• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

smoking Woods for smoking

I smoke a lot of pepper but I really wouldn't call them chipotles, just smoked peppers. Chipotles are actually cold smoked for several days until dry using traditional Mexican woods(pecan/mesquite), pits, and techniques.
I like to cold/cool smoke pods for several days but I've also had fairly good sucess with 5-6 hours low/medium heat dry smoke and then finish in the dehydrator

someone once said "every chipotle is a smoked chile, but not every smoked chile is a chipotle". POTAWIE, was that you?

Here are my apple chips curing. I have a box fan where I stood to take this that is blowing over them 24/7 and I rake and move them everyday and bag up the completely dry ones that work front.
100_1451.jpg

[sub]How long will that amount last?[/sub]

[sub]How long will that amount last?[/sub]
Until lord knows when. I just know that the bags that cost $5 in the store are small and I could now fill probably 50-80 of them. Would you like some??

I gave away 2 paper grocery bags full last week on freecycle just to make space. I have about half this much that is cherry and slightly less then the cherry in pear wood. The smoker will be going good this winter.

Very cool Justaguy. Oh and a big thank you for the cherry smoked scorpions. My tongue is a bit pissed at you at the moment, but I thank you.

Ok just smoked a 1 + inch rib eye for 3 hours.oak and hickory.I`m in loveeeeee!Will be trying peach and apple next week with a 14 lb pork butt.

Hello, I have used Apple Wood on the few occasions I smoked my peppers. I have the insert doubled and have bird peppers and Aribibi Gusano Peppers in the bottom. I keep it at 150 degrees for around 5 hours. I then rinse the ash or creosote with hot water for a fast spray. I then dehydrate as long as it takes going through the trays as needed. I run it at around 145-150f also. My understanding is 150f kills any bad organisms. This is my first attempt to post a pic. hope it works ! https://picasaweb.google.com/103023565180884852093/ProfilePhotos#5670223521087297842

Hello, I have used Apple Wood on the few occasions I smoked my peppers. I have the insert doubled and have bird peppers and Aribibi Gusano Peppers in the bottom. I keep it at 150 degrees for around 5 hours. I then rinse the ash or creosote with hot water for a fast spray. I then dehydrate as long as it takes going through the trays as needed. I run it at around 145-150f also. My understanding is 150f kills any bad organisms. This is my first attempt to post a pic. hope it works !
IMG_0694.JPG

FTFY. (click on the image button- insert the URL of the image into the pop up box)

i've found i prefer good old hickory to the fruit woods for smoking peppers or tomatoes. i'll use mesquite sometimes for jalapenos for a more "authentic" southwestern flavor but it has the distinct disadvantage of not being free. i do like apple with meats and fishes though.

has anyone here ever tried rosemary wood for smoking? i have some saved that i'm going to try on tomatoes next summer.

Hi Bluegrass. nice to meet you.

In your reference to 150F killing the nasties, I'm not sure to what you are referencing. For smoking and drying, there might need to be some more information. For smoking, temps run (I'm a TOTAL NOOB so others please correct my guesses! ) cabinet temps run from 150-225F for smoking chiles.

For dehydrating in a fan-type dryer, temps are usually 105-120F. Dehydrating usually doesn't have any smoke thing going on. But you can dehydrate using your smoker. And you can dehydrate previously smoked chiles. There is the difference between smoking and dehydrating.

Can you share some more info?
SL

FTFY. (click on the image button- insert the URL of the image into the pop up box)

i've found i prefer good old hickory to the fruit woods for smoking peppers or tomatoes. i'll use mesquite sometimes for jalapenos for a more "authentic" southwestern flavor but it has the distinct disadvantage of not being free. i do like apple with meats and fishes though.

has anyone here ever tried rosemary wood for smoking? i have some saved that i'm going to try on tomatoes next summer.

Rosemary, Grapevines........I have a large "Sage" garden.... that too, it all adds flavor
For those whose "Garden's Cook" ....try taking some of your finely grown herbs and put them in water under the basket or colander when steaming vegetables or seafood. We'd do that all the "thyme"....in the resturant, it does add heaps of flavor!

Greg

Thanks Biscgolf for posting the pic ! SL I have only smoked 3 or 4 times on my Weber. I don't have the Big Chief Smoker. I have the Weber "smoking insert" as well as a basic dehydrator. I had to use this combined method as the grill set up is not efficient time wise. After 5-6 hours that is smokey enough for me. I need to cut the larger pods in half. I think the weber might take me 20 hours ? That's why I use the dehydrator. The Rosemary sounds really tasty !

Awesome topic! I just read through it and I'm loving all the info/new ideas. You guys rock!

I mainly use fruit woods (apple/cherry/pear/plum) as I find them to be more forgiving than hickory or mesquite for what I do. Mostly I'm trying to infuse a subtle smoke undertone into fire-roasted/seared peppers. I've smoked with oak, mesquite & hickory but it seems like even a 30 min dusting results in overpowering my sauce with the very specific mesquite/oak/hickory flavor. I've had good success with pecan, which to me tastes like a "light hickory" flavor - slightly sweeter too.

I've also heard of mixing woods for complimentary flavors - "pecan/alder" "apple/cherry" and "pecan/cherry" most often.

A friend told me he used persimmon and that it was light and not at all acrid.

Here in CA we have a lot of manzanita. It's a ridiculously hard wood and when I've burned it at a campfire it left a somewhat pleasant smell on clothes - anyone here have any experience with manzanita? (hmmm...,I may have to use the google...)

Rosemary, Grapevines........I have a large "Sage" garden.... that too, it all adds flavor
For those whose "Garden's Cook" ....try taking some of your finely grown herbs and put them in water under the basket or colander when steaming vegetables or seafood. We'd do that all the "thyme"....in the resturant, it does add heaps of flavor!

Greg

I love rosemary when used creatively - a good friend does wine-marinated lamb-kabobs using the rosemary branches as the skewers. Holy delicious batman!

Ok, found two things on Manzanita:

From Wikipedia...."Manzanita wood, when dry, is excellent for burning in a campfire, barbecue, fireplace, or stove. It is dense and burns at a high temperature for long periods. However, caution should be exercised, because the high temperatures can damage thin-walled barbecues, and even crack cast iron stoves or cause chimney fires."

Ok, that's bad.

Wait - also this:
I've smoked with manzanita a few times, and it's really good, especially on ribs or chicken. It has a pronounced, yet very smooth flavor that isn't overbearing like hickory can be. Honestly, I'm very surprised that it's not more popular than it is.
(thank you, BBQ Brethren forums)

Any personal experiences here?

Here in CA we have a lot of manzanita.
Any personal experiences here?

I've added chunks of manzanita to my smoker several times, works well. In flavor, closer to oak than the fruit woods I usually use.

I have a friend who frequently grills/hot smokes chickens over a fire of manzanita burls. Tastes great and no problems with it burning too hot, but I suppose you might want to be careful with a pure manzanita wood fire if you give it a lot of air.

Ok I got a lead to an fallen 85 foot tall Hickory. Went and cut a good bit today and was shown a Chestnut. I cut some for my outdoor fire and while cutting it with the chainsaw noticed it smelled like BBQ sauce. So I have to ask, can you smoke with chestnut and has anyone ever done it? I put the end of a split piece in the coals to get it going then pulled it out and the smoke smelled wonderful. Should I get some chestnut chipped up when I take the birch I got 2 weeks ago and some of this hickory?

Back