• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Yellow 7 Pot Seeds

I just want to take a moment to thank you all for being so great. I'm a new grower and this forum has really started me off on the right foot. I'm planning on growing my first superhot next season, and I've decided on the yellow 7 pot due to its high recommendation on this forum. While searching for seeds, I wasn't able to find any yellows that just said "yellow 7 pot." They all have different names, such as "yellow chaguanas 7 pot" and "7 pot primo." So what name should I be looking for if I just want to grow the standard yellow 7 pot? Also, how well do the chinense species usually do in hotter climates? Here in Vegas it's regularly over 100 in the summer.

They will need tons of shade or I suggest growing them indoor if you cant give em tons of shade 100+ degrees is to hot for even hot chilies. Its said that temps of 95+ the pollen will abort as well as the plants will need to be watered a lot, Growing indoors seems like your best bet. or maybe grow them indoors and take em out when temps start to drop?

+1 on megahots comment here in phoenix its pretty much the same weather as up your way all summer my plants grew but very slowly now that it has started to cool off they have grown almost 2x the size. and almost all are flowering. my suggestion is if you are growing outdoors pick a partial shaded area for your plants. (I used a 75% sun fabric) of the 18 plants i have i only lost 2 manzanos.

Vodu said:
I have some Yellow 7 Pot that I can send you.

PM me if you would like some.
PM sent.

megahot said:
They will need tons of shade or I suggest growing them indoor if you cant give em tons of shade 100+ degrees is to hot for even hot chilies. Its said that temps of 95+ the pollen will abort as well as the plants will need to be watered a lot, Growing indoors seems like your best bet. or maybe grow them indoors and take em out when temps start to drop?
I would love to be able to grow indoors, unfortunately I don't have the space right now. Maybe when I move in a couple years or so I'll be able to. As far as the water goes, I'm planning on using shredded bark mulch and drip irrigation. I wasn't aware that pollen aborted at 95+, I'll have to do research and hopefully find some way to prevent/reduce that. Thanks for the tip!

howardsnm1 said:
+1 on megahots comment here in phoenix its pretty much the same weather as up your way all summer my plants grew but very slowly now that it has started to cool off they have grown almost 2x the size. and almost all are flowering. my suggestion is if you are growing outdoors pick a partial shaded area for your plants. (I used a 75% sun fabric) of the 18 plants i have i only lost 2 manzanos.
The area that im planning to plant in does get SOME shade during the hotter part of the day. Almost half my plants will be getting full sun all day, while the others will get shaded by my house at around 3:00 or so. If I were to use sun fabric, should I position it vertically so it will shade the plants only at the hottest part of the day, or should I position it horizontally over the plants so they are shaded all of the time?

Here in phoenix plant in pots, that makes them easily moveable I have little patio casters under the pots so I can also push them under the awning  with the misters when it gets too hot or into the garage during the night time this winter. I kept 2 orange hab plants that way for about 2 years.

howardsnm1 said:
 Here in phoenix plant in pots, that makes them easily moveable I have little patio casters under the pots so I can also push them under the awning  with the misters when it gets too hot or into the garage during the night time this winter. I kept 2 orange hab plants that way for about 2 years.
I was actually considering doing this. I have a bunch of 7 gallon buckets laying around. That'd probably make it easier since different plants will do better in different spots. I was just worried about the soil temperature rising faster, since there will be less soil to keep it regulated. If it works for you, however, I would think it'd work here too. I'll do some plants in the garden and some in the container so I have a comparison. Thanks!

Vegas_Chili said:
HotPursuit hit me up, I'm local and I have some seed I can share. I live by the Nellis base. PM me ;).

