• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

overwintering Winter coming to WI - will the little guys make it?

Well, I hate to say it but Winter is practically upon us here in northern Wisconsin. Two frost warnings have (thankfully) passed us by in the last week, but it's just a matter of another week or so before things will really cool down. And with the Bay of Green Bay a mile to the West, and Lake Michigan just a couple miles to the East, the unpredictable weather patterns mean a cautious approach is needed when thinking about one's precious pepper plants.

It's a nice time of year in many respects, the leaves will turn a gorgeous color of bronze, red and gold over the next two or three weeks, from the dirty brown and yellow colors we have at present. The Fall colors attract people to the area from all over the Midwest and beyond, signalling the last hoorah for our little tourist season here in Door County. By mid/end October, the place will be as dead as a doornail again, like the Marie Celeste.

But my little guys just ain't ready yet. It's their first season anywhere so what do they know about the cold weather in Wisconsin and when to expect its arrival? So like a sad old man hanging on to something from his youth, I'll be carrying them in and out of the house for the next few weeks, until they finish giving it up for daddy :) (thank God we don't have neighbors)

But it's all worth it. I didn't plant much this year but what I did plant has really exceeded my expectations -

These 'Super Chilies' can barely stand under the weight of their own pods, 2 harvests this season also.....
a1.jpg

Tabasco is way behind schedule, but full of pods......
a2.jpg

'Hotties' - whatever they are they're too hot to eat raw......
a3.jpg

Curious, the contrast in size....these are first-picks and some are way ahead of others...
a4.jpg

Nice hot relish in the pipeline I think.......
a5.jpg

Kung Paos - a utility pepper but a great producer - third pick for some of these.....
a7.jpg

Hurry up you little bastards...
a8.jpg

The reason for my melancholia....Fall.
a9.jpg

It'll soon be all white out there.
a10.jpg

Ah well, the last round of pepper pics for the 2011 season. Back next year (hopefully) on a bigger scale.

Thanks for looking.

R :) :) ZE

I feel your pain, buddy. Although I live a bit "south" of you (Cleveland, OH area), I spent most of one winter across the bay from you, in Marinette. Gotta admit, as much as I hate our winters here, I hated yours even more! Best of wishes to you and your little guys - hope they ripen quickly for you!

Sounds like you got a good handle on it, just south of you in Milwaukee, had a couple of warnings here too but have been spared to this point, as long as you can take them in at night you shouldnt have a problem. When it gets too cold during the day you will be golden with a south facing window.

Have a good one,

Chad

Have friends up in your neck of the woods, they are in Sister Bay area. Your weather sounds about like lower sw MN. Think fall has about won the battle.

Wow I can see your trees are going through the Autumn change of colors.......
It's always a nice site!

your little hotties look like orange habs, and judging from the translucent look to them, they are only a week or so from ripening, if they get @ least 20% orange, you can pick them and put them in a paper bag for a day or two and they will ripen fully, they are best smoked or roasted in my humble opinion, plus they make great mayonaise or bbq sauce, best of luck to you,
paul

I know exactly what you are going through, no warnings yet but there are only a couple more weeks left before I have to make a choice. Mine are in ground so I can't take them in at night, my hots have barely put out any pods and they are not showing any ripeness at all. I am going to wait another week or so and then put them in pots so i can move them in and out of a plastic greenhouse to hopefully get a ripe pod or two. Good luck.

Hey thanks folks for the well wishes,

We've supposedly had an inch of rain here overnight, so that should slow the color change a little.

Hi Geeme - I've never actually been to Marinette but I can see it across the bay. Living close to the water sure is fun in the Summer, but those 'lake effect' storms coming from Lake Michigan in the Winter sure do make life interesting!

@pepperfever - we moved down from Sister Bay a couple years back. Yep, we have family in MN and it seems we get whatever they've had a couple days down the line :) [you send us your weather, we sent you Brett Favre ha ha)

Well cheers to y'all and good luck to all the growers around here, hope everyone has had a great growing season so far!

Rooze

I've never actually been to Marinette but I can see it across the bay.
You're not missing much, especially in the winter. However, they do have a little pizza joint that makes the best fajita pizza I've had anywhere. I'm not usually a pizza fan, so that's saying a lot!

And yeah..... don't mention "lake effect" too loudly....... I'm on the east side of Cleveland, and we get slammed with it from Erie.

Well..I can't comment on your sending us Farve...lol the Vikings are still in a slump! We gladly share our weather with anyone who will take it. I took up the peppers for overwintering, trimmed them up and into their winter pots yesterday. I have quite a few pods in paper bags ripening. It's great, peppers all over. I don't have many super hots, yellow 7 pots are the hottest one. After our lousy weather I am happy to have any peppers. There's always next year.

Back