• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

favorite You Favorite Red "Habanero"

Zackorz said:

Sounds interesting, do you know where i can get some seeds?
I am growing some this year from seeds i was gifted, but so far the pods don't look as though they are growing true :mope:
oh well, hopefully they still taste good.
guess i'll keep looking for isolated Galapagos Isabella red Hab  too

there is so many more that i still want to try to grow then i actually have room to grow, but that's just the way it goes :)

:cheers: 

I'm bummed the red savina I bought at my local nursery is some kind of a cross but nothing like a red savina. I'll have to acquire some seeds for next season.

My favorite is the Antillais Carribbean Habanero  it has a very mikd sweet flavor to me and I will always eat them right off the bush.  I also like the Jamaican Red Scotch Bonnet. 

SavinaRed said:
I'm bummed the red savina I bought at my local nursery is some kind of a cross but nothing like a red savina. I'll have to acquire some seeds for next season.
Let me know when you need seeds. My Savina has been isolated all year and I have been saving seeds from my best pods. I'll gladly ship you some seeds, assuming your in the U.S...

I was sorting thru my seed book and it occurred to me that I have had my Savina for almost 4 years and didn't have any seeds incase it doesn't make it one winter. Figured I better get seeds before it's too late lol

Tried my Red Savina tonight. It was really nice. Very thick walled, more like eating a bell than a Hab. Pretty juicy too, I'll have to try another as nothing stood out taste wise except chinense taste/smell. Fun level of heat, except on got it on my lips some how and it stung pretty good. I'm thinking the thick walls of the pods are gonna make a fun sauce base.

jcw10tc said:
You had Antillais Carribbean Habanero in your research.  They are very good,  Not too hot, made an awesome smoked powder with these a few years ago, and one of the best looking pods ever, ripen to a perfect high gloss red and nice shape with no irregularities.  They have a good sweetness to them.

I have to agree, my favorite has been the Antilles Caribbean Hab, its an awesome tasting hab, although the peach habs I grew this year taste very similar, plus I grew red savs again for the first time in years, so I may have to think it over

Well I dont know what version this is but its the fruitiest Ive come across. As soon as I cut into it the area filled with a sweet fruity hab smell.

_A045736_RedHabanero-1500_zpsvpmnxqhl.jpg

I tested the following this year:

- Galapagos Isabella
- Habanero St. Martin
- Antillais Caribbean
- West Indies Red
- MOA Red
- Scotch Bonnet Safi
- Scotch Bonnet Red

The 2 best by far were "Antillais Caribbean" and "West Indies Red".

I found the "West Indies a little bit better but they are very close.

Sweet, very fruity and a good but not too-strong habanero aroma. Absolutely fantastic. 

dragonsfire said:
Well I dont know what version this is but its the fruitiest Ive come across. As soon as I cut into it the area filled with a sweet fruity hab smell.

_A045736_RedHabanero-1500_zpsvpmnxqhl.jpg

Very cool shape, do you safed some seeds?

Condor's Beak

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mt6yyz9goyA

this red hab came from seed i saved whilst in mexico. i went to a market and bought the fresh pods and saved the seed. the fresh pods in mexico were sweet, at first i thought they may be scotch bonnet but after growing them out, here they laced the sweetness and taste like an ordinary red habanero - perhaps my cool growing season.  but this variety out produced all my other varieties including annuums, all seeds germinated, flowered and fruited early, then ripened early.

i have had several red habanero varieties but i think caribbean red had the better flavour.

I haven't had enough to declare it a "favorite," but i really like the Congo Trinidad.  (So does Nigel Carter.)  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZwyjshRHpg  

I've seen these listed both ways: "Congo Trinidad" and "Trinidad Congo;" it's my understanding that hab-type chiles are referred to as "Congo" throughout the Caribbean. Definitely tasted hab-ish to me, but i've got dozens of other habs to try before I declare a favorite.

Bicycle808 said:
I haven't had enough to declare it a "favorite," but i really like the Congo Trinidad.  (So does Nigel Carter.)  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZwyjshRHpg  

I've seen these listed both ways: "Congo Trinidad" and "Trinidad Congo;" it's my understanding that hab-type chiles are referred to as "Congo" throughout the Caribbean. Definitely tasted hab-ish to me, but i've got dozens of other habs to try before I declare a favorite.

I had a very good hab last year, possibly a "congo". The seeds were labled with "congo black", but it was a red hab. The only thing irritated me, was that the fruits had a small to medium size and i always tought "congos" are big peppers?

Zackorz said:

I had a very good hab last year, possibly a "congo". The seeds were labled with "congo black", but it was a red hab. The only thing irritated me, was that the fruits had a small to medium size and i always tought "congos" are big peppers?
Congoes tend to be big for Hab/chinense peppers, but they're not big as compared to a lot of annuums  and stuff.

This year I orderd Senegal's form ccn they were supposed to look like this
They instead looked like this

The heat was probably around 300,000 to 350,000 shu flavor was slightly sweet fruity with some floral & grassiness that blended welli
These are a new favorite for me an I consider them more a bonnet type than a Habanero
This may be a crossed or just off pheno types but went ahead an saved some seed

Back