• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Yelanfam Farms 2019 GLOG

This year I decided I wanted to bulk up my garden and turn it into a hopefully marketable garden. I've bought a rack and lights, seed trays, seed cells, dirt, seeds, weed barrier, shade cloth, and probably more stuff I'm forgetting.

I've probably been given or traded for around half of my pepper seeds. One great person on reddit sent me a huge pack or seeds and I am forever thankful for. A few others on reddit sent me a couple as well. I offered them hot sauce that I made and is finally ready to ship this week. I got here on THP a little late this year, but all ready I have made a few trades with some great people.

I have bought from White Hot Peppers, Lawrence Family Farms, Burpee, Baker Creek, Sow True Seeds, MIGardener I'm sure I'm forgetting some other places.

My plan is to do rows of 25 feet, and have 4, 25 x 25 foot blocks. Most of that peppers, the rest tomatoes cucumbers and beans. I'll also have a bigger section for corn and melons including the Bradford Family Watermelon that I'm super excited about.

I started propagating on January 21, 2019.
My first seedlings appeared on  January 26, 2019.
I up potted the first batch on February 6, 2019.

But on to the peppers, this is my current list of what I have.
aXGvlCu.jpg

Here is a pic of how I start them. I do multiple seeds in an 18 cell tray. It makes it easier to manage at first until I can get out into the greenhouse that I still have to build.
Z5kIZ3Q.jpg

You can see how I use wooden popsicle sticks to hold my labels. I've since changed to includ how many seeds are in the cell as well as tray number on the label.
LpHQWXi.jpg

The Cherry Bombs were the first to pop up.
x2u4k9s.jpg

Brazilian Starfish coming on strong.
aevCeIM.jpg

LpgFeiX.jpg

SPbc36e.jpg

The Yellow Moruga Scorpion has a Tri Cotyledon, I actlly had about 4 of this from this pack of seeds.
InmDKkp.jpg

bHMmlBi.jpg

So far I have about a third of them up potted to 36 cell trays.
7SX9ZD2.jpg

Still got a long way to go. I'll be propagating my tomatoes tomorrow. Hoping for a great summer garden this year!

***Bonus here is some pics of the early seed test I did. These were propagated on December 27, 2018.

dBvC4da.jpg

bASXt1Y.jpg

saiias said:
Rain is killing me.. Pouring non stop.. Even my plamts look sad. No sun till friday.. Sad

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

Me too, I have a few more to plant, and the rain is slowing me down, plus pulling my tomato trellis down. I just realized the other day I forgot to plant my Chocolate Bhutlahs, so I need to get that and some extra tomatoes in the ground. I'll do that hopefully by the end of next week.

Hawkins said:

The Black Cherry tomatoes that I put in a pot are doing very well.
czCfOlM.jpg

Everything's looking great!

Several years ago I grew a black cherry that had amazing flavor.  I haven't been able to find a black cherry with a similar flavor since.  Glutton for punishment that I am, I'm growing it again this year, hoping I get a good one.

I LOVE blackberries!  Next to peaches, my favorite!

nmlarson said:

Everything's looking great!

Several years ago I grew a black cherry that had amazing flavor.  I haven't been able to find a black cherry with a similar flavor since.  Glutton for punishment that I am, I'm growing it again this year, hoping I get a good one.

I LOVE blackberries!  Next to peaches, my favorite!

I've never had black cherry before, but I've heard nothing but great things about them. I love peaches but those blackberries were extremely sour and not good, hoping they get better late in the year.

Some nice looking Aji Sugar Rush Peaches
bpTqMPo.jpg

Turned the Khang Starr Lemon Starrburst to the side to let yall see the insides. Notice not all pods are the perfect shape, but there are a few that are very nice.
acKJnqT.jpg

Watermelon update time.

