• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Your homegrown peppers may not be as hot!!

I am growing some hot peppers in 15 inch pots next to a steel fence and hey get good sun most of the day and then heat radiates off the fence for a few extra hours and these peppers are bigger and hotter that the same variates in the garden getting the same sun. they are all in the same type of soil.

I can only think that the extra heat that the potted plants are getting is helping the heat of the fruit.

I'm sure there are lots of other factors involved but i think my fence theory (Patent Pending :P) is a winner!!!

Cheers

i've never had a problem out spicing the supermarket or even the local farmers market stand. when i grew some orange habs seranos thais kung pao and cayennes last year they were all hotter than the market

I've always found that whatever type of chilli I've bought from the supermarket has never been that hot. Just one Scotch Bonnet I bought from Tesco was out of this world.

this is why i started growing chile to begin with. we get exactly three types of pepper in the stores here: hungarian wax, jalapeno, and orange habs. they're usually wilty and the orange habs are so pathetic i can put a half a dozen of them in a stir fry and mom wouldn't mind, mom can barely handle the pickled ginger at sushi restaurants.

Cubanelle peppers are common too. Jalapenos are usually green heatless mush. Thats also why I started growing peppers, and tomatoes.

that is the reason i continued growing chiles, i thought it would be cool to grow a couple chile plants a few years ago and then i tried going to the market to get some habs when i didn't have the plant anymore and i figured i would only need 1 or 2, and i get home and am bassically just eating the damned thing it was so mild :| safeway grrrr

This makes me wonder..My carrabian reds were hotter than hell and I loved them but my japs were alot hotter than usual..After all this reading could my japs been cross polinated??Ive never had japs this hot..it was good.Im doing the mix this year so we will see

Cross-pollinating won't make it hotter or different, only the seeds from those pods will create hybrids. Jals from our grocery stores are bred to be mild so most that you grow yourself are going to be hotter.

I get my pepper plants (starters) from the same place every Mothers Day-- and they are always hot as hell.
My Tabascos last season were wicked-- Can't wait for the season to begin here in the northeast!!

Back