• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

powder-flake 100 Pepper Powder Review

100 Pepper Powder Review Pt 6
pepperproblem

Sicman Mixed Jamaican
Chili powder confetti. Mixed shades of orange and red. More flaky than most with a restrained nose. No much risk of nasal burn here as the flakes stay put. This has a straight forward medium to hot burn that leans toward the earthier side. A good choice for a shaker. Med to hot

Joyners Pink Scotch Bonnet
Pink powder would have been cool. As it is, this is a vibrant shade of sunset orange. Another fine dry powder with a touch of chili residue. Pretty floral and fruity scents, that give the impression of heat. Pleasant and powerful, the furnace is turned up quickly and ever so slowly dialed back down. Nice sustained body warmth. Hot plus.

Joyners Scotch Bonnet
Closer to the red end of the spectrum, this borders on day glow like brightness. This too displays some residue along the bag wall. Characteristically close to the Pink, with that smooth fruity balanced heat. The separation here is when the heat becomes a tad more aggressive. If these were twins, this would be the Alpha. Hot plus

Wayright Congo Loa
A fine grind with a fresh picked pepper scent. Layers of orange blossom and sweet perfume fill the air. This powder gets a walk to 1[sup]st[/sup] , then tries to run the bases. A serious powder that holds off just a touch. Full, long and persistent heat that still manages to cling to its fruitiness. Pay attention, or it will steal home too. Hot plus, plus

Cmpman1974 Mako Akokosrade Grape Smoked
With added shades of yellow due to the smoking, it helps to make this the most uniformed looking powder to date. Like starring at a swatch at a paint store. It became a sort of “Wheres Waldo” to find anything out of place. Mouthwatering caramel and smoke with a backdrop of C. chinense. The burn is rather stealth, but noticeable. This seems like it can go at you harder, but decides, I am fine right here. Hot plus

100 Pepper Powder Review Pt 7 Heating up
Pepperproblem

Joemomma Caribbean Red
Bright Salmon colored with a even consistent grind, that is pure and clean. Nice dried chili attributes, with nothing out of place. It gives you a blast of juicy warmth and good length. This has plenty of backbone and works well as a transitional powder to the Super Hots. Hot plus

fishing4fun2 Fatalii
A yellow tinted, very fine powder that is well made. For a single varietal/non smoked powder this is quite complex. Smells of a citrus candle coupled with cereal grains, mixed with a bowl of tropical fruit. As the heat goes thru the paces, so does the flavor changes. One word, OK two, layers and heat. Very hot

Melissa’s Yellow Chili Mix
A golden/yellow moist powder that gives no chili the headline billing. A gentle powder that is a little slow to unfold. A nice soft and round mouth fill, followed by a even sweet/sour heat. A strong choice for a vegetable based soup. Highly versatile with moderate heat. Med

fishing4fun2 Medium Mix
This small batch processed powder is a whitewashed pink color. A mix of hots and supers this works well together. Creamy layers of spice, Acai and herbs. The addition of non supers keeps this in check. Another good step up powder before the gates swing wide open. Nice. Hot plus, plus

Silver Surfer #2 O/R
Appearance of fine sand. This has amazing complexity of mixed fruits, paired with an engaging aroma of strawberry pie. This is a high octane blend with immediate pedal to the metal heat. A head tingling, fruit laden high horse powdered powder. Its starting to hurt. Very hot

Romy6 Applewood Smoked Pepper Blend
Brownish red and very well dried. Free of peripheral influences in both looks and taste. This is a lighter smoked powder. While Applewood smells, oh so good, it can easily dominate. In this case its spot on. A fairly hot powder that keeps the lumber in check. Hot plus

The review is nowhere near done yet and already you've secured yourself a timeless legacy sure to rival the likes of Twain, Hunter S Thompson, and George Orwell. Keep it up, noble sir. Well done.

100 Pepper Powder Review Pt8
pepperproblem

Bodeen Chenzo
This seldom seem British import is as rusty colored as a seasoned trawler. This slightly sticky powder smells of green foliage and nondescript peppers. Quick, short, tip of the tongue burn. Its “drive by” heat relocates to leave a warm, relaxed belly. Med

Bodeen Tobago
A tan powder with a sunburn. One whiff tells you that this is the hot Tobago. The aroma is captivating. Cupcakes, pastry and fruit stream into the air in this good looking powder. The heat was early to the party and it showed a fine balance of fruit and acids. Another Tweener before the supers. Hot

