• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Yellow 7 Pot Seeds

impending_bending said:
Whoa, didn't read this massive thread but I'm in southern AZ - you'll be fine in terms of heat, maybe need to shade a bit but they should grow even during hottest parts of summer. I also have yellow 7 pot seeds I can spare, let me know if you want some.
Well it's good to know that someone is having success in this hellish heat lol. Im probably over thinking everything but this is my first year growing in this location so I'm just worrying a bit. I appreciate the offer, but Vodu is already sending me some seeds. Thanks though.

stickman said:
Why use tinfoil when you can use aluminized mylar instead? The same silver reflective plastic wrap they sell to wrap Christmas presents with, but minus the paper backing. A slightly heavier version is sold as reflective plastic mulch. http://www.johnnyseeds.com/p-7885-metallic-silver-mulch-4-x-50.aspx I've also seen it for sale in hydroponics shops.
That stuff looks pretty cool, I've never seen it before. I've decided to use that water heater insulation on the pots and I'll put 30 percent shade cloth over the canopy once the temps start getting up there. I'll keep that product in mind though, I may change my mind yet.

cruzzfish said:
Because you might have tinfoil lying around, thus saving money? But if you want something to last, what you REALLY want to do is put water tubing around it, put the mylar  over that and pump the water back around through a refrigerator. Might run into some upkeep issues though. 
Lol, that would be pretty awesome. I bet the plants could handle some serious heat waves with that setup along with a little shade cloth. It's too bad money IS an object for me because I'd love to build something like that just for the experience.

Thanks everybody for all the help. This was my first thread and I can already tell that this forum/community is top notch  :)

If I had the space and funding, I would also. But until then, I grow under lights in my basement. No cooling problems there. Heating is a different story.

I gather that stuff is about preventing the plants from getting too hot. If that's the case, those ideas certainly aren't bad, but one of the simplest and most effective things you can do is use a large pot and keep it watered - the evaporation will keep it sufficiently cool and the size will provide a large thermal inertia and provide plenty of water. Combine that with shade and you're golden.
If the plants are too young, however, it might be more difficult, but you can construct a timed misting system for less than ~$40 that will give it a 'revival' mid day - this isn't optimal though and shouldn't be done unless you need to. Although, keeping them warm in the coming months seems like a more pressing matter... Heat transfer is one of my areas of expertise; if you want more design details just let me know. 

Back