• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

You Should Beware in this House! Vodka...

A week ago, I had used some inexpensive Vodka as an ingredient in "Redneck Limoncello". (Starburst lemon drops dissolved in vodka) I was sitting there with a counter full of hot peppers, wondering how to use them all... Inspriation struck! Could I get a Ghost Pepper into a bottle?

Hmmmm.... They do not seem like they would fit?
I took the empty bottle out in the back garden and tried to place it over a growing pepper so when that pepper ripened, it would grow into the bottle. I have seen this done with pears and the like. My Ghost Peppers were fitting, but I could not contrive a way to safely tie it on and be happy it would work. Bummer.... :(

I went back into the kitchen and thought I could maybe force one in. They are about twice the size of the hole in the neck of the bottle. Placing the point in and pressing... Nooooo... Won't go in! Thought a second, and decided if I placed the stem end first and pushed.... VIOLA! It went into the bottle just like a cork!

I now have a bottle with a Red Ghost Pepper in it!

So, I decant a bottle of my Three Olives Vodka into that Stoli bottle and, oh boy, am I proud of that! There it sits upon the counter for almost a week. It gets a bit tinged red, but otherwise is fairly innocuous.

DSC05209hh.jpg

I watched it with a careful eye, never really having the nerve to try it....

My wife had her day off yesterday, and her and my older daughter had occasion to be making dinner in the very kitchen where this vodka was threatening to self-combust. Being the young person that she is, my daughter decided to try this bottle of unknown provenance, and simply talked her mother into it as well! :Well, one thing led to another, and they apparently poured a half shot each and said "Prost!"

I am out in my reloading bench area, and two choking and cursing women seek me out to complain about the vile thing I did to them! They were red-faced and choking, threatening to reverse flow and calling me names!

Suffice it to say that you SHOULD KNOW anything in this house with one of my garden's Ghost Peppers in it should warrant some amount of caution? You Think? I calmly went in and assured them they would survive. I did put four drops onto a tablespoon to sample..... Holy carp! That stuff is... Well... Grab your ankles and scream!

Now, let's mosey over to those apple slices marinating in the Bourbon, shall we?

here is my first attempt with some cheap tequila, plenty of habaneros, and fresno's, made for great shots and even better bloody maria's, the alcohol really tames the heat, its not terrible even for non chilli heads the heat doesn't last long and has great after taste

photo-11-1.jpg

It's awesome!...

and since this thread is active again, I'd suggest taking the stems off the chiles before immersing in alkeehaul. It does look cool with the green and other colors. But the stems could give it an off taste, not just a straight pepper taste. Just personal preference is all.

Back