• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Zone 7a

It's so beautiful out I'm contemplating planting my seedlings... They've been sitting in a little makeshift greenhouse outside with no issues. The frost date isn't for another 3 weeks... Could I always go tie plastic bags around them on the ground to make a little mini greenhouse for a night if it gets cold? If so I wanna let my babies roots run wild and get in an extra 3 weeks of growing. :)
Should I do it?

Oh, I'm at the top of zone 7a

I'm hardening off all the plants here in NC. Can't wait to put 'em in the garden.
lowest temp for the next 2 weeks is ~47... I guess it's time.

Bit the bullet and planted my garden... The seedlings are already thanking me for it... Crazy Cajun belle is shooting out buds like there's no tomorrow.

wicked.... not even worried about my decision now. some of the plants have already doubled in size(some were only about 2" tall)

It's my understanding that temperatures below 50° will affect yields. I'm about 50 miles west of you. It's killing me, but I'm sitting tight until May 1 (or thereabouts).
I've no doubt that the plants can handle 40's without a problem, just worried about yield. Maybe an experiment is in order?

I do have some overwintered Pubes and chiltenpins in pots that I'm leaving out now.
Please keep us posted on how your plants do this summer.

Yep, will do! Btw your weather and climate there is totally different; you're going to be much colder and rainier. I have heard the same thing about stunting yield but I'm not worried... Soil temp shouldn't get too cold and my plants are buried deep

10-4 on the weather difference over a short distance. Just saw the NWS has a chance of snow showers Monday night!!
If you don't like the weather....wait a few minutes. Soil temp is definitely warm enough.

I have heard that low's affect yield, but never experienced it. If the plants are healthy they will continue to grow and produce flowers and pollinate said flowers and produce pods in temps into the mid 30's.

Back