• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

overwintering Winter-Summer in OZ "Comparison" / Aussie Blabberers

Who will win?

• A muppet

Votes: 20 34.5%
  • A muppet

Votes: 15 25.9%
  • A muppet

Votes: 23 39.7%

• Total voters
Well that settles it went out for a closer look and it is definitely a baccatum (looking likely a bishops crown by the shape)judging by the flower and that great scent the baccatum flowers have.
But it has always been labeled a yellow 7pot/pod and never switched I know this for a fact as it was one of my first plants grown and I didn't have any other baccatums at the time except the Aji Lemons.
I also know I didn't have any Bishops crown seeds until this was extremely well established and I know exactly where those plants are located.

So it would seem its a cross (or more likely a rogue seed from the pack that somehow got into the seed packet down at THSC.) Gutted I was looking forward to the yellow 7 pot pods. I guess I should be more observant (although I don't know if any of you remember but I mentioned a while back on the different growth habits I had noticed in my 2 yellow 7 pot/pods and Candice remarked it may well be a different phenotype and I simply thought the same and moved on...seems it was a completely different type of chilli !!! ) ahh well at least I have another (I am hoping true) yellow 7 pot and also a couple of 7pot/pod Jonahs.

Yeah I was going to say what everyone else already did - Bishops Crown. All your plants look healthy Trippa, really growing well for ya. :beer:

Please don't anyone think I am saying bad things and I'm not dissing Neil or accusing him, he is a great guy, but he did tell me last year that he doesn't believe in isolating and thinks cross pollination is rare if at all or that his growing style prevents it, so perhaps a bee did it? Otherwise yeah could have been a rogue seed that got accidently mixed up. We are human and it can happen.

Please don't anyone think I am saying bad things and I'm not dissing Neil or accusing him, he is a great guy, but he did tell me last year that he doesn't believe in isolating and thinks cross pollination is rare if at all or that his growing style prevents it, so perhaps a bee did it? Otherwise yeah could have been a rogue seed that got accidently mixed up. We are human and it can happen.

Oh I have nothing but great things to say about THSC and Luke and Neil have always treated me fantastically. Plants are natural and so are mistakes/natural/freak occurrences so I am more then happy to simply have a healthy happy podding plant to be honest.

Maybe it will be a super hot Yellow bishops crown :lol: . Either way whatever happened its certainly not the end of the world and I am and will continue to be a repeat customer of THSC.

Oh I have nothing but great things to say about THSC and Luke and Neil have always treated me fantastically. Plants are natural and so are mistakes/natural/freak occurrences so I am more then happy to simply have a healthy happy podding plant to be honest.

Maybe it will be a super hot Yellow bishops crown :lol: . Either way whatever happened its certainly not the end of the world and I am and will continue to be a repeat customer of THSC.
Yes that is true. And hey it is producing nice pods!
Now that might be cool, a superhot bishops crown :hell:

edit:hey Trippa I hope you werent offended with what I said. I was in no way implying for you to take your business elsewhere just trying to offer an answer to your problem...

To my understanding though, if it is a chinense x baccatum hybrid (with chinense being the mother--which would be the case if Neil was securing seeds from a Yellow 7 Pod pod), it will fail to produce seeds. :(

Apparently baccatum x chinense is able to be hybridized but not chinense x baccatum.

EDIT:

http://digitalcommons.butler.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1268&context=botanical&sei-redir=1&referer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com.au%2Fsearch%3Fsclient%3Dpsy-ab%26hl%3Den%26site%3D%26source%3Dhp%26q%3Dbaccatum%2Bx%2Bchinense%26btnG%3DSearch#search=%22baccatum%20x%20chinense%22

To my understanding though, if it is a chinense x baccatum hybrid (with chinense being the mother--which would be the case if Neil was securing seeds from a Yellow 7 Pod pod), it will fail to produce seeds. :(

Apparently baccatum x chinense is able to be hybridized but not chinense x baccatum.

shhh you are ruining my super-hybrid chilli fantasies :rofl:

shhh you are ruining my super-hybrid chilli fantasies :rofl:
:lol:

You can have some of these seeds if it ends up producing....

IMG_6488.jpg

Aji Amarillo x Yellow Trinidad Scorpion--my first hybrid! :D

(It's funny, I was just coming on here before to share my exciting news when we start talking about baccatum/chinense crosses.....)

Nice work Gas!

I really want to do some breeding, have to get them to produce a crossed pod first. Asked my mum to make me some little bags out of a curtain for isolating. I'd do it myself if I wasn't sure I'd get my fingers trapped in the sewing machine :eek:.

When I was drying seeds from pods I had them grouped and labelled in piles on paper towel on a plate. Just a small bump made them fly all over the place! Probably not the best method. I saw that Sandgroper (haven't seen him on here for a while) dried his by putting them in little paper bags hung on a clothesline. Much better idea. I'm guessing the bishop's crown plant is just a seed that went on a journey.

I really want to do some breeding, have to get them to produce a crossed pod first.
So you've tried cross-pollination but the pod didn't produce?

I've had a bitch of a time trying to cross-pollinate! I made several attempts last season, most of which failed to produce except for two, and of those two, one dropped not long after it started to form. The one that did form ended up having very few seeds, none of which germinated for me. :(

Even this one I had my doubts on after the parent pod failed to fully ripen:

IMG_6452.jpg

The tip just stayed green and after giving it another week decided that was as ripe as it was getting and picked it. Cut it open and saw not only the placenta was still green but also the seeds were smaller than that of a usual Aji Amarillo and had even less hope.

