• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Yellow Leaves?

What does it mean when your plant's leaves start turning yellow one by one? I don't think it is too little water cause I had that on other plants and the leaves wilted. They came back after a good soaking. These leaves aren't wilting.

So far it is only on my Peter peppers (which are twice the height of other peppers started at the same time).

Does it indicate too much watering or maybe a need for fertilizer?

Can be too much water - chile plants like to dry out a little between watering. & water at the base of the plant not over the top. Another problem is root binding - are they in pots?

could be a lack of Potassium (the K in NPK) known as chlorosis. have you also experienced fruit and flower drop, poor overall growth, poor quality fruit or blotchy ripening? it so then it's likely you need to feed a little. a lack of nitrogen (the N) can also lead to leaf yellowing - is the foliage healthy and full or patchy and sparse? (you don't want excessive leaves so be careful of too much N)

try a balanced tomato food for a week or two and see what happens (I presume you have fruit/blossoms present).

bentalphanerd could be correct also. if the plants are in pots make sure they don't have 'wet feet'

Hmmm. Probabably not root binding cause I just moved them to a larger container after I found the roots poking out of the dirt plugs I grew 'em in. Could be wet feet cause they are now in larger containers with no heat pad. I'll try putting them back on the heat pad & adding some fertilzer.

No fruit yet by the way. Most of them only have about 8 leaves so far. They may be taking their time growing cause they were in the dirt plugs so long & haven't had fertilizer yet & don't have any fancy lights (just window light which is at times full direct sunlight).

The mystery of my yellow leave is solved...kind of. After giving the plants fertalizer they started to get a little greener but then got worse again. Today one bent in half until the the top touched the dirt. I found that the outer skin of the stem is gone in a large patch and you can see inside to the fiberous insides.

Seems I've got tan or pale gold scales all over the lower half of the stems and whatever they are they are verrryyyy slowly eating away at the outer skin. I don't think they are aphids cause they don't look like bugs. Don't know what they are or how they could possibly have arrived. We have no other plants in the house and all the windows & doors have been closed tight for months because of winter. The seeds were grown in those dirt plugs that come with a seed tray. Maybe they were in that soil? I would have expected the soil to be sterilized. Maybe it is a disease that the seeds already had?

In any event, since I don't have a spray bottle I rubbed a good amount of soap on my fingers and slathered it all over the things hoping it will kill them.

Anyone have any ideas what they are & how to kill them?

Back