• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

YAMracer754 work in progress GLOG

Ok.... so I have been meaning to start this for quite some time but finally got things to a point where I feel I can have my grasp on most things pepper and have brought my peppers up, buying things as I go as funds dictate and the chiliboys+girls keep growing up. Not ideal approach, I know, but gotta start somewhere! If I were $$loaded it would be a little easier but $ doesn't replace research and knowledge!

I'm growing indoors until I can take them outside and will grow some in large containers, a few airpots, and the rest in raised beds. Probably flower a few inside to use my new Folux light (courtesy of PexPeppers!) Am thinking of switching to a more coco based medium as the peat seems to not allow so much airflow as I would like but open to suggestions. I'm currently in promix bx blended with fox farms Ocean forest, and upon up potting have added lots of perlite as in the beginning I was getting too much compaction and I was also having the overwatering problem(which I have now corrected).

I started some on 2/7 and some on 2/27 (from Seed) and here's where I am now and here's where I was before. I have upgraded light to 130w folux from a crappy Amazon ufo led {30w actual draw-was good for seedlings and about it}.

I really Need to know which Soil-Hydro frets to buy-bang for buck I'm looking for 1 or 2 at most products to 'K.I.S.S.' approach. So between some of these do you have any knowledge/experience: Masterblend, GH Maxigrow+maxibloom, CNS17, or any of the dynagro products? Or maybe something I haven't heard of? Currently have GrowBig fox farms for supplemental but not a very well balanced profile for growing peppers from what I gather (6-4-4), looking to cover P-K, calcium, and nominal amount of N. I have Epsom salt already if I detect Mg deficiency.

The first pics are from March 2, then March 9-12 transplanting, (notice the algae and growth problems) and here is where I'm at now. Almost thinking it's time to uppot again-they're in 3.5" and 4" nursery containers respectively, and have more seedlings growing in cell trays from Seed from Edmick.

What I'm growing: Hab red Caribbean, Hab chocolate, 1 tepin made it from Seed, bhut jolokia, 3 yellow Devils, a couple Habanero lemons still in tray, some different tomatoes, reapers, jalapeño temprana(early girl jpens), birds eye, different bell/sweet peppers. Few others failed to germinate so I won't list them, and I'm germing aleppos, bad brains, aji citizens, and aji mango. Looking forward to suggestions/questions/comments from all you fellow chileheads!
1520038511489.jpg
IMG_20180310_222231361.jpg
1520892249165.jpg
1520892296865.jpg
1521558102481.jpg
70d4f4faf4317cd3a1b9524ff8309939.jpg
cf078668b096728f00fc79999d3009fa.jpg

Regards,
-Tristan

Chilidude said:
How are the chilis doing, are they still alive?
I'm in East TN tell me about it, its only like mid 50s and been rain rain rain! Yes they are doing great just extremely crowded and smashed together which Is hurting the light they receive but without grabbin another light and separating I'm kind of stuck until the weather cooperates to get em hardened to the great outdoors fully. Been working on that the last week and sunburned some leave edges here and there but they're getting it ;)!
These tomatoes I started on 15th of March have been driving me crazy too with the space they wanna grow and hog.. Not good pair with Chili's unless you have lots of space! Check out my two Tigerella tomatoes I started when I started my peppers! Over 2' tall growing in 2 gallon of coir with Hydro nutes..
e8c1fd8034e1cfe22824b31b49df9960.jpg
5387817c9284dd573772191ff670defe.jpg
1a65e9c3838d5951b2b48767ba3cff28.jpg
cdfedb3c15cae6ab6336d44eb2f46c5d.jpg

Regards,
-Tristan

When can you put your plants outside?

For future reference, regarding maters. Give yourself 7 weeks between starting and the expected dirt day. They just grow like crazy. 

I really wish peppers would learn from the tomatoes...

Life would be so much easier ;)

Devv said:
When can you put your plants outside?

For future reference, regarding maters. Give yourself 7 weeks between starting and the expected dirt day. They just grow like crazy. 

I really wish peppers would learn from the tomatoes...

Life would be so much easier ;)
I know this now! Wish I would've understood the gravity of the importance! Yes, the peppers need to take some notes from the maters! At least all my new Tom's are right in line. I'm told mid may or so, but really I would have had them out there most days already in bags if the weather was cooperating but it's just been unseasonably $hitty here because of "nonhuman events"

Regards,
-Tristan

I upgraded my space last night! Got a 4x8' sheet of reflective poly insulation board and some 1x2"s and extended a wall to give me 140cuft vs the 65cuft I had before :) So now I have a 5'x4'x7' space in this trailer! I swear, as soon as it seems you have gobs of new space they magically take it all up and you're looking for more once again! Got another 130w quantum board coming in mail at 4000k to give me 280 actual watts total in LED lighting! Things are looking good!
4ced5bb3d223514e74bbe820f0c68e52.jpg
abb53ad403bde71447edc9faf6f94971.jpg

Regards,
-Tristan

Masher said:
Nice, clean and looking great.

