• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

preservation wine vinegar vs basic & apple cider vinegar

ok this is a discussion about wine vinegars, basic distilled vinegar, & apple cider vinegar. well more so their acidity levels.

scorpion this is mostly for you, but everyone please join in with their knowledge of vinegars, please everyone can learn more if needed or if something is wrong.

scorpion you've said on several occasions this
"white wine vinegar as many have low acid and will not suit your preservation attempts."

yet nothing to back it up with, if you know something please explain your reasons.

otherwise I say BS!!!!
my swahili translation may not be the best but I'm gonna go out on a limb & take a wild guess & say they're the same acidity levels ;)
with this proof!

look in the ingredient list

DSCF2336.jpg

look on the label

DSCF2355.jpg

now I may be wrong to think they're all 5% acidity & equal for some odd reason, but I have this vibe they're all 5% (ones shown)

My Korean "Hwa Young Vinegar" rice vinegar from my local Asin foods store is 6.5%, yet sweeter than traditional types. Just rice, water, and glucose.

So, it needs less for a low pH, and gives a less 'vinegary' taste. :)

I belive mine is from Daesang. but I fail at reading Korean. ;)

Pix:

S6302245.JPG

S6302246.JPG

It's delish stuff, and was only $3.99 for 900ml.

(also makes a fantastic German Potato Salad)

-QS

Three of the bottles say "diluted with water to 5% acidity" - I belive white vinegar have over 20% acidity before it is diluted, at least we can buy it in Sweden with 24% acidity (called ättika) That one has to be diluted even if you use it for cleaning the bathroom:)

far as I know all are diluted with water

5% is 5% so in my eyes wine vinegar is the same as distilled cheap vinegar!!!! for whats sold around here.

they gotta test the stuff since they sell it commercially for its acidity!!!

chilehunter said:

5% is 5% so in my eyes wine vinegar is the same as distilled cheap vinegar!!!! for whats sold around here.

they gotta test the stuff since they sell it commercially for its acidity!!!

Percent ya, but diff taste and flavors.

QuadShotz said:
My Korean "Hwa Young Vinegar" rice vinegar from my local Asin foods store is 6.5%, yet sweeter than traditional types. Just rice, water, and glucose.

So, it needs less for a low pH, and gives a less 'vinegary' taste. :)
If it has more acid, yes, needs less, but no, not less of a vinegar taste, the vinegar taste comes from the acetic acid. Vinegar is diluted acetic acid. 10% will have double the vinegar taste (pungency) of 5%. You probably think it's milder because it's not a straight vinegar, it has sugar. Also you may be comparing rice to other types, and yes, then, they have different tastes.

Yeah, the rice one I could almst drink and tastes ok, regular generic vinegar... hell no. ;)

Prolyl is the glucose ya, just seems to taste better in sauces IMO

chilehunter said:

If you look in another isle at the supermarken than the one with sallad dressings you'll probably find white vinegar that isn't diluted as much. No need to carry home a lot of unnessecary water - if you have a stronger vinegar you don't need as much and that means you can add other ingredients.

As to the original question - wine vinegar cannot be as strong as white vinegar (talking about the produkt before it's watered down now). The acid comes from ethanol, and wine has a limited amount of that whereas white vinegar can and is made from pure alcohol.

But the only thing that is important is that you know that differnet vinegars have different levels of acidity so you don't get a nasty surprise later:)

people use & have no problem using 5% distilled white vinegar or 5% apple cider vinegar. so if theres no problem there then theres no problem using 5% wine vinegar!
if 5% basic vinegaer is safe & does the job I'd have to say 5% wine vinegar will work just fine, though with a better taste!

Back