This a big nice Bradford Family watermelon.
60qcT57.jpg

This Charleston Grey is already over twelve inches long.
Axmar3M.jpg

The Beni Kodama's are starting to get ready, I should be able to taste this one within the next two weeks.
iqQB5F2.jpg

They are everywhere.
7rCnpMd.jpg

The Yamato Creams are getting big now too.
MELfZxM.jpg

There are quite a few of these as well.
uUNbo6P.jpg

The Art Combes Ancient has a beautiful dark green color. Sadly I haven't got any with the handle yet.
Djfko0h.jpg

Bonus Pepper update, the Mini Rocoto is growing great.
QuBePyx.jpg

Hawkins said:

I've never had black cherry before, but I've heard nothing but great things about them. I love peaches but those blackberries were extremely sour and not good, hoping they get better late in the year.
There are too many critters and not enough space here, or I'd be growing a blackberry bramble! Can't say if it is true, but I've been told that fruit that is sweetest is dull. Shiny = sour. Your melons are looking fantastic! That is something I've never been able to grow.

nmlarson said:
There are too many critters and not enough space here, or I'd be growing a blackberry bramble! Can't say if it is true, but I've been told that fruit that is sweetest is dull. Shiny = sour. Your melons are looking fantastic! That is something I've never been able to grow.

Truth be told I've never grown a successful watermelon either. In the past it has been just a plant or 2 and horribly watered. This year a few thousand dollars were spent to make my dream garden a reality. and so far it's been worth it. Hoping to sell enough produce to make it pay for it's self, and so far it's looking pretty good. The weed barrier and irrigation system are keys to my success with all of this. I have only grown cucumbers, tomatoes, peppers and a few other things in a small garden that I hand watered, this year was a big step getting back to the garden sizes that my grand parents used to do here, so it's important for me to do it right.

nmlarson said:

That's true. Wait until they get dull to pick them. Plus around here in blackberry heaven there are two kinds. One sweet and good. The other not so much.

Hawkins said:

Truth be told I've never grown a successful watermelon either. In the past it has been just a plant or 2 and horribly watered. This year a few thousand dollars were spent to make my dream garden a reality. and so far it's been worth it. Hoping to sell enough produce to make it pay for it's self, and so far it's looking pretty good. The weed barrier and irrigation system are keys to my success with all of this. I have only grown cucumbers, tomatoes, peppers and a few other things in a small garden that I hand watered, this year was a big step getting back to the garden sizes that my grand parents used to do here, so it's important for me to do it right.

Hawkins, your garden is awesome and the pictures are great. I hope the production helps offset the cost and you can keep it rolling forward.  I could never grow watermelon locally, so it's really cool to follow yours.  Digging the rocoto updates as well.  

CaneDog said:

Hawkins, your garden is awesome and the pictures are great. I hope the production helps offset the cost and you can keep it rolling forward.  I could never grow watermelon locally, so it's really cool to follow yours.  Digging the rocoto updates as well.  

Yeah it's growing pretty well and I'm happy with it, I can't wait to start getting production. The rain last month put me behind on plant out, but it's catching up, luckily I've got a fairly long growing season so I should be fine. I'm hoping farmers market will be worth it. And going to offer to shipping as well. I think tomatoes will be my biggest seller at the markets, but I do have a lead on someone wanting peppers for sauce this year, so that would be big. I make my own ferments to give to friends and family as well. I made an amazing cayenne sauce last year.

Hawkins said:

Hey haha, also if you are down this way that Shishito is ready. I'll post a pic of it for your tomorrow.
Awesomeee. I need to come to costco tomorrow. May as well come and pickup the plant. Will ping you tomorrow morning.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

Hawkins said:

Yeah it's growing pretty well and I'm happy with it, I can't wait to start getting production. The rain last month put me behind on plant out, but it's catching up, luckily I've got a fairly long growing season so I should be fine. I'm hoping farmers market will be worth it. And going to offer to shipping as well. I think tomatoes will be my biggest seller at the markets, but I do have a lead on someone wanting peppers for sauce this year, so that would be big. I make my own ferments to give to friends and family as well. I made an amazing cayenne sauce last year.

Fabulous.  Everything looks great.  From my experience, I think you'll find that your best seller at the FM will be cherry tomatoes.  Mixed color boxes sell out quick.  

:shocked:

Wow Hawk! Your garden has exploded! It's really hard to believe that this is your first rodeo! You're absolutely killing it man! Those watermelons are insane, they look so damn good! Lovin the pod shots! I'm very interested to see what those black stem reapers throw out... I can tell ya right now that is a definite cross of some sort, and knowing you got em from WHP who knows what's gonna show up! Should be cool. Starburst look fantastic, hell, everything looks fantastic! When everything's in full swing that drone shots gonna need to be mandatory you know that right? LOL. Nice work on all accounts!!

Back