• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Worm Castings

Any body ever grow their peppers in worm casting?

My daughter has started a worm farm and I am going to use the castings to plant all my peppers in. I am also going to use the liquid "worm tea" to fertilize them.

Just wondering if anyone tried this before, and with what results

I've used worm castings in the soil mix for peppers, but I've never used pure worm castings. If I remember correctly, what you feed your worms can effect the NPK ratios of the castings. There are bunches of sites on line, you might want to google and read up a bit.

I've used worm castings quite a bit. About 15 years ago I had a large vermicomposter where I lived, and I always say I'm going to start up another one but haven't. I've also purchased worm casings when it was on sale for a ridiculously off-season low price at walmart one year.

I still do. the secret (for me anyway) is to feed them chickpeas and some lentil seeds. of course you feed them with everything, just focus on those two. what worms are you using? good luck my friend. :)

we've got Super Reds, Red wigglers and Night Crawlers....3 different bins. We are goin to a larger scale set up in the spring.

Red wigglers are the ones I'd recommend, but from what someone (ahm... POTAWIE) once told me, it all depends on your weather.

I have red worms and, on general house organic stuff, NPK tested as 3:1:1. Makes for lots of vegatative growth.

I use both castings and tea but bring up the P and K for use in the garden with chiles.

I like worm castings in my tea too.

*re-reads website on worm casting tea*

Oh...You don't drink the stuff?

what if all i ate for a week was chick peas and lentils? Could i squirt some shit right into the garden from the tap? Just wondering.

okay thanks!

I threw in a couple bags of castings right into the garden last year.

I have no idea what the effect was by itself though, I saw some bags on sale and bought em and added them to the mix.

fineexampl said:
what if all i ate for a week was chick peas and lentils? Could i squirt some shit right into the garden from the tap? Just wondering.

okay thanks!
Yes, but it won't be as good and probably a lot more disgusting.

fineexampl said:

okay thanks!

LOL....image the expresion on the neighbors face!!!! LOL :shocked:

i bought it once and the dude asked if i was growing weed. i don't think he beleived me when i said it was for african violets.

GrumpyBear said:
i bought it once and the dude asked if i was growing weed. i don't think he beleived me when i said it was for african violets.
When I go to the local weed-growing shop, I get the same reaction! :shocked:

Speaking of weed....

I was searching for something to do with growing and processing peppers and I found my answers on a website dedicated to growing weed...

never realized the similarities between growing Peppers and growing weed....

Back