• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Would this be ok?

So I made a couple batches of hot sauce but I didn't bottle them properly. I didn't check Ph levels, I didn't sterilize bottles properly, I doubt that I cooked the sauce long enough or hot enough before it all went into mason jars, and then some went into 5 ounce woozies. And then everything went into the fridge. Now that I have thoroughly investigated this site and know what to do...would it be ok for me to take my sauce out of the fridge, re-heat, and re-bottle it the way it's suppossed to be done?

I had some thin stuff in mason jars that was canned right and I opened, boiled down and bottled with no issues. I would say add a cup of water to the pot/kettle when you dump it all in. Bring to a rolling boil for 5 minutes then reduce to a bubbling simmer for 25 minutes. Total of 30 minutes from time boil starts to putting in bottles.

Show
flash.gif
flash.gif
flash.gif

Edit: to say boil longer if need for thickness.

I had some thin stuff in mason jars that was canned right and I opened, boiled down and bottled with no issues. I would say add a cup of water to the pot/kettle when you dump it all in. Bring to a rolling boil for 5 minutes then reduce to a bubbling simmer for 25 minutes. Total of 30 minutes from time boil starts to putting in bottles.

Edit: to say boil longer if need for thickness.

+1

As long as it hasn't spoiled.

how long has the sauce been in fridge whats the main ingredients? vinegar and salt tend to inhibit bacteria growth. if you pull it and cook it all over it should be fine. if you run your mason jars and lids through a dishwasher and use the heat dry cycle that's all you would need though you can boil the jars and lids(10-15 mins I think) if your worried. After your vacuum seal a mason jar there's no need to refrigerate it my Grandma used to store them on a shelf in the basement the stuff lasted all year till the next season.

how long has the sauce been in fridge whats the main ingredients? vinegar and salt tend to inhibit bacteria growth. if you pull it and cook it all over it should be fine. if you run your mason jars and lids through a dishwasher and use the heat dry cycle that's all you would need though you can boil the jars and lids(10-15 mins I think) if your worried. After your vacuum seal a mason jar there's no need to refrigerate it my Grandma used to store them on a shelf in the basement the stuff lasted all year till the next season.
Sauce has been in the fridge for 1 week, the ingredients are habs, onions, garlic, vinegar, lime juice, salt, pepper, and water. I did wash the jars and lids out with antibacterial dish soap, and I did bring the sauce to a boil and then a simmer but it was very brief...I have 5 oz. woozy's being delivered, and will most certainly sterilize them properly prior to adding the sauce. So...my plan is to have bottles sterilizing on one burner, having sauce on another, checking temps and times on both, and then quickly emptying one bottle at a time, filling it with sauce, screwing the cap on and turning it upside down for 10 minutes. Yes? I also thought I saw a method of sterilizing woozies by throwing them in an oven at a certain temp for X amount of minutes. True? Sounds easier than boiling them in water for 15 minutes.

Make sure that you sterilise the air and the water too. :crazy:

I have been making sauces a while now and to me your sauce would have been fine the way it was. No need to go overboard unless you are an obsessive compulsive or plan to store forever. Relax mon.

Sauce has been in the fridge for 1 week, the ingredients are habs, onions, garlic, vinegar, lime juice, salt, pepper, and water. I did wash the jars and lids out with antibacterial dish soap, and I did bring the sauce to a boil and then a simmer but it was very brief...I have 5 oz. woozy's being delivered, and will most certainly sterilize them properly prior to adding the sauce. So...my plan is to have bottles sterilizing on one burner, having sauce on another, checking temps and times on both, and then quickly emptying one bottle at a time, filling it with sauce, screwing the cap on and turning it upside down for 10 minutes. Yes? I also thought I saw a method of sterilizing woozies by throwing them in an oven at a certain temp for X amount of minutes. True? Sounds easier than boiling them in water for 15 minutes.

Your plan sounds good, Mike.

If you want to do the oven method, rinse the bottles first to get any dust, etc, out of and off of the bottles. 200F for 30 minutes should be fine, or you can go hotter, say 250F for 20 minutes. If going for the 250F, you'll probably want the bottles to cool a little bit before handling/filling.

It's the heat that kills nasties. It doesn't mater if the heat is from boiling water or the oven. Food Processors are supposed to hot pack at minimum 180-190F, so if the bottles are over that temp, mission accomplished.

Sounds like you have to right basics. I'd say go for the re-pack.

edit- and WELCOME~

Yep, it sounds like it should be ok IMO.

I usually do a "raw version" (but cooked) basic hot sauce, refridgerate for a few weeks in a large container (about a gallon) then take it out, re-cook it, refine the taste, and pack in smaller bottles.

You may also want to consider another minor item too. Once you have it in your woozie or jar, turn it upside down at least once which helps seal the container ...if it is still warm/hot when closed up it helps prevent leakage once it cools.

If you are very clean, use the right amount of vineger, salt, and have your Ph consistant... it should be alright for personal use.

I've got one batch (not for sale) which has been aged for 5 years in the fridge and hasn't lost its heat nor taste... my oldest granddaughter only asked for one thing for her High School graduation: a huge bottle of it (about the size of a fifth).

Thanks everyone for your input, I'll be re-doing everything tomorrow morning. Better to be safe than sorry!!!

Yeah the last thing you need is botulism but its highly unlikely. Having made many sauces at the farmers marketand I make sure everything is sterilized properly.

Back