Yaargh!'s first steps. New here and to growing peppers

Yaargh! said:
Hey all, been reading some topics on the forum and decided to register and try my hand at growing some hot peppers.

I'll post some pictures tomorrow, most likely. I decided to try out growing in soil (pots) as well as utilizing the DWC method of hydroponics. So far, I have only a serrano, jalapeño and a cayenne in the DWC system. In soil, I have a habanero and a struggling/small Bhut Jolokia.

Plants I am still waiting to germinate are hot cherry, scotch bonnet and hot banana peppers.

From reading the forum posts I would certainly like to expand in variety. After checking out some sites, I am looking to pick up some trinidad scorpion seeds as well fatalii and paper lanterns.

Constructive criticism will be greatly appreciated once I post pictures, explain what I am doing and asking questions from all of you.

Take care.

No welcome is complete without my RIP.
How did I miss you?
Better late than never.

Welcome from Southfield Michigan.

May You Soul Rest In Peppers

HERE

4386562877_0488df8fc1.jpg

NJA

Naga Jolokia Addict said:
No welcome is complete without my RIP.
How did I miss you?
Better late than never.

Welcome from Southfield Michigan.

May You Soul Rest In Peppers

HERE

4386562877_0488df8fc1.jpg

NJA

Nah, you got me on my self introduction page. I appreciate it nonetheless.

Been some time since I've posted, here's an update.

here is my first TS pepper pod. This plant I bought from Valley View farms, I wonder if this is normal shape for a growing pod?
_MG_3081.JPG

Here is indoor plants. Growing well but not a whole lot of peppers on the more hotter varieties. The Hot Cherry and Hot Banana are producing a lot of fruit.
_MG_3084.JPG

Outside on my tiny balcony I have a Tomatillo, a second Hot banana, some herbs and a rubber made tote for radishes, spinach and lettuce. The radishes are taking over the place.
_MG_3083.JPG

Great stuff you got going. I experimented with MH and HPS setups, and learned that the MH mimics more of a spring/grow type of spectrum and the HPS is more of a fall/fruit type of spectrum. I actually switched over to the t5 system, and it works great. The HID lamps worked good as well, but ran real hot, and just didnt have enough room for all of the setups. As for the wilting throughout the day, you may want to lift your light some. Depending on wattage, it can cover a pretty large area without haveing to be so close to the plants. As for the purpleage of the stems, that is normal with HID and Fluorescent fixtures. Not a bad thing. Dont remember who it was on here, but they were right. Keep a close eye on the leaves purpling. I had some do it, and thought nothing of it, and they were late to bud/bloom and had trouble keeping blooms. I havent ventured into the hydro setups yet, but I have a buddy that works for NASA down here by me that can get you some space grade mylar for free. He runs their aeroponics and hydroponics setup trials and experiments for the space station. Pretty neat stuff. Anyways, Ive been on the froum just about as long as you, so welcome from Houston. I have a large variety of seeds to trade and share. Let me know if there is anything in particular you would like to get growing or have for next seasons startup. I have 8 of my purple bhut jolokia seeds left, and would love to see how that goes hydroponically. If youre interested in trying it out let me know and Ill get you a few seeds to play with. Love the pics by the way.

Sterling

very nice looking indoor garden! I have a little room about 10 feet by 15 feet in my basement I'm planning on turning into a grow room this winter. I've caught the chile growing bug and can't go without them all winter. :D Get ready for those tomatillos to take off...they grow like weeds.

very nice looking indoor garden! I have a little room about 10 feet by 15 feet in my basement I'm planning on turning into a grow room this winter. I've caught the chile growing bug and can't go without them all winter. :D Get ready for those tomatillos to take off...they grow like weeds.

They certainly are growing, with the heat wave outside they've gained nearly a foot in 10 days. I'll have to get a cage pretty soon.

I've recently learned that Tomatillos do not self-pollinate. I guess I'll start on a second one. It's not a major set back but I certainly won't make the same mistake twice.

Oh, and my Scotch Bonnet decided to produce a single pod. So yeah, that's nice.

A few of my hot banana peppers are now yellow but I've seen and read that they ripen red. It's been about 4 weeks since the peppers have been growing. Temps inside are between 75 and 85 degrees with an HPS light, wondering if anyone that has grown these in similar conditions can provide a guess as to the length of time to fully ripen? And no, not in a rush, just curious.

