• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Your homegrown peppers may not be as hot!!

I don't buy that logic at all.

As has been stated, a stressed plant will be the hottest, not a happy one. Peppers are likely to be hotter in less than ideal conditions. The logic being that the heat is a defense mechanism. Peppers are just seed protectors.

If the plant percieves that growing conditions are poor, or that it will only have energy to produce a few pods, those pods will be hotter, because they may be the plant's only shot at procreation.

that's logical, but what we consider 'ideal conditions' for peppers are the ones that give the hotter pods so the pepper plant considers these conditions not ideal - they still grow but protect their peppers with more capsaicin. i guess what we're calling ideal isn't what a typical vegetable grower would call ideal, we're looking for that stress sweet point where the plant still thrives but give the heat. some places clearly provide that 'sweet spot' naturally...

clearly rainbowberry was then too good at providing for her plants.

I agree that the growing conditions play a big part in productivity and quality of fruit....while I do fertilize my tomatoes often, I rarely fertilize or water my chillies and they seem to thrive on these "harsh" conditions...but only to a point, if they start to look unhealthy they obviously are in need of some help (water, fertilizer, insecticide, etc.)

I don't think you should stress a plant intentionally in the growth state, only when pods have formed and only if you want to sacrifice some productivity for extra heat.

POTAWIE said:
I don't think you should stress a plant intentionally in the growth state, only when pods have formed and only if you want to sacrifice some productivity for extra heat.

True, I agree....to be more precise, I start young plants out watering and fertilizing (manure and fish emulsion), use good soil with compost and trace minerals added, careful about pests and disease,...but after bloom and the pods are set...I do cut back a lot with the care...with excellent results...I should also add that I grow most of my peppers in pots in full sun on the hot asphalt...it may be that the extra heat helps them....
Note: I live in the North and what we consider hot up north is not the same as hot down in the Southern states, I am merely trying to provide as much heat as I can.

it could also be that certain hybrids do not grow true children
this is very common with some produce which have been engineered for consumption like bell peppers, corn etc

lennyk said:
it could also be that certain hybrids do not grow true children
this is very common with some produce which have been engineered for consumption like bell peppers, corn etc

Very true, that is why I've gone back to growing heirloom organic varieties of veggies....they are less disease resistant, but they taste better and you pretty much know what you're getting if your looking to save some seeds for next year.

Cocky? I think Daisy is bang on. Hybrids have no chance of becoming exactly like their parent where heirlooms or open pollinated varieties most likely will.

cheezydemon said:
Heirlooms will cross pollinate just as quick! Don't be cocky!

(but I love crosses and mutants anyways)

POTAWIE said:
Cocky? I think Daisy is bang on. Hybrids have no chance of becoming exactly like their parent where heirlooms or open pollinated varieties most likely will.

*LOL:lol:*--not the first time I've been accused of being cocky!

I agree with you Cheezydemon, on liking the crosses between different varieties of plants...but like Potawie says,...F1 hybrids (I'm talking the genetically engineered hybrids) have great difficulty reproducing the same way mules and hinnies are almost completely sterile offspring of donkeys and horses...the chromosomes that result from these crosses are almost incompatible with the rest of the species (whether we're talking plants or animals)

Genetically engineered hybrids = Bad:hell:

Living in a tropical climate I have found that all I need to do is drop the seeds in and kick back and watch them. At 1st I was babying them and found that I was actually hurting them more than I was helping (i.e. over watering, over fertilizing).

The problem here is that the nice tomatoes, corn, etc. that u guys enjoy won't grow here due to the heat. Omri, do u have that problem where u live? I was just sent some Israeli tomato seeds and 1/2 didn't come up and 1/2 of what did promptly died. Was told that they did well in hot climates but I guess I was misinformed.

Philipperv said:
Living in a tropical climate I have found that all I need to do is drop the seeds in and kick back and watch them. At 1st I was babying them and found that I was actually hurting them more than I was helping (i.e. over watering, over fertilizing).
I live in England so obviously I haven't got the heat but I did find myself over-watering as soon as it got warm, which was rarely. I usually fertilize once a week no matter what the weather is. But I did really pamper them far too much.

*Love your name, can't quite work out if it's Philip perv or Philippe rv :)

i like to fertilize 'weakly weekly' but i let the plants get thirsty before watering so sometimes that turns into more than a week. i satisfy my need to dote on them by futzing with the growing setup and talking to them constantly. once the tomatoes and eggplant get started i'm better cuz i can baby them and they like it...

Daisy7117 said:
I agree with you Cheezydemon, on liking the crosses between different varieties of plants...but like Potawie says,...F1 hybrids (I'm talking the genetically engineered hybrids) have great difficulty reproducing the same way mules and hinnies are almost completely sterile offspring of donkeys and horses...the chromosomes that result from these crosses are almost incompatible with the rest of the species (whether we're talking plants or animals)

Genetically engineered hybrids = Bad:hell:

F1 does not denote a genetically engineered hybrid, it just denotes a first generation cross between two unlike parents. If a lab jumps fence with a beagle, their pups would be an F1 cross. The pups would certainly be fertile, and the only genetic engineer involved was Mother Nature.

In plants, if I remember correctly, commercial breeders take two fairly homozygous, established varieties and cross them to produce a desired hybrid, the F1 plant. The same cross must be made each year as an F1 cross is not stable. With traits that follow simple Mendelian genetics, the seeds from two F1 plants will usually be about half like the F1 parent, a quarter like one homozygous parent, and a quarter like the other homozygous parent. So, once again, the F1 designation does not mean the plant is sterile or has been genetically engineered beyond a bit of hand pollinating.

There really aren't that many varieties of crops on the market that have been genetically engineered in the truest definition of the phrase. The most famous, or infamous, are crops like Round-up Ready corn and soy beans or BT corn and potatoes. I don't know of any peppers or tomatoes on the market that are true transgenics.

don't forget canola! we love our canola up here in canada. then on top of that they came up with round-up ready canola. double whammy!

Back