• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

overwintering Winter is coming.26 kgs of pods from 8 plants and time for a haircut.

Winter is coming and its almost time to shut things down.10 months ago I started these under lights and so far I have harvested 26kgs(57 pounds) of pods before these pics were taken.
I decided to give the girls a haircut before my final harvest.2 Dorset Nagas,2 Choc bhuts,3 Carolina Reapers and a Yellow Scorpion.I think the large pots really made for heavy yields on these.

Go team! Those are some impressive plants. If you figure a 50 pods to a pound average, that's almost 3,000 pods.

hottoddy said:
Go team! Those are some impressive plants. If you figure a 50 pods to a pound average, that's almost 3,000 pods.
The two Dorset Nagsa I have been counting the pods.I have 2k from them alone not including the pods still on the plants  :)
moruga welder said:
look beautiful ! what was you feeding them  ?        :onfire:
Floranova Bloom

Awesome plants and incredible yield.  Doing the same thing, starting the grow now for the next season.  This is really helpful, I am trying to work out whether to go small pots (3 gallon) and more plants, or larger and less plants.  Looks like they had no trouble filling those big pots out.  

Now that it a very impressive harvest from those plants. Well done. You should definitely save those seeds from the plants as they have a great gene pool.

Bumper said:
Awesome plants and incredible yield.  Doing the same thing, starting the grow now for the next season.  This is really helpful, I am trying to work out whether to go small pots (3 gallon) and more plants, or larger and less plants.  Looks like they had no trouble filling those big pots out.
Swampy' results are pretty hard to argue with. It's something I've been saying for a while now: bigger pots, bigger yields. That's not the only benefit, though. In my experience, plants that have access to more nutrition and aren't as heavily rootbound tend to be healthier overall and have fewer issues with water, pests, and pathogens. Plus, I get much larger pods, on average, from plants grown out in larger pots:

As you pointed out, though, smaller pots means more plants, which means more varieties. And space management is an issue for any grower, no matter what scale you're growing on. So where's the sweet spot?

This is what's working for me. If it's a plant that I intend to sell, I grow it out in either a six or eight inch pot until it's at least got flowers, if not pods. The plants I intend to keep go in five gallon pots. If it's a variety that I'm especially stoked about or that I know I'm going to use a lot (different Morugas, Reapers, rare baccatums, wilds, etc.) it goes in at least a fifteen gallon pot, if not a 20 or a 25. I tend not to go larger than that anymore because I find it to be a case of diminishing returns; essentially, the plant begins to occupy more real estate than it's worth compared to something in a slightly smaller pot.

Wicked Mike said:
Swampy' results are pretty hard to argue with. It's something I've been saying for a while now: bigger pots, bigger yields. That's not the only benefit, though. In my experience, plants that have access to more nutrition and aren't as heavily rootbound tend to be healthier overall and have fewer issues with water, pests, and pathogens. Plus, I get much larger pods, on average, from plants grown out in larger pots:

As you pointed out, though, smaller pots means more plants, which means more varieties. And space management is an issue for any grower, no matter what scale you're growing on. So where's the sweet spot?

This is what's working for me. If it's a plant that I intend to sell, I grow it out in either a six or eight inch pot until it's at least got flowers, if not pods. The plants I intend to keep go in five gallon pots. If it's a variety that I'm especially stoked about or that I know I'm going to use a lot (different Morugas, Reapers, rare baccatums, wilds, etc.) it goes in at least a fifteen gallon pot, if not a 20 or a 25. I tend not to go larger than that anymore because I find it to be a case of diminishing returns; essentially, the plant begins to occupy more real estate than it's worth compared to something in a slightly smaller pot.
Sweet jesus that's a pod and a half!!  I like your philosophy on pot size, makes sense.  Bahamian goat pepper is definitely getting the love with a 20.

Wicked Mike said:

I have been keeping a detailed record of weights each time I harvest pods so that when I do my final harvest next week I can see what each container size produced but so far it looks like the 17 gallon is the sweet spot.The 29 gallon produced bigger plants but not much more pod weight.I think this season I will use 13 and 17 gallon so I can have more variety.
If I can get pods the size of your one I would be a happy camper  :)
Helvete said:
Are those all first year plants?
Yes.Stared under lights early June  :)

Back