• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds Wood glue and purebred seeds

Does anybody here have experience with getting purebred seeds by dipping the buds or flowers into diluted wood glue?

Q-tipping the pollen needs open flowers so you never know if the flower already has been dusted. That's why some people here in Germany seem to prefer the glue. But I didn't try until now.

cmpman1974 said:
I hear the glue method works well with some varieties..others not so well.

Chris

Can you tell me which varieties might work and which not? Is it a annuum-, chinense- etc. -thing or does it refer to the sub-varieties?

imaguitargod said:
With the q-tip, you can remove the leaf from a unopened flower to get to the pollen.

I understand. Thanx.

Btw: how consequently do you q-tip and how do you mark the q-tipped flowers?

Just rub some of the pollen on the q-tip, find a flower that's about to open, remove a few leaves on the flower, remove the pollen sacs to get to the stigma, and rub the pollen on it.

Mark it with a twist tie or tie a string around it (lightly!)

I have never tried the glue or liquid latex method, but I think it's a matter of having strong, big buds and using as little glue as possible, otherwise the bud might be sealed forever.

I agree with IGG, a string works best and if you are unsure about the Q-tip method and don't wanna try the glue, use teabags to cover the unopened buds and slighty shake them a when the flower opens and remove the teabag when there's a small pod.

Damm, where did I see the pics of this working, I think it was an Italian chilli head!! I remember seeing unopened flowers covered in latex glue, the flowers can sill open (pics on the web somewhere!) I was going to try this but went for the tulle instead.......

I know many people who successfully use the glue method but some do have problems with flower drop.
I don't see how the q-tip method could possibly guarantee purity, can someone explain this to me. Personally I'd use tulle or isolate a plant indoors or at a friend's house until pods form.

I have isolated my crosses and used the t-bag/Glue and qtip method..the Bag and Qtip have and are giving me good results :)

Armadillo said:
Does anybody here have experience with getting purebred seeds by dipping the buds or flowers into diluted wood glue?

You don't need that it is way easy just cover the plant with cheese cloth & tie on bottom with rope that will do it for you you don't have to worry bees cross polinated.:lol:

915river said:
You don't need that it is way easy just cover the plant with cheese cloth & tie on bottom with rope that will do it for you you don't have to worry bees cross polinated.:lol:

There are various grades of cheese cloth. How fine should the weave be? Doesn't it disturb the plant from growing? Mechanically and by taking away the light?

Back