• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Yelanfam Farms 2019 GLOG

This year I decided I wanted to bulk up my garden and turn it into a hopefully marketable garden. I've bought a rack and lights, seed trays, seed cells, dirt, seeds, weed barrier, shade cloth, and probably more stuff I'm forgetting.

I've probably been given or traded for around half of my pepper seeds. One great person on reddit sent me a huge pack or seeds and I am forever thankful for. A few others on reddit sent me a couple as well. I offered them hot sauce that I made and is finally ready to ship this week. I got here on THP a little late this year, but all ready I have made a few trades with some great people.

I have bought from White Hot Peppers, Lawrence Family Farms, Burpee, Baker Creek, Sow True Seeds, MIGardener I'm sure I'm forgetting some other places.

My plan is to do rows of 25 feet, and have 4, 25 x 25 foot blocks. Most of that peppers, the rest tomatoes cucumbers and beans. I'll also have a bigger section for corn and melons including the Bradford Family Watermelon that I'm super excited about.

I started propagating on January 21, 2019.
My first seedlings appeared on  January 26, 2019.
I up potted the first batch on February 6, 2019.

But on to the peppers, this is my current list of what I have.
aXGvlCu.jpg

Here is a pic of how I start them. I do multiple seeds in an 18 cell tray. It makes it easier to manage at first until I can get out into the greenhouse that I still have to build.
Z5kIZ3Q.jpg

You can see how I use wooden popsicle sticks to hold my labels. I've since changed to includ how many seeds are in the cell as well as tray number on the label.
LpHQWXi.jpg

The Cherry Bombs were the first to pop up.
x2u4k9s.jpg

Brazilian Starfish coming on strong.
aevCeIM.jpg

LpgFeiX.jpg

SPbc36e.jpg

The Yellow Moruga Scorpion has a Tri Cotyledon, I actlly had about 4 of this from this pack of seeds.
InmDKkp.jpg

bHMmlBi.jpg

So far I have about a third of them up potted to 36 cell trays.
7SX9ZD2.jpg

Still got a long way to go. I'll be propagating my tomatoes tomorrow. Hoping for a great summer garden this year!

***Bonus here is some pics of the early seed test I did. These were propagated on December 27, 2018.

dBvC4da.jpg

bASXt1Y.jpg

Hawkins said:
Thanks, I'm very happy with my results so far. I was expecting more to die, or not do as well, but they are doing pretty good. Hopefully I won't have to transplant into 18 cell flats before I go into the ground, but we'll see. They are growing very quickly though.
Plant-out can't be too far away for you
in SC, maybe you won't have to transplant
into the bigger cells.

First big step today, completed my application for the local farmers market this year. This will be the first time selling to the public so hope it goes well. They probably won't like the super hots, but hoping to push some Shishitos, Jimmy Nardellos, heirloom tomatoes, melons, also cherry and grape tomatoes.

This is just a test plant, I'm not even sure what it is. I did a random seed test on 12/27/18 and this is one that came up. The only one I'm fairly confident in is an Aji Amarillo, which this is not.

PtMD989 said:
Buds already [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If anything goes wrong, let me know, I can ship you live plants mid-April. Got your back in case of any tragedy man. I have more growing than I can plant out, by a large margin, would be no problem to help you out if anything goes sideways.

First year is so full of stress, and unknowns, that'll be one less risk you gotta worry about.

Really appreciate it man, the only thing I'm worried about is holding them in the 36 cell flats, I'll probably up them to an 18 cell, but it would only be for about 2-3 weeks. But I will definitely keep that in mind in case of disaster. Thanks again for all the help.

TrentL said:
If anything goes wrong, let me know, I can ship you live plants mid-April. Got your back in case of any tragedy man. I have more growing than I can plant out, by a large margin, would be no problem to help you out if anything goes sideways.

First year is so full of stress, and unknowns, that'll be one less risk you gotta worry about.

As long as they stay alive, 36 cell shouldn't be too big of a problem, your plant out date is a lot earlier than ours.  Keep a close eye on them when they go outside and you start to harden off, they'll dry out much faster outside than they did inside. If you aren't watching for it, it's easy to get distracted on outdoor stuff or life in general, and find them all wilted much earlier than you expected them to.

Small update today, hoping to get the makeshift greenhouse finished this weekend, and get some transplanted into 18 cell trays.

Purple Bhut Joloklia looking good.
X17pXRu.jpg

Buds are all over the place.
N3HnIIv.jpg

AOeNytx.jpg
The rarest thing I have, the Khang Starr Lemon Starburst, according to the registry I'm the only person in North or South Carolina Growing them.

Back