The first crossing experiments I tried all dropped their flowers, but I was sort of rough on them. Am letting them do their own thing until I can get the isolation bags.

Will definitely have to double up the shadecloth cover for them, it was so hot today a whole bunch of buds and proto-pods dropped. Haven't seen any flower drop so far this season.

edit: I innoculated my plants with bokashi juice and gogo juice today. They got a fungaciding last week so now they are crawling with micro this and that. After all my earlier whingeing about growth problems they don't look as bad today. Drilling the additional holes in the buckets made a difference.

GOOOOOO CHILLI :dance:

@wildfire - It takes a lot more then that to offend me :lol: and I don't think anyone would think for a moment it was anything but a helpful post ..... so thanks!!

@gas - mean looking cross bro hopefully it is some sort of freak for you and produces a ton of seed for sharing, I have never had an Aji Lemon pod it seems to be a very divisive flavour with some people loving it and others who can't stand it but it was one of the ones I am really looking forward to

@mega - Good to hear things may be turning around for you bro .... long may it continue

hey trippa whats the purple plant you have?

I have 3-4 plants with purple hues (And hopefully 1 more with the purple flash plants to come I already had some sprout but due to a trial I conducted they all de-sprouted pretty quick :oops: )

The Explosive Ember, The Black Prince, the Purple Tigers (only small at the moment) and the tallest one (and I also have one which is only little at the moment) is a Pimenta De Neyde (Via and Courtesy of the most generous JR). Heard they are not necessarily the best tasting but the pods stay purple which is pretty cool I think.

Yesterday was a nice day so I decided to clean up another garden bed.My back is very burnt from being out there :( :onfire: . Weeded it and added dynamic lifter and blood and bone and turned the soil. Will water it in this week and allow it to start breaking down and releasing nutrients and then will hopefully plant on the weekend since it is going to be cooler and cloudy/raining.

Eeeeek. Don't turn the soil, you ruin all the beautiful air pockets created by worms! That's some of the science that's being undertaken at the moment where it's been proven that non turned soil outperforms turned soil in subsequent growing seasons.

I know people used to turn soil due to all the weeds, but with proper mulching you'll significantly reduce your weeds and not need to turn the soil.

@wildfire - It takes a lot more then that to offend me :lol: and I don't think anyone would think for a moment it was anything but a helpful post ..... so thanks!!

Oh good, yeah I thought twice about posting it because people could take it the wrong way but I was trying to offer an explanation since you said there was no way you could have mixed it up or labelled it wrong.

I have 3-4 plants with purple hues (And hopefully 1 more with the purple flash plants to come I already had some sprout but due to a trial I conducted they all de-sprouted pretty quick :oops: )

The Explosive Ember, The Black Prince, the Purple Tigers (only small at the moment) and the tallest one (and I also have one which is only little at the moment) is a Pimenta De Neyde (Via and Courtesy of the most generous JR). Heard they are not necessarily the best tasting but the pods stay purple which is pretty cool I think.
Awesome, I love purple plants and the purple flash is pretty cool. I also find that they don't get aphids unless there is a serious outbreak! It must be something to do with antyhocin(sp?)

Eeeeek. Don't turn the soil, you ruin all the beautiful air pockets created by worms! That's some of the science that's being undertaken at the moment where it's been proven that non turned soil outperforms turned soil in subsequent growing seasons.

I know people used to turn soil due to all the weeds, but with proper mulching you'll significantly reduce your weeds and not need to turn the soil.
I turned the soil because about 4 months ago my partner put a load of soil on it and some zeolites and I just put in some blood and bone which requires you to dig it in (otherwise it would blow away. Under that soil we put down is just grey sand. Very bad sandy soil which doesn't hold any nutrients or water. I wasn't turning it for the weeds, just to improve the soil before I plant. Oh and I have never seen an earthworm in there, I was actually thinking of buying a box of them from bunnings and scattering them around my garden???
With the last garden bed I used lupin mulch but that has pretty much broken down to a 1cm thick mulch, so may have to redo that one soon. I used to use hay/straw but gotta make sure I get the right one because one of them sprouts peas everywhere!

I turned the soil because about 4 months ago my partner put a load of soil on it and some zeolites and I just put in some blood and bone which requires you to dig it in (otherwise it would blow away. Under that soil we put down is just grey sand. Very bad sandy soil which doesn't hold any nutrients or water. I wasn't turning it for the weeds, just to improve the soil before I plant. Oh and I have never seen an earthworm in there, I was actually thinking of buying a box of them from bunnings and scattering them around my garden???
With the last garden bed I used lupin mulch but that has pretty much broken down to a 1cm thick mulch, so may have to redo that one soon. I used to use hay/straw but gotta make sure I get the right one because one of them sprouts peas everywhere!

I hate pea straw, I will never buy it again. I much prefer sugar cane mulch, no seeds in there to sprout, and it prevents weeds perfectly. Also makes the worms come from everywhere, they love the stuff.

One thing you could potentially look at is a Garden Bed Worm Farm. Essentially you fill the top with food scraps etc., and the worms will go bury their castings back into the soil. If it gets too hot, the worms can take refuge in the soil itself where the temps are lower, and then come back to the container in the night once it's cooled down.

Be aware, compost worms and earth worms are very different. Compost worms are top feeders, where as earth worms stay well below the surface.

Back