Joyners Caribbean Chocolate A variety of chocolate peppers
Sparkling bits of shimmering skin give this mix some depth. A “all in one seasoning, with an Indian twist”, redolent of a far off land. Most Caribbean Chocolates are very good tasting peppers, so combining a few is pretty much a slam dunk. The heat transitions well and at a comfortable pace. A well done, all purpose, persistently fiery creation. Hot plus

cmpman1974 Tiger Bite Pear Smoked Pimenta Elisa/Tiger
Super fine granules of sandstone colored grains cascade down the bag. More confectionery in smell than the grape smoked powders, this has a lovely brown sugar component. Don't let that fool you as this powder attacks with the speed of the big cat. Sharp, rapid, piercing, high toned heat. That frankly, came as a shock after such a benign beginning. This cat has some sharp claws. Hot plus, plus

Joemomma Pecan Smoked Habanero
Light brown with a hint of orange. Layers of smoke, spent wood chips and ashes. Windswept chaparral and with a dry dustiness to it. Straight up, this is Texas cowboy powder. Wood tannin leaves this dry medium hot powder crying out for a bowl of chili or a grilled steak. Give it meat. Be happy. Hot

Wayright Rainforest Fire
A blazing brown look gives way to a highly fragrant, well smoked powder. Heavy smoking wafts thru the air while never leaving the fruit behind. A harmony that is enjoyable and welcomed. Reminiscence of your favorite rib joint. This is a strong powder that gains momentum as the minutes tick on. Sustained heat that refuses to let go until its done with its business. Nice. Hot plus

Bodeen Tobago
A tan powder with a sunburn. One whiff tells you that this is the hot Tobago. The aroma is captivating. Cupcakes, pastry and fruit stream into the air in this good looking powder. The heat was early to the party and it showed a fine balance of fruit and acids. Another Tweener before the supers. Hot

You had me at Cupcakes.

Kalimazoop,
I can totally understand where you are coming from.Cupcakes? Really? Cupcakes, is a reference to the smell of mostly the frosting.The milk, sugar etc in the topping. The volitile aroma compounds in some fruits, with peppers being in that group, produce these same scents in various concentrations. The amounts are generally below the standard "green or red pepper aroma compounds". That being said, the human threshhold can be as low as 2ppm. for detection. Different types of wood, and different degrees of heat used in smoking will also contribute to many new aroma compounds. A trained taster can recongize several thousand aromas.
I have made a living off of smelling and tasting .I was hesitant to post my notes because of the approach I use. But, then I thought, what the heck, maybe it will be intresting.
I am working on a project that hopefully will make perfect sense to everyone.
This is the same reason you can get aromas of vanilla, chocolate, anise, flowers, etc in wine. Not just the smell of grapes.
I know I could have sent you a pm, but I thought it might be a good idea to explain some of these descriptors. pp

I am really diggin your reviews Shawn!

Personally,,I have a very hard time ,putting into words ,how a powders I make tastes.
You have a masterful talent with words!
And having some of the different powders you have reviewed,I find myself gettin em out and tastin while reading your reviews!! :P

:cool:
Kevin

Kalimazoop,
I can totally understand where you are coming from.Cupcakes? Really? Cupcakes, is a reference to the smell of mostly the frosting.The milk, sugar etc in the topping. The volitile aroma compounds in some fruits, with peppers being in that group, produce these same scents in various concentrations. The amounts are generally below the standard "green or red pepper aroma compounds". That being said, the human threshhold can be as low as 2ppm. for detection. Different types of wood, and different degrees of heat used in smoking will also contribute to many new aroma compounds. A trained taster can recongize several thousand aromas.
I have made a living off of smelling and tasting .I was hesitant to post my notes because of the approach I use. But, then I thought, what the heck, maybe it will be intresting.
I am working on a project that hopefully will make perfect sense to everyone.
This is the same reason you can get aromas of vanilla, chocolate, anise, flowers, etc in wine. Not just the smell of grapes.
I know I could have sent you a pm, but I thought it might be a good idea to explain some of these descriptors. pp

No insult intended. Since there are so many pepper names, figured we could grow a version of that strain and call it Cupcake Scorpions or any other twist on it.

In all serious though, your years of experience making wine shows. It takes a sophisticated palette to taste the complexities you are eluding too. It comes with practice.

Everyone is looking forward to more.

