• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

worth a quick read.

I grew some Naga's this year and they weren't as hot as I was hoping so I wonder if that article has anything to do with it.

20,000 generations? Yup, I got time to develop a hotter chili... :rofl:

Well at first I was interested....then not so much. It is interesting though I wonder what peppers they were dealing with and if this is true to all pepper types. Limited article but thank you for the post.

they were looking at C. chacoense ranging from cooler, drier upland areas of Bolivia down to the warm, moist areas at lower elevation. from the abstract there was no indication that chile hotness would change with different treatment, but that a hot chile under drought stress would produce fewer seeds and a mild chile is more susceptible to attack by pathogenic fungi.

nice story with a great evolutionary bio twist (that's my specialty). Thanks, sidewinder!

I have a slightly different view, water uptake is part of the equation, but peppers, like people, depend on minerals to
maximize efficiency. The rainy wet areas will be more deficient in water soluble minerals thus limiting the amount the plants can absorb/retain
during its lifetime & will limit the maximum effective use of a continuous watering cycle. The mineral content of soils in Bolivia
differs from most other parts of the world also, so a study conducted strictly in Bolivia would have different results in other areas. Bottom
line is to not only make sure of your fertilizer, but make sure of your micro nutrients and ph of your soil to grow the hottest peppers in your area.(tempature is a big factor too, but wasn't part of the survey).

Back