• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

overwintering Yet another overwintering question

Ok, the reason I don't know the answer to this one is becvause A) I sometimes don't pay attention, and B) I've never jad to overwinter before indoors (yaaaa Los Angeles).

So, since I'm moving some plants indoors, I don't have to cut them back right?

If you're planning on keeping them underneath lights, cutting them back a little would make it easier to manage. Light intensity follows the inverse square law, so shorter bushier plants do better under grow lights than tall ones.

Dunno so much about overwintering, just growing inside.

Your mileage may vary Newbie but
A. All the leaves are gonna fall off.
B. There gonna get covered with bugs.
C. The tips of the branches will turn brown and move their way down as far as you let them. If you desire a nice big bushy bush, you can slow this down by clipping off the dead parts a little at a time instead of hacking off the entire thing at once.

Iggy,

You armed and ready for the insects? That's a huge problem bringing plants indoors, at least it was for me last year.

Mike

Still a Bengals Fan even at 0-7!

ABurningMouth said:
Your mileage may vary Newbie but
A. All the leaves are gonna fall off.
B. There gonna get covered with bugs.
C. The tips of the branches will turn brown and move their way down as far as you let them. If you desire a nice big bushy bush, you can slow this down by clipping off the dead parts a little at a time instead of hacking off the entire thing at once.
Well, the bug thing I figured might happen, but why would the leaves fall off and the plant turn brown?

wordwiz said:
Iggy,

You armed and ready for the insects? That's a huge problem bringing plants indoors, at least it was for me last year.

Mike

Still a Bengals Fan even at 0-7!
I've got my neem oil and I'm ready to spray the plants tonight and probably bring them in in a few days.

Still a Browns fan even at whatever we're at now....

Iggy...if you are not trying to grow pods through the winter..just cut them way back...shall I say extreme...and repot them...trim your root ball to be about as big as the top...I think willard was the one that said that...but then again, it may have been Potawie or Pablo...

I am probably talking out my A** because I have only overwintered one plant in my life but It was extreme cutback to nubs....and you know my Orange hab I have bragged on all year...speaking of...it has now produced over 800 pods this year and it is still setting fruit....

Bugs, IMO, are inevitable if you are inside since there are no predators to keep them in check...unless you want to turn loose a bunch of lady bugs in your friends house...(wow, man that spot moved...) you will wonder where they came from...

imaguitargod said:
Well, the bug thing I figured might happen, but why would the leaves fall off and the plant turn brown?
I'm just trying to scare ya.
it's ok it's Just temporary. The lower temps and repotting on top of it all is quite a shock.
The sudden change in climate and light.
They are just trying to get their indoor leaves on.
They are easy to over water, get moldy soil, and die.
Are you scared yet?

ABurningMouth said:
I'm just trying to scare ya.
it's ok it's Just temporary. The lower temps and repotting on top of it all is quite a shock.
The sudden change in climate and light.
They are just trying to get their indoor leaves on.
They are easy to over water, get moldy soil, and die.
Are you scared yet?
Nope.

And AJ, yes, I am trying to get pods over the winter :)

Pods over the winter require lights.

I would cut way back because the new growth will adapt much better to the new light source.

In a window in OHIO, the plant will put it's last bit of life into the pods and die way before spring.

You can't have your cake, eat it, and eat someone else's too. Also don't pick your friend's nose.(?)

You get my point! This aint LA;)

AlabamaJack said:
Iggy...if you are not trying to grow pods through the winter..just cut them way back...shall I say extreme...and repot them...trim your root ball to be about as big as the top...I think willard was the one that said that...but then again, it may have been Potawie or Pablo...

I am probably talking out my A** because I have only overwintered one plant in my life but It was extreme cutback to nubs....and you know my Orange hab I have bragged on all year...speaking of...it has now produced over 800 pods this year and it is still setting fruit....

Bugs, IMO, are inevitable if you are inside since there are no predators to keep them in check...unless you want to turn loose a bunch of lady bugs in your friends house...(wow, man that spot moved...) you will wonder where they came from...

Nope you are talking wisdon A.J thats what ive been told and done,Off course it makes sense to cut them back and promote new growth as the plant/s think the season has started again,Ive seen exception`s like the bird types and some thai/Japanese plants that are just slightly clipped back where needed and will flourish all year in a window(slowing down of course) and speed up flowering and fruiting in the new year like Japanese Hot Claw :lol:

My plants are getting too much new growth. Do I let them grow and then once a month give them a buzz haircut or nip things in the bud? It's still quite warm upstairs, at least on some days, but for the most part they are not in direct light. Or do I need to put covers over them?

Mike

You don't want them to flower right? Then just keep cutting them back until the growth stops.

Or, you could just let it grow and pinch all the flowers as they appear. I'd probably prefer the multiple cuttings though.

I'm trying to understand the logic behind cutting the roots back? There seems to be no conclusive recommendation for or against cutting them back. This year, I didn't cut the roots back, and my overwintered plants are now flowerng/fruiting.

To me, unless the root mass is dead, exactly what does cutting the roots back achieve? I would of thought more roots = higher intake of nutrients + water, allowing the plant to regenerate quicker? Mind you, there might be some studies somewhere that completely falsify my suggestions, but from what I can see, people who have cut roots back have done well, and people who havent have also done well.

Back