• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Yellow Rocoto off to a good start

I grew this one from seed and its looking good so far as its been outside now for 4 weeks and it sprouted outside in this container. I have a 1 inch red rocoto that looks like it will do pretty good as well. I'm hoping our long season will produce some peppers, if not then I will keep them alive this winter under lights in a container. 

Attachments

• yellow rocoto.jpg
    yellow rocoto.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 60
Looking good man! I'm growing a couple of yellow rocoto varieties this year as well, that I can't wait to get outside. I'm sure you'll get some peppers with your plant looking that healthy this early in the season.

Thegreenchilemonster said:
Looking good man! I'm growing a couple of yellow rocoto varieties this year as well, that I can't wait to get outside. I'm sure you'll get some peppers with your plant looking that healthy this early in the season.
Thanks for the encouragement its one of the varieties this season that I really want to grow successfully. I'm guessing I will like the yellow better than the red just the same as I do with other varieties where I like the yellows better than the reds. 

Is the process of germinating rocotos the same as the other varieties (chinense, anuum)? I'll be receiving a mixed yellow/orange seeds for next season looking forward to somfhing different.

Your plant looks good, hope you get a good crop off it.

Jase4224 said:
Is the process of germinating rocotos the same as the other varieties (chinense, anuum)? I'll be receiving a mixed yellow/orange seeds for next season looking forward to somfhing different.

Your plant looks good, hope you get a good crop off it.
Yeah, germination is the same as Chinense/Annuum/Baccatum. They are really fun plants to grow, plus the pods are great for just about anything culinarily.

az1000 said:
Looking good.
A little smaller for this part of year.
I started mine in autumn and now I have buds on them.
Good luck.
Looking good.
A little smaller for this part of year.
I started mines in autumn and now I have buds on them.
Good luck.
our growing season goes into November

SavinaRed said:
I can't wait for my Rio Huallage Rocoto to germinate. My Peru Bitdumi is about an inch tall now and doing well. So hopefully I will have a red, an orange and yellow rocoto peppers this year to enjoy.
Last year one of my plants was putting off both red and orange rocoto pods simultaneously. I OWd that one, so it will be back in action n the next week. I'm planting 5 Peru Bitdumi, and 4 Ecuadorian Sweet rocoto in the ground this Sunday. I started those plants at the end of Summer last year, and they are already quite big. None of the three Rio Huallaga seeds I was gifted germinated, but I do have decent sized plants of the Aji Oro, and Yellow Rocoto.

I ordered Red and Orange rocoto plants from CCN. Having to move across country during the normal germination time frame kind of precluded me from growing my own from seeds this year. Looking forward to trying them out.

Plants look great SR. Then again, your backyard is a cornucopia of healthy looking plants and trees ;)

Back