• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Winter Indoor Growing Adventure

Hello to all TheHotPepper

Today I decided to start a few peppers to find out if they will fruit indoors. Sown today Sweet Banana, Fire Cracker Ornamental, and Sweet Datil and seeds from the crushed red pepper spice bottle. On order Hungarian Hot Wax and Chiltepin. I'm unsure if there will be enough space to grow these peppers to full size but it's just for fun anyways.

Mine do flower excessively during the winter months but most if not all flowers drop off...
But then they are not growing in favorable conditions...

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone

I always plant 3 or 4 seeds in each pot then cull the weakest until one is left.

Datil pepper is the first to sprout in just 6 days.

100_1290.JPG

Alright, those Datil are an awesome pepper.
Surprisingly heated, in my experience growing
them. And very productive.

Last edited:
With the right lighting and temps, you shouldn't have any problems fruiting indoors. I'm doing an indoor grow this winter also. An oscillating fan would be extremely beneficial. It keeps fungus gnats away, it strengthens your plants and also helps with pollination. A must have in my opinion.

An oscillating fan would be extremely beneficial. It keeps fungus gnats away, it strengthens your plants and also helps with pollination. A must have in my opinion.
I need you to convince my fungus gnats of this! I'm breaking out the yellow paper today as I'm just starting to see some. I should have done it before I saw any, as I knew they'd be coming.

The fan definitely does help keep their numbers down, though, and is great for stem strengthening. Good recommendation :thumbsup:

Last edited:
With the right pest control fungus gnats are actually very easy to deal with. I had a real infestation when I took my overwinterers inside but they're all gone now. I used steinernema feltiae nematodes. After applying this, it takes about 10 days, after which nearly 100% of the gnats are gone!

Most of the seeds planted have sprouted except the crushed pepper flake. There is still time though.

The seller I bought Hungarian Hot Wax from must be from tim buck too because they still haven't arrived.

Here's a picture update. The first seedling to grow a new leaf will be the one I keep all others will be culled to one per pot.

100_1303.JPG

Most of the seeds planted have sprouted except the crushed pepper flake. There is still time though.

The seller I bought Hungarian Hot Wax from must be from tim buck too because they still haven't arrived.

Here's a picture update. The first seedling to grow a new leaf will be the one I keep all others will be culled to one per pot.

100_1303.JPG
What are you planning to use for lighting?

Back