• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds Zone 5b/6a/6b people, have you started germinating seeds yet?

Have you started germinating seeds yet?

• Yes

Votes: 17 68.0%
  • No

Votes: 8 32.0%

• Total voters
Should I vote twice, one yes and one no?

I started one variety - 7-pod, only because they have a long Days to Maturity range. But most of the others I will not start for another month.

Mike

i dont know the zone but i have short summer here. will start seeds onend of february or in middle of march. chinenses maybe earlier.

Wow, I see I'm the only one who hasn't started yet. :lol:

Well, a couple of years ago was my first year and I was over-excited to start, that I began planing seeds around this time. Boy, did they grow! In fact I had such a hard time keeping up with them that many of my plants would have had small peppers on them if I wasn't pinching buds on a daily basis. Last year I think I started the first week of March and they all did really well and was ready for transplant in late May. This year, I'm planning on starting one week earlier than last year and see how that works.

BTW the first year I was planting out plants that were about 1 - 2 feet tall. It was a major PIA dealing with 125 plants that size inside.

Pepperfreak said:
Wow, I see I'm the only one who hasn't started yet. :lol:

Well, a couple of years ago was my first year and I was over-excited to start, that I began planing seeds around this time. Boy, did they grow!

BTW the first year I was planting out plants that were about 1 - 2 feet tall. It was a major PIA dealing with 125 plants that size inside.

I had that problem last year also because I started the annums the same time as the chinense in mid-January. By the month of May it looked like a jungle in my kitchen. 2-3 foot annums everywhere.

I've started my late season chinenses and chiltepines. Started January 5th and another batch on the 8th.
I'll start my annuums in early to mid February.

started my chinenses the day after christmas. most of them have sprouted. i will probably be starting jalapenos and all other annuums next month

I've started my pepper germination process on 1/10. So far my progress is going good as all but my Lemon drops and 7pods have sprouted. Like Pepperfreak says it is a PITA when the plants get big inside the house, but I'd rather deal with cutting them back and managing them then to have plants to small and weak to put outside. Good luck this year everyone!

Started my Bhuts, 7 Pod, Fatalli, and Peter Pepper this past weekend in jiffy pellets. They are sitting on a heating pad and the temp in the covered tray is 92 degrees.

Eastern PA - North Of Philly .... plan on starting my super hots next week with everything else Late Feb/early March. (I'm thinking positive - good crop this year, and don't want my house over run with 2 foot plants before plant-out time)
Bill

BillC said:
.... plan on starting my super hots next week with everything else Late Feb/early March. (I'm thinking positive - good crop this year, and don't want my house over run with 2 foot plants before plant-out time)
Bill

+1

Back