• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Yelanfam Farms 2020 GLOG

I mean, where TF should really even start...

This time last year I all ready had seedlings and the start of a new jungle.

This year I haven't planted a single seed yet(I learned my lesson last year about planting too early).

But this weekend all the chinense will hit the dirt.

The plan is to up the online sells, and focus on the local sweet peppers. Shooting for around 800-1,000 plants.

I will put more focus on cherry tomatoes this year, and get everything in the ground a lot earlier than last year.

I've acquired some new varieties but I'm graving some of the old favorites. I've been missing my Shishtios and Jimmy Nardellos for months.

I also have to decided what my 2020 sauce will be. Last years was a mix of tabasco, pequin, chile de arbol, and cayenne. This is still fermenting and will be ready to give to everyone that helps me plant this year. I call it the friends and family reserve.

I will continue the Gator Jigsaw strain I got from last year, and expand my Khang Starr Lemon Starrburst crop. I only had 2 plants of those last year from 4 seeds, this year I'll plant around 6 plants. I will seek out other varieties and expand upon those.

Not my peppers, but just a plain ol store bought bell was used in this venison tenderloin stir fry.
kXLmjGF.jpg

Here's a little tip for people that don't like to write things down, take a picture of your seeds before you cover them to know the germination rates.
MHzeAhP.jpg

Nice top shot of the Butch T. Scorpions.
jmX2PZk.jpg

And last but not least a cool shot of some of my Khang Starr collection.
txEdpFd.jpg

Another update, I actually got excited about this one because I was super disappointed that I didn't have any pop up. I was down to my last 5 or 6 seeds that I planted and I thought they were all too deep and I had almost given up hope, but then as I was walking by tonight before I went to bed this little guy caught my eye.

But the Fatalii Gourmet Jigsaw is ALIVE!
eSf49PO.jpg

PaulG said:
Nice work Hawk. I always like the look of healthy 
little plants. So much potential!
Me too this stage is easy, it's once they're in the ground that I start to worry about them.

With all this virus panic, I may plant more other vegetables than I intended, just in case. I don't look for it to get bad. but I guess being stuck on the farm with food growing in my back yard isn't that bad. Luckily the people across the dirt road produce honey, the other neighbor has a pond, and another has cattle and a creek. (BRING ON THE ZOMBIES!!!)

I'll probably be investing in a solar system for a well pump at some point though.

Finally got around to up potting this year.

They where getting a little crowded.
lbDKrdx.jpg

This one looks super good and healthy.
aKQKwyx.jpg

Filled some 36 cells with old dirt from my 5 gallon buckets from last year.
RCiL4q6.jpg

I call this the money shot.
UmJ7eIH.jpg

Not sponsored by Drip Depot.
d41fbvg.jpg

I'll have 36 Khang Starr Plants this year.
IvjxNVM.jpg

Here's a few of the extra randoms that I pulled, I'm trying to give them away to someone local.
bniDqgo.jpg

My biggest problem now is I can't find any gloves. I've got a sauce thats been fermenting since November I need to bottle in afew week and no gloves to use. That on top of the fact that I HATE the feeling of raw meat on my hands is making my germaphobia go crazy right now.

Looking great! While I enjoy doing Kratky and coir, I'm starting to miss just tossing dirt at a pot with a few seeds. Don't want another tent infestation, though, so... oh well.

Hawkins said:
My biggest problem now is I can't find any gloves. I've got a sauce thats been fermenting since November I need to bottle in afew week and no gloves to use. That on top of the fact that I HATE the feeling of raw meat on my hands is making my germaphobia go crazy right now.

Man, it didn't even occur to me that people would be hoarding gloves, too. Glad I already had a full box before the apocalypse set in.

Hawkins said:
Finally got around to up potting this year.

They where getting a little crowded.
lbDKrdx.jpg

This one looks super good and healthy.
aKQKwyx.jpg

Filled some 36 cells with old dirt from my 5 gallon buckets from last year.
RCiL4q6.jpg

I call this the money shot.
UmJ7eIH.jpg

Not sponsored by Drip Depot.
d41fbvg.jpg

I'll have 36 Khang Starr Plants this year.
IvjxNVM.jpg

Here's a few of the extra randoms that I pulled, I'm trying to give them away to someone local.
bniDqgo.jpg

I found gloves at my home depot yesterday

internationalfish said:
Looking great! While I enjoy doing Kratky and coir, I'm starting to miss just tossing dirt at a pot with a few seeds. Don't want another tent infestation, though, so... oh well.

Man, it didn't even occur to me that people would be hoarding gloves, too. Glad I already had a full box before the apocalypse set in.
I managed my timing a little better this year, I didn't want a jungle in the house again like last year.

And me either, and I normally have a few boxes from Harbor Freight, but I just happened to run out at the same time all the craziness happened. Regretting my life decisions not to raid them now.

Also forgot to mention the total, tonight I transplanted 180 plants. I'll do another 180 tomorrow and at the end of the week another round. I'll also be starting tomatoes at the end of the week, and everything else next week, cucumbers, squash, melons.

COVID-19 made me scale back on the peppers some and adjust for more personal food. I'd rather be prepared for a worse case food shortage scenario.

Mildfruit said:
Do you remember how the khangstar lemonburst pods are formed? My first pod have emerged and it seems rather round, almost disc shaped, but no sign of a tail. Do they form later or from the start? Never grown peppers with stingers before  :P
My first couple did not have a tail at all, they were more of a lobe shape. But then they started being the correct version. It's still unstable at this point.

Been awhile, but here is an update, this weekend we will get frost, in May. luckily I have not planted yet, but I did have to bring everything into the house.

HMNqizi.jpg

cR267BR.jpg
7re2vcI.jpg

axf9CuW.jpg

Tomatoes are doing great.
GryJgRZ.jpg
So is the Squash and Zucchini
XwIl4lC.jpg

I'll have weed barrier for everything this year, and a tiller for the tractor, so I'm hoping for a smooth year.

Back