• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

chinense Yellow Bhut Jolokia and Lemon Bhut Jolokia

Not according to some of the stuff I've read-assuming it's true-toss the dice.

Lemon Bhut is a developed/engeneered cross and Yellow Bhut Jolokia is supposed to be a naturally occuring yellow bhut strain.

I read it on the internet.It's gotta be true. LOL

Dave's Dragon dust explained to me that he stopped calling it lemon bhut after lots of confusion and complaints, and he also stopped calling it a hybrid/cross and now insists its a true breeding mutant but the same as the yellow bhut

Dave said:
Yeah, the mutant allegedly appeared only this past August, yet he's CERTAIN it's a true breeding mutant.
This is after he admitted to lying about it being a "carefully controlled cross"!!!

What a total fraud!!!!!!!

~DiggingDog

DiggingDogFarm said:
Yeah, the mutant allegedly appeared only this past August, yet he's CERTAIN it's a true breeding mutant.
This is after he admitted to lying about it being a "carefully controlled cross"!!!

What a total fraud!!!!!!!

~DiggingDog

7 mutants out of 300.......:P

I bought some seeds back in November and they have sprouted, so we will see what happens. Of course, our friends in 'Oz will be able to tell us first.

jacob

I suspect that if there is such a thing as a yellow bhut , that it iis in fact a cross.
Consider all the yellow long fruited C. Chinense varieties that could have been used to create it...such a cross would likely stabilize quickly....then again it may just still be an unstable hybrid.

http://www.chileplants.com/search.a...Search=True&SearchMode=simple&SearchButton=Go

Mutants occur only once in several thousand plants!!! Tens or even hundreds of thousands sometimes.

What's the chance that it would also just fall into the lap of someone who sells overpriced seeds on eBay??

~DiggingDog

Either way, I would be happy to try these. I'll probably wait a couple of years until we know what it is though.

If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

I am not a plant geneticist but I would suspect that color mutation will be more like 1 in a million odds. Add in that 7 plants and I think the odds get astronomical. Almost certain it is a cross, but one I thought could be interesting which is why I went ahead and bought them. Time will tell if it was worth trying or not.

jacob

I suspect that if there is such a thing as a yellow bhut , that it iis in fact a cross.
Consider all the yellow long fruited C. Chinense varieties that could have been used to create it...such a cross would likely stabilize quickly....then again it may just still be an unstable hybrid.

http://www.chileplants.com/search.a...Search=True&SearchMode=simple&SearchButton=Go

Mutants occur only once in several thousand plants!!! Tens or even hundreds of thousands sometimes.

What's the chance that it would also just fall into the lap of someone who sells overpriced seeds on eBay??

~DiggingDog
Did it ever occur to you that the mutation happened the previous season. And the seed from the plant got mixed with who knows how many seeds of the regular red variety. The seed came from The Chile pepper institiute in New Mexico. The chances that it fell into the lap of someone who sells seed "overpriced" or not are high. But It did. Now what. Whatever you do, don't grow them. They aren't hot, or yellow or flavorful. Hell they are not even chiles.

Back