100 Pepper Powder Review Pt9
pepperproblem

Bodeen White Habanero
A well sifted uniformed beige colored powder. Dried leaves, wet earth and faint pear aromas. This is quick to make the sale as it ignites rapidly, cuts out the middle man, and proceeds to close the deal In this case your belly. Lingering, composed heat follows.Hot

Melissa's 7 Pod Yellow
The look of Turmeric. This ambrosia has heavenly scents of jucicy oranges, white flowers and honey. It migrates from tongue on down in a orderly, if not seamless fashion. Good sharp heat that leaves a pure and clean aftertaste. Hot plus

fishing4fun2 Medium mix Peach Bhuts and Yellow 7s
Upon opening, this powder expanded in the bag and the aromas jumped out. Canned mixed fruits and a recurring pastry smell reminds one of a fruit tart. This is a hot mix that could be intriguing with a subtle smoking. A blend that seems like both smoking and not would both work out well. Hot plus

Joyners Red Savina
A crumbly dry, tan/red colored powder. Very distinctive. Heady aromas of steak/Worcestershire sauce put this into a category of its own. A no brainier to rekindle any BBQ sauce. Smooth, warm and flavorful. Think Scotch and water, rather then a shot of Tequila. Hot

Cmpman1974 Not White Bhut, Pear Smoked, Yellow & orange crosses
A blond roast. There is a lot going on in the (nose) of this powder. Initially sweet wood circles the air, it then becomes a tag team between the smoke/wood and fruit. Any agitation starts the sequence all over again. This fast dissolving powder starts out a touch woody then the fruit takes hold and gives you full, long lasting, body wrapping heat. Hot plus

Silver Surfer #1
A opaque, deep red clay, Mars landscape looking TNT. The innocent smells of well roasted chilies,stone fruits, and citrus are a camouflage of the violence that is to come. What starts out as a pleasant experience, quickly turns into a full bodied, heart palpitating, no pacemakers allowed participation. Hot plusssssss

100 Pepper Powder Review Pt10 Where is the milk?
pepperproblem

Bodeen Orange Habanero
A well made pretty pale orange colored powder. Ripe jammy citrus flavors and scents of orange oil. This orange themed dust tasted hotter than the name suggests. A blend, or just a hot batch? Not a “super” by any stretch, but a zingy, somewhat longish heat remains for awhile. Hot

Joyners Yellow Ghost
Joyners powders are all dried to perfection with great color retention. This is yellow, yep, yellow. Not the mirror image of the original, but very close. This friendly Ghost has pure, clean grapefruit scents with a mild mannered heat for the genre. This is as easy going as a Ghost can get. Enjoyable. Hot plus

Joyners Peach Ghost
While names sometimes give false impressions, this powder is actually peach colored. This natural mutation has been the talk of the town to those that have grown or tasted it. This lightly smoky/fruity offering is a level down in heat from the red. The issue is you will probably eat more of it and the effects might be negligible. Thats what I did. Tasty. Hot plus

Kalimazoop Mixed Blend
This is a non smoked flaky mix of Trinidads, Bhuts and Baccs. Non smoked powders seem to work well in blends, and this is no exception. This has a sugary fruit sweetness to it. Think fruit rollups. It smells so fruity sweet that it masks any thought of heat. The heat is there, in the shadows, throwing darts at your tongue. Ninja like. It may not kill you, but you will endure some pain. Nice Hot plus

Rainbow Chili Seeds Spike F1
This is made at Rainbow from his own creation. A good looking super hot pepper that resembles a cross between Douglah x Bhut. This powder is fully cured and smoked. Forceful smells of smoke and caramel dominate the theme here. I presume its a strong pepper and he was trying to match power with power. I might have to order some more seeds and grow one myself. Hot plus

Wayright Apple Smoked 7s
Bronze/copper in appearance. This has a “smell it until you sneeze” likability to it. The 7s are just hard to beat for their combination of heat and fruit. The sweet wood ever so genitally guides the fruit in both aroma and flavor. Enough of that! Now take this. A threshold powder that is maybe one step below a Moruga or Brain Strain. You now have combustible material working its way south. Lovely. Hot plus, plus

Wayright Cherry Smoked 7s
These two 7s tasted and smelled side by side were a challenge. Not so much the heat, in that they kept changing. The short story is the Cherry wood is darker, less caramel, a touch floral, maybe more balanced. Apple carries the powder more, Cherry is more a co-pilot. Soooo close. Hot plus, plus

Romy6 Applewood Smoked Pepper Blend
Brownish red and very well dried. Free of peripheral influences in both looks and taste. This is a lighter smoked powder. While Applewood smells, oh so good, it can easily dominate. In this case its spot on. A fairly hot powder that keeps the lumber in check. Hot plus

Yeah, couldn't have said it better! Enjoying the reviews man!

Back