food Yucatan Margarita Recipe

Here's a margarita recipe taken from growhotpeppers.com:
Habanero, Lime and Patron: The Original Three Amigos

Ingredients
1 oz. Patron (or your favorite, high-quality tequila)
1 oz. Patron Citronge
1 oz. Freshly squeezed lime juice
You could use more than one ounce, just make sure the three parts are equal.
Now the fun begins.

Option 1
You can finely chop an habanero pepper or part of an habanero pepper or I suppose a pepper with less kick will do, then put all the ingredients in a shaker with ice and shake like the wind. Strain into a martini glass for an Habanero Margarita Straight Up or pour into a glass (rimmed with lime and salt) add more ice if needed. Garnish with a lime wedge.

Option 2
Pour the Patron, Patron Citronge and lime juice in a blender add ice and an habanero pepper (with seeds if you’re brave) then blend. This works better when making multiple margaritas that require more than 1 oz. per part. Pour into a glass (rimmed with lime and salt) and garnish with a lime wedge.

Option 3
Instead of using regular freshly squeezed lime juice, you can use a special habanero infused lime juice. The habanero infused lime juice is made by coarsely chopping an habanero and adding it to freshly squeezed lime juice yes, seeds and all. Let it sit in the fridge so that the lime juice absorbs the habanero flavors. The longer it sits the spicier it will get. You can use this habanero infused lime juice in Options 1 and 2 above instead of adding the habanero pepper. The new recipe would be one part Patron, one part Patron Citronge and one part habanero infused lime juice. Put the ingredients in a blender or shaker whatever option you prefer and enjoy.

Closing Note
Jenny likes to add just a splash of Blue Agave sweetener. It adds a certain “sweetness” to the margarita. But then technically that’s not a Yucatan margarita and my preference is without it. I’m a purist, what can I say.

sounds extreme Jenny...may have to try that....maybe Sunday...asujing I can substitute Don Julio for Patron?

Yep, I edited the ingredients to say patron or "your favorite, high-quality tequila."

And yes, this is extreme, but good! I once had a cold for months and after drinking this (seeds and all) it was just gone. Crazy! You can start this recipe with a half or quarter of an habanero, leave the seeds out and add a splash of agave sweetener (Trader Joe's sells a great organic version). It just depends on your heat preference.

Hope you like it!

Back