• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Year......and a Day

IMG_4638_zpsa7f91a65.jpg

This is my Scotch Bonnet sauce or also referred to at the "Iowa Hawkeye" tailgates...as the..."Black and Gold".
Its your basic/bare/bonnet sauce consisting of Jamaican Bonnets, cane vinegar, cane sugar, spices...blah, blah, blah...
It has a great taste with no sidetracking ingredients covering up that true Scotch Bonnet taste.
But there's always a way to modify a basic sauce............such as these...

IMG_4641_zpsb7496c6d.jpg

Here are two half gallon Scotch Bonnet ferments, the one on the left is a year old and the one on the right, just a day.
Both ferments consist of vine ripened Yellow Scotch Bonnets which were picked then wiped off with a terry cloth. No washing of the pods.
I didn't use a starter to activate but was hoping to introduce a wild culture to both. Both jars have over four 2 gal bags of peppers which were hand chopped no blender/processor used. My mixer would have easily juiced the liquid from the pods. That's what I was trying to avoid. Even with a 10" chefs knife and a fast hand the mincing still took 2 hrs+

IMG_4644_zpsbb03f15f.jpg

The minced peppers were combined with 2% sea salt and a couple tsp of evaporated cane sugar to form a dry pack. The weight of the year old ferment minus the weight of the jar is 5 lbs. I remember starting last years ferment up and placing it in a grow room which hovers at 86 deg. I had to place the jar on the floor in the closet because it became very active too fast. By the way the grow room is ideal for those who rise their own dough for homemade bread or pizza..........talk about air holes in a high hydrated dough.............WOW!
Anyways, what I'd like to do with the yr old stuff is to combine it with some fresh picked Bonnets and Bahamian Goats and other ingredients
to make a special sauce for the holidays. I can't tell you how the yr old ferment tastes since the lid has never been taken off since day one..
But what I can say is theres no mold and the mash has softened in textiure. I can see the gaps and creveases filled with extracted liquid so I believe all is well. A ph check will be happening within the next month.........and then its time to break out the Champagne.........vinegar!

Greg

great looking sauce PIC. how did you attach your airlocks to your lids? is that an o-ring or did you use a small bung?
The lids have an "O" ring. I bought them online, can't remember where off hand. The air locks were picked up at a local "Brew and Grow"....they may have the wide mouth canning lids also. I do use vodka in the air chamber to stop any nasties from entering.

Very nice sauce there Greg and I'm willing to bet that the fermented version is going to kick the originals B*tt. Love the color, I guess I'm going to have to get my produce manager at Publix get me a box of bonnetts. I need to make a batch of Jamaica Me Hot and The Captains Sauce.

I never even thought about using hip flasks for sauce, that's an awesome idea and I think my new labels would fit it too. Are those the Pint or 1/2 Pint ones?

Very nice sauce there Greg and I'm willing to bet that the fermented version is going to kick the originals B*tt. Love the color, I guess I'm going to have to get my produce manager at Publix get me a box of bonnetts. I need to make a batch of Jamaica Me Hot and The Captains Sauce.

I never even thought about using hip flasks for sauce, that's an awesome idea and I think my new labels would fit it too. Are those the Pint or 1/2 Pint ones?

Bill, the flasks are 6oz, I believe the next size is up is 12 oz...........that might be good for the ole timer with the brown bag......ha.........but thats a sauce of a different nature...

Looks mighty tasty, Greg. Thanks for sharing your wisdom again :) Wouldn't mind tasting that liquid gold, the color alone is very bright and clear.

Stefan, If I thought a package could make it safely your way ...I'd send..........inbound from NL has been an issue...

Remember us............We're Back............. :D
Ok, this might be the weekend to do something with these Scotch Bonnet ferments. The bottle on the left is 22 months old the one on the right is 10 months.
They kept well in the cooler sub-basement, and do they smell great !

The ph is right on, I was curious since the lids were never opened....that was the plan. If, I can squeeze time in between projects this weekend I may wipe this into a  special " Special Bonnet "  sauce.....and maybe incorporate some into a classic...fusion dish............yum

RocketMan said:
Looks Great Greg! That's going to make some really good sauce.
Thanks Bill,...The scent is unique , haven't taste tested it yet, ...soon., I was hoping on doing something with them this past weekend but rather a spoon in the hand, I had a paint brush both days.......... :rolleyes:
Not to rush it and whip something up quick like......(it has been a bit of a wait)............I'd like to  bottle a batch....when there's extra time around the house.......tic toc tic toc.......
Maybe later this week.

Finally got around to finishing the sauce...

I decided to amp up the flavor and extend the amount of sauce by adding some the sweet/tartness of the Manila Mangos, Lemons and Limes, Scallions, Garlic, Onion, Thyme, Curry and Mustard powders, A small amount of Cane Sugar and Cane Vinegar.

The ingredients are in the pot, sauce is brought to a boil then reduced to a low simmer for 1 hr. I pureed the sauce with an imersion blender. The final pf was just under 3.6.

The sauce turned out very tasty. There's something about adding curry, mustard and vinegar to a Bonnet Sauce.

The bottled sauce ..."Black and Gold" which is boxed up and heading to the Iowa tomorrow for the pre-game tailgating.......Go Hawkeyes!

Back