, Walter
Awesome, man. Pm sent  :)

Keep them cool by putting stakes in the ground around them and putting tinfoil between the stakes. About a foot above the plant. Gives them shade and reflects most of the sun, while all the light that comes indirectly from the sides gets bounced to the plant. But have them in movable pots just in case.

cruzzfish said:
Keep them cool by putting stakes in the ground around them and putting tinfoil between the stakes. About a foot above the plant. Gives them shade and reflects most of the sun, while all the light that comes indirectly from the sides gets bounced to the plant. But have them in movable pots just in case.
That's a good idea, it'd certainly be a cheaper method. I'm also trying to find a way to insulate the pots themselves so the soil temps won't get as high when they are getting sun. Foil might fit the bill pretty well, as long as it doesn't bounce hotspots of light to the other plants. Foam insulation would also work, but will be pricier and I don't know which would be more effective.

Tin foil? Really? I don't mean to sound skeptical, but I don't think that would last a week in our harsh climate up here! Tarps work great though. :)

The only problem with tinfoil is that it might not hold up in the rain. If it becomes a problem, you could put a piece of plywood over it, and then some more over the ply that is taped down. You need the reflective side, it cuts down on heat buildup by a good few degrees.

cruzzfish said:
The only problem with tinfoil is that it might not hold up in the rain. If it becomes a problem, you could put a piece of plywood over it, and then some more over the ply that is taped down. You need the reflective side, it cuts down on heat buildup by a good few degrees.
I'd be worried about the rain, but also the wind. Foil tears so easily that a strong gust would likely rip it away.I was thinking of spraying some plywood with spray adhesive, sticking the foil on, then propping it up with some steel brackets. I've got all that stuff laying around in my garage so it wouldn't cost anything. Then my garden area wouldn't get any of the hottest sun. I'm just not sure what would be the best material to insulate the outsides of my pots with. I'm most worried about them, since the soil will heat up faster than in the garden. I guess I'll try some with foil and the others with some sort of foam and just take soil temps to see which works better. Now to find a suitable foam...

HotPursuit said:
I'd be worried about the rain, but also the wind. Foil tears so easily that a strong gust would likely rip it away.I was thinking of spraying some plywood with spray adhesive, sticking the foil on, then propping it up with some steel brackets. I've got all that stuff laying around in my garage so it wouldn't cost anything. Then my garden area wouldn't get any of the hottest sun. I'm just not sure what would be the best material to insulate the outsides of my pots with. I'm most worried about them, since the soil will heat up faster than in the garden. I guess I'll try some with foil and the others with some sort of foam and just take soil temps to see which works better. Now to find a suitable foam...
You phrased it better than I did. And I think Vodu found the best idea.

HotPursuit said:
That looks perfect. I would think that would hold up to the weather pretty well too since its made to withstand heat and looks watertight as well. I'd be surprised if it didn't last a full season. Thanks again, Vodu  :clap:

cruzzfish said:
You phrased it better than I did. And I think Vodu found the best idea.

The first year I tried it, I used the stuff that was white on the outside.  It lasted an entire season, but up here at 5280 feet, the UV is quite a bit more intense, so the white outer covering got brittle and cracked, that makes a nice mess.

The silver works  a lot better, but YMMV.

cruzzfish said:
Why use tinfoil when you can use aluminized mylar instead? The same silver reflective plastic wrap they sell to wrap Christmas presents with, but minus the paper backing. A slightly heavier version is sold as reflective plastic mulch. http://www.johnnyseeds.com/p-7885-metallic-silver-mulch-4-x-50.aspx I've also seen it for sale in hydroponics shops.

stickman said:
Why use tinfoil when you can use aluminized mylar instead? The same silver reflective plastic wrap they sell to wrap Christmas presents with, but minus the paper backing. A slightly heavier version is sold as reflective plastic mulch. http://www.johnnyseeds.com/p-7885-metallic-silver-mulch-4-x-50.aspx I've also seen it for sale in hydroponics shops.
Because you might have tinfoil lying around, thus saving money? But if you want something to last, what you REALLY want to do is put water tubing around it, put the mylar  over that and pump the water back around through a refrigerator. Might run into some upkeep issues though. 

Whoa, didn't read this massive thread but I'm in southern AZ - you'll be fine in terms of heat, maybe need to shade a bit but they should grow even during hottest parts of summer. I also have yellow 7 pot seeds I can spare, let me know if you want some.

Back