• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

pests 1,000,000 aphids

Hey all,

Released about 750 ladybugs... they all died within 30 mins.... released 750 a day later... they died within 30 mins also.... WTF ???

Update: bug bomb did nothing.... please help me.

Too cold Mega. I know Spokane has been chilly, we've had 24° for the last 4 nights.

Poor little Lady Bugs... :(

Probably a stupid question, but any pesticides applied recently?

Sucks, regardless. You said they were dead within 30 minutes. I'm assuming you didn't release them when it was freezing outside.

ya,,thats what i was going to say maybe to cold. they can live "hibernate" in your fridge. but once freeze temps hit i think they done with.

These were released indoors... They all just fell on their back with their legs twitching... weird stuff.... I think I am just going to bomb my indoor garden... hopefully that will rid me of this aphid problem.

Where did you buy yours at? We usually get our at Northwest Seed and Pet and have not had any problems. For larger quantities we usually order through the mail.

Hey Snarg ! Was just in your town today! I got these through the mail. I just assumed Northwest would have stopped ordering for the year. I'll give them a call tomorrow; as they certainly helped me out earlier this year. You growing through the winter ?

Try spraying Neem Oil (1tsp/1 liter H2O) + a dab of Dr. Bronner's soap daily for aphids until they're gone. I even put a bit into my plants' water to kill fungal gnat larvae. Pyrethrin bombs are nasty last resorts, but there does come a time when it's your only option.

Hey Snarg ! Was just in your town today! I got these through the mail. I just assumed Northwest would have stopped ordering for the year. I'll give them a call tomorrow; as they certainly helped me out earlier this year. You growing through the winter ?
I'm going to overwinter, but I'm going to keep them as dormant as possible. I am hoping for an explosion of growth in the early spring.

. Pyrethrin bombs are nasty last resorts, but there does come a time when it's your only option.

OH MY Fin' JEBUS !!! I said screw it and unleashed a bomb... sealed the room blew it up... went back two hours later like the directions said... turned on the lights.... what do i find.... Aphids crawling around like nothing ever happened !!!! I need help in a serious way !!!

I dont think it killed a single bug !!!

Flamethrower! Works ever time. The pepper plants, well the are going to die anyway. But the aphids are dead! :flamethrower:

OH MY Fin' JEBUS !!! I said screw it and unleashed a bomb... sealed the room blew it up... went back two hours later like the directions said... turned on the lights.... what do i find.... Aphids crawling around like nothing ever happened !!!! I need help in a serious way !!!

I dont think it killed a single bug !!!

So sorry to hear what you're going through man. As a licensed pesticide applicator, I've seen time and again how quickly aphids can wipe out a healthy indoor crop. The 2 controls I swear by for most insects are food grade Diatomaceous Earth (takes a while on small guys like aphids), and the Neem/Bronner's/H2O solution I mentioned above, sprayed HEAVILY every day (won't kill eggs, so you must repeat to stay on top). These are also both considered organic controls, and are cheaper than most other pesticides. Best of luck battling those bastards!

Natural predators are the only thing that works for me with aphids but they seem to be most affective in the spring. For overwintering I cut plants way back to a stump

Back