habanero, lower right is Cajamarca. The large green pods in the center bottom are Aji Amarillo. Sorry about leaving out the edges of the table, but my arms holding the camera are only so long:

PC080013.jpg

Aji Amarillo. These are quite tasty green, but I would have rather seen them have a chance to ripen:

PC080024.jpg

Aji Amarillo pods get large. Next season I will give them a head start, so maybe some will turn colored before the frost:

PC080025.jpg

Have a great Christmas, everyone, and a kickass Grow of 2012!

Looks like a great harvest, thanks about the heads up with the Aji Amarillo. Was planning to grow this also next season, will start early with it.

Beautiful pod artistry to the very end. Nice.

+1 on the great grow and also the superb photo work throughout! My wife, neighbors and others thought I was nuts as I crawled on my belly in the garden with my macro tube lenses and still I could never duplicate that quality.

Here's a question regarding your Jalmundo pictured earlier. Did they remain egg-shaped into maturity? That's how mine grew, but wasn't sure if it was my grow methods or lack thereof. I was thinking they should have been more elongated. I did end up with some nice fatties (for poppers).... :cool:

NuMex Jalmundo. These were planted late, in the heat of the summer, and are only now loading up with pods. The foliage is hiding an abundance of fat green chiles. In the row directly behind them are the Thai plants "Garden Bird Seed":

DSCF4401.jpg

NuMex Jalmundo. This is the results of my brother's thinning, to save the branches of the plants from further breakage, hence the small, immature pods:

DSCF4438.jpg

I'll try it, Jamie, as soon as that one pod gets ripe...

As the low temp last night was 25ºF, the photo below shows my very last harvest of 2011. Since I could recruit no help in picking, I was forced to leave quite a few chiles to ruin in the freeze. At the center top are Congo Trinidad, flanked on either side by Thai Chile, Garden Bird Seed variety. The yellow pods in the center of the photo are Jamaican Scotch Bonnet. Lower left is more Congo Trinidad and Chocolate Habanero, lower right is Cajamarca. The large green pods in the center bottom are Aji Amarillo. Sorry about leaving out the edges of the table, but my arms holding the camera are only so long:

PC080013.jpg

Aji Amarillo. These are quite tasty green, but I would have rather seen them have a chance to ripen:

PC080024.jpg

Aji Amarillo pods get large. Next season I will give them a head start, so maybe some will turn colored before the frost:

PC080025.jpg

Have a great Christmas, everyone, and a kickass Grow of 2012!

Wow Gary, Still harvesting......I'm jealous!!!

When I first looked at the harvest photo my eyes were drawn in by those colorful containers of "Congo's and Bonnets........ :cool: & :cool:

I thought the containers were flanked by some "chili pepper fabric"......you had me fooled... :eek:

Obviously, more wonderful peppers!.....time to get my eyes checked.

Greg

Back