So many of us just on the verge of plant out.

Really nice looking plants :cheers:
Thank you so much!credibility from people like you on the forum really affirm my passion and happiness about the hobby as I'm sure you're well aware I'm always reading and learning on how to optimize this! I'm ready for plant out too just the plant out isn't ready for me that's the other half of my battle!!

Regards,
-Tristan

Very nice! Great job maximizing your grow area. Shelves are a great idea for an enclosed space. I feel like I'm losing a a lot of light without my area being enclosed. Plants are looking awesomely! They ARE ready for the outdoors. Especially the maters. Fantastic!

Bhuter said:
Very nice! Great job maximizing your grow area. Shelves are a great idea for an enclosed space. I feel like I'm losing a a lot of light without my area being enclosed. Plants are looking awesomely! They ARE ready for the outdoors. Especially the maters. Fantastic![emoji1303]
Thanks man! Check it out this is all but 4 plants (Nvm, forgot I have 12 seedlings of various cool toms and aji charapita from baker seed Co late order) but dragged outside where they're not stacked on top of each other-it really illustrates how much the levels help with space! Ordered another board for the grow room so I'll be pushing over 350 watts, now I need to stop upgrading grow ROOM and get something setup outside in the bedrock castle and try to get a garden going! First day I'm a while of no rain and cold temp this past week here in TN..
becf01cd8c72c422e6dcb0d81930e0d0.jpg
b072a67eef3bea099a06a5e53430c1cc.jpg
b95b8652ead4db5ef6e5926122a9e95b.jpg

Gonna do this to one or two tomato plants, probably the tigerella and atomic grape tomatoes, use my porch as 2 way trellis
Regards,
-Tristan
942a1b8bfc039d5f553e1eed575b4b6e.gif

Very nice! Look at all of those salsa makers!!! Lol. They're lovin' the sun today. I won't start hardening off for a couple weeks. Well, maybe sooner. It all depends, of course. I usually plan on dirt day to be around Mother's Day, but it might be later this year. You DO have a lot of stuff going on and they all look terrific!!! Great job! I see a photo bomber! Lol. Kitty's lovin' it, too.

Bhuter said:
Very nice! Look at all of those salsa makers!!! Lol. They're lovin' the sun today. I won't start hardening off for a couple weeks. Well, maybe sooner. It all depends, of course. I usually plan on dirt day to be around Mother's Day, but it might be later this year. You DO have a lot of stuff going on and they all look terrific!!! Great job! I see a photo bomber! Lol. Kitty's lovin' it, too.
Dude you have no idea how much the mousers be loving it. Yeah they photobomb the picture for sure, yeah thanks man for all the accolades I'm just trying to get me some salsa makers!!! But yeah the kitties they love to get in the photos and they love to get with the peppers they really enjoy it must interact with their wild nature hahaha!

Regards,
-Tristan

Only reason I'm hardening them off is to basically get them hard no weird s***! I'm trying to toughen him up to the outside world even before they get into their final containers, you know what I mean? They going to be some hard-ass peppers and Mater's. Spent/busted my whole afternoon and evening sifting thru pine bark mulch with a combination of chicken wire and .25" screen as a secondary sift. Got me some WONDERFUL base for a medium. Ph of pine scared me at 4.4 but buffered with the coir, peat, perlite, etc. Should be sitting pretty at somewhere close to 6ph. Will find out tomorrow after a soaking slurry test. I'm really excited to see this go forward..

Regards,
-Tristan
be42bd4fae19f6bc2730469f474eef2a.jpg
0bfcab3ba8c7101fc27ee429df9f4988.jpg
127e90e4cc75afdd55049baf0a371493.jpg

I see that rock right there at the surface; I have some of that going on here, as we're on a ridge. One good thing is it's all up hill from where I grow. So is downhill the same? The soil should be deeper there.

The plants look great and should do some serious good things for you really soon!

Good luck!

Devv said:
I see that rock right there at the surface; I have some of that going on here, as we're on a ridge. One good thing is it's all up hill from where I grow. So is downhill the same? The soil should be deeper there.

The plants look great and should do some serious good things for you really soon!

