• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

WTF??!??!

Pretty sure my bhut plant is putting rotten pods out. Like thie one in my hand is barely starting to ripen but it has big transluscent patches that are squishy like is rotten. What can be the cause and what are the best fixes for this?? Should I just junk the plant??

I had the same problem, cut off the rotten pods, throw em away, spray some anti fungal stuff all over the plants and it should be alright. No reason to kill the whole plant.

Sounds like what my Dorset is doing and I've put it down to weather. We had a cold snap a little while back that destroyed all the pods on one plant, although I can't imagine you'd get much cold weather where you are.

99881272.jpg

391bdbd9.jpg

No cold weather. Might have over watered for a while but it's been drying out for about a week. I'm about to cut one open, hang on a sec..

bah1.jpg

If it looks like the above, nothing, it is fungal. You can pull off the pods and do nothing but chances are the problem will persist. :P

Had what looks like the same problem this season over here.

7ssuck.jpg

If I cut mine open there was often a white grub hiding up the very top of the pod close to the stem. It was hard to find.

I had to spray my plants to get rid of it.

I had a few like that but the majority of my affected pods are suffering from bastard fruit fly, grrrrrr. Taj can attest to that!
Have a real good look for any maggots inside the pods and check them all, the maggot leaves when it has had enough to eat.

There is a difference between fruit fly (white maggots) and fungal infections. The maggots will eat it from the inside out, it will become mushy etc. In my photos you can see the fungal infection, if you leave it long enough they become white (not really that mushy, more like a scar). Either way whatever it is the plant is fine, just pick off the damaged pods, and then decide what to do. No point leaving damage pods on, as it can only spread.

DarkTrak said:
How would it get in there if there are no holes??

The fruit fly pierces the pod with a tiny hypodermic lance and injects the little bastards in there. The fruit actually heals the hole that is made and the maggots have a nice hot house to live in.

You don't have snakes either, lucky bastards ...

Although I did hear something about a shortage of Velcro Gloves on the other side of the Tasman? :D

Dark Trak, are the plants outdoors and in pots? if so, it might be rot from too much moisture. I had it happen to my peppers a few summers back when it rained pretty much every day. Since my plants were in pots with dishes, the water just accumulated, causing the pods to start to rot.

Taj said:
You don't have snakes either, lucky bastards ...

Although I did hear something about a shortage of Velcro Gloves on the other side of the Tasman? :D

when we can't find the gloves we round them up next to a cliff. they don't want to fall off, so they push back harder! :P
Always with the sheep jokes aye! hahaha

Back