Great stuff you got going. I experimented with MH and HPS setups, and learned that the MH mimics more of a spring/grow type of spectrum and the HPS is more of a fall/fruit type of spectrum. I actually switched over to the t5 system, and it works great. The HID lamps worked good as well, but ran real hot, and just didnt have enough room for all of the setups. As for the wilting throughout the day, you may want to lift your light some. Depending on wattage, it can cover a pretty large area without haveing to be so close to the plants. As for the purpleage of the stems, that is normal with HID and Fluorescent fixtures. Not a bad thing. Dont remember who it was on here, but they were right. Keep a close eye on the leaves purpling. I had some do it, and thought nothing of it, and they were late to bud/bloom and had trouble keeping blooms. I havent ventured into the hydro setups yet, but I have a buddy that works for NASA down here by me that can get you some space grade mylar for free. He runs their aeroponics and hydroponics setup trials and experiments for the space station. Pretty neat stuff. Anyways, Ive been on the froum just about as long as you, so welcome from Houston. I have a large variety of seeds to trade and share. Let me know if there is anything in particular you would like to get growing or have for next seasons startup. I have 8 of my purple bhut jolokia seeds left, and would love to see how that goes hydroponically. If youre interested in trying it out let me know and Ill get you a few seeds to play with. Love the pics by the way.

Sterling

Appreciate the info and offer but I am at my growing limit as of now. I still have a variety of seeds which I had ordered that I have still yet to germinate.

A few of my hot banana peppers are now yellow but I've seen and read that they ripen red. It's been about 4 weeks since the peppers have been growing. Temps inside are between 75 and 85 degrees with an HPS light, wondering if anyone that has grown these in similar conditions can provide a guess as to the length of time to fully ripen? And no, not in a rush, just curious.

I want to say the ones i have outside have been taking about 45 days.

An update:

Balcony
_MG_3122.JPG

Pods:
This is either the bhut or golden hab. Got them mixed up as seedlings.
_MG_3107.JPG

This is the Scotch Bonnet, supposedly.
_MG_3111.JPG

This is the single Trinidad Scorpion pod growing. Bought at Valley View Farms in MD.
_MG_3109.JPG

The only things not to produce yet have been the Chocolate Trinidad Congo, 2nd Trinidad Scorpion and the other mixed up Hab/Bhut. The Tabasco is putting on pods and the hot cherry while none are ripe many are being set. The only plants inside are my Hot Bananas, the large pods and the wind is making it difficult to keep them upright and I haven't had the chance to go looking for a tomato cage.

I had decided to germinate a few other pepper plants, so far only a second jalapeño and African Birdseye have sprouted.

This is kinda embarrassing but here is my 1st ripe pepper. It's a hot cherry and its growth seems to have been stunted being in the middle of a cluster.

Still.. My first ripe pepper. And geez, that was the hottest hot cherry I've had. My lips are still tingling a bit. I have a T.S. and a scotch bonnet and quite a few hot bananas waiting to ripen. Seeing as how hot the hot cherry was, I wonder if the hot bananas will be hotter than I can recall as well? The T.S. and the scotch bonnet, I dunno, as I have yet to have eaten either.

_MG_3131.JPG

This is kinda embarrassing but here is my 1st ripe pepper. It's a hot cherry and its growth seems to have been stunted being in the middle of a cluster.

Still.. My first ripe pepper. And geez, that was the hottest hot cherry I've had. My lips are still tingling a bit. I have a T.S. and a scotch bonnet and quite a few hot bananas waiting to ripen. Seeing as how hot the hot cherry was, I wonder if the hot bananas will be hotter than I can recall as well? The T.S. and the scotch bonnet, I dunno, as I have yet to have eaten either.

_MG_3131.JPG

those are amazing flavor-wise. love them oh so much.
today i put two, cut into 4 pieces and sorta realized that I should be stuffing chilli into them and baking them.

After I picked/ate the pepper, I went out to water and spotted a second ripening hot cherry. I noticed the small hot cherry I had earlier two days ago starting to turn red. So hopefully Friday morning I'll have a larger one to snack on.

Congratz on your first ripe pod. Can't wait to hear how your snacking went when the TS ripens a pod for you. ;)

Thanks, it'll be the first of many. I'm still amazed how hot the hot cherry was, felt like I rubbed CS particles on my lips. Can't wait for the Trinidad S. I have a webcam, maybe I'll record it? It seems to be a growing fad, eh?

Finally getting some peppers set on my plants.

This is that T. Scorpion plant I bought at Valley View in MD. It doesn't really look like the average pod for a T. Scorpion, does it? It is the first and came on quite early compared to the pods being set now, so maybe it's stunted?
_MG_3139.JPG

Nope, looks chinense, but lacks the heat pimples of a scorp. Seems like too many nurseries are pimpin' wussies. ;)

I have a second T.S. but has yet to put on a pepper pod, so maybe there is still hope? The Trinidad Congo Black I bought there has pods that look pretty much like I would expect a Chocolate Hab to look like. No matter, I bought some seeds off of Neil so I can go ahead germinate a few if that happens to be the case.

I wonder what Chinese it is, as it seems to have been miss labeled? Maybe an Orange Hab?

Back