Good luck!
Steve ill get back to your comment just got one more picture of my new mix to show off and feel a little "proud". Plus hands are very dirty! Check it out:measures 6.4 ph after a 48hr slurry test-the pine bark sifted fines alone test at about 4.4 so I should have some good buffering capacity although I did go out and purchase some pelletized/crushed dolomite lime to add Ca+Mg and also a little buffering capacity if things get too acidic leaning. Here's some uppots :) got my own 2:2:1:2 formula going on we'll see how the experiment goes. Castings as my compost.. Too much perlite? Looks sexy to me... And yes I love my vermin control to the fullest-although they sure did used to play Godzilla before lots of screaming/yelling/"training" haha! Thanks guys!
afaee887814e96991f61b0c88bc2486b.jpg
9ba5c0a2a68880f77947ae2900207401.jpg
1a466f6b9a0dc660339d6827db21cbef.jpg
579327f5199db85316cf784485b8ee9a.jpg
f791bc1aa23baaaec196d59e27ba3e0c.jpg
032b6bc627a24fdf2a0e03f2c2e2a43d.jpg

Regards,
-Tristan

More stuff.. Another quantum board @ 4000k, new driver to run the two boards, knee brace to hold the shelf corner, shelves shelves shelves!! And levels! Should work good. Literally been working on the plant game all day be it outside work and inside! Loving it! Learning everyday from all you guys! Pics are at minimum current (ie dimmed 30%/100%)
2fa2ea34401aef6921bed1ae562ef365.jpg
c41a86706b945829cffa08655cd38fad.jpg

Do you think I'll have enough plants!?!?? Lol!
Regards,
-Tristan
0928c4b4d7b9a8a899be6f797a767a65.jpg

Training via lst/hst (low stress/high stress), depends how ya look at it.. All I know is they're stiff and sturdy. Also removed all lower branches and made way for scaffolding branches via ideas tossed, about by hybridmode I believe his ID is, maybe hybrid-something or another.. The certified arborist.
d8e50ca026a02cf9ca88dda2478296a3.jpg
80d754afe86ba2584f355eaf4ec92ed3.jpg
13ab838f3b18bdd4aa03f8a630fc01fb.jpg

PtMD989 said:
They are looking great. Good to see vermin patrol is on duty. Hopefully the wind don’t pickup and mess up the smaller containers. That would suck big time. What kind of maters are you looking to get?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oh do not worry,... The Vermin Patrol are always on duty! You don't even want to see what they caught today unfortunately they weren't even messing with my plants the Vermin that they caught was rather a juvenile rabbit and a baby mole!! Breaks my heart but once they get him in the mouth it's hard to really do much with them and then all they do is think you're pissed off at them...
Buses
The tomatoes growing are Brad's Atomic grape from Baker seed Creek, tomato Black Beauty from same, Bush steak hybrid, steak sandwich hybrid, pear tomato, and tigerella tomato which are the two big plants in my pictures as I had started those back in mid February - way too early! I also started purple tomatillo, Jing Orange okra and 16 in Long pod okra, as well as Alpine white strawberries, North Georgia candy roaster squash. They're huge! But yeah they are only there due to winds, I check on these guys every 15 minutes unfortunately it's like I have OCD with plants because I love them so much and I'm so proud of them hahaha! So I always move them two different porches or inside if it gets really crazy which it hasn't yet.

Constructive criticism appreciated and evaluated!

YAMracer754 said:
Oh do not worry,... The Vermin Patrol are always on duty! You don't even want to see what they caught today unfortunately they weren't even messing with my plants the Vermin that they caught was rather a juvenile rabbit and a baby mole!! Breaks my heart but once they get him in the mouth it's hard to really do much with them and then all they do is think you're pissed off at them...
Buses
The tomatoes growing are Brad's Atomic grape from Baker seed Creek, tomato Black Beauty from same, Bush steak hybrid, steak sandwich hybrid, pear tomato, and tigerella tomato which are the two big plants in my pictures as I had started those back in mid February - way too early! I also started purple tomatillo, Jing Orange okra and 16 in Long pod okra, as well as Alpine white strawberries, North Georgia candy roaster squash. They're huge! But yeah they are only there due to winds, I check on these guys every 15 minutes unfortunately it's like I have OCD with plants because I love them so much and I'm so proud of them hahaha! So I always move them two different porches or inside if it gets really crazy which it hasn't yet.

Constructive criticism appreciated and evaluated!
Again,my friend, we do the same thing. I also have two porches. The back porch gets morning sun from sun up until 12-1pm. So I'll leave them out there according to my hourly hardening process then move them to the shade on the front porch. Then the sun moves there, then they go back to the shade in the back. Lol. Crazy the similarities.

Back