• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

100% trinidad perfume or hybrid?

I got these seeds from Judy (pepperlove.com), they look kinda different from what I found online, but they do have a very nice fruity taste.

000_0051-800.jpg

000_0052-800.jpg

000_0050-800.jpg

000_0047-800.jpg

they look larger than what i remember them being, try one  let us know if there hot

true T.P. are not hot

they do however come very close in pod shape

thanks your friend Joe

geeme said:
I've grown several trin perfs over the last couple of years, and I assure you those look exactly like mine. No worries! IMO - Trin perfs are the BEST candied pepper you'll find. Here's a link to RichardK's thread that has an easy recipe http://thehotpepper.com/topic/11175-crushed-candied-habaneros/

Trin perfs are very mild, but just like any variety, you can get one or two that will surprise you. Mostly just have fun with them!
YES that's what i was thinking

ajijoe said:
they look larger than what i remember them being, try one  let us know if there hot

true T.P. are not hot

they do however come very close in pod shape

thanks your friend Joe
Thanks Joe, they have a little bit of heat to them

geeme said:
I've grown several trin perfs over the last couple of years, and I assure you those look exactly like mine. No worries! IMO - Trin perfs are the BEST candied pepper you'll find. Here's a link to RichardK's thread that has an easy recipe http://thehotpepper.com/topic/11175-crushed-candied-habaneros/

Trin perfs are very mild, but just like any variety, you can get one or two that will surprise you. Mostly just have fun with them!
Great! thanks for the info

Mine always looked like the ones in the pic from cross country nurseries: http://www.chileplants.com/images/chiles/trinidad-perfume.jpg <-- Some of the pods varied a tiny bit (bulgy waistline) but nearly all looked just like those. Fruity taste and smell, no heat, can't recall my original seed source.

Reading 4 or 5 posted online descriptions makes me think of the obvious, that there's a few strains floating around, some with mild heat and different pod shapes. Or maybe some stabilized cross escaped into the distribution channel a few years back, who knows...

It was 3 years ago I grew it, but I think it did have a fruity smell.  I believe my seed came from Tomato Growers Supply.
Jetchuka is right, there are probably different stains out there or crosses.

Jetchuka said:
Mine always looked like the ones in the pic from cross country nurseries: http://www.chileplants.com/images/chiles/trinidad-perfume.jpg <-- Some of the pods varied a tiny bit (bulgy waistline) but nearly all looked just like those. Fruity taste and smell, no heat, can't recall my original seed source.

Reading 4 or 5 posted online descriptions makes me think of the obvious, that there's a few strains floating around, some with mild heat and different pod shapes. Or maybe some stabilized cross escaped into the distribution channel a few years back, who knows...
Yeah, my trinidad perfume sure dont look like that.

ZenPepper said:

Yeah, maybe, its just that my Trinidad perfume dont have much of a fruity taste, oh well, atleast it produced some peppers for me.

Zen i didn't want to hijack the other thread so i figured i would quote you in your thread. You mention "not much" of a fruity taste, but when the peppers have been fully ripe, for say ~ 3-5 days, is the flesh a bit soft and not crispy?

The only other pepper i've seen come close to the consistency is the yellow Fatalii, though it's still not quite the same, so it's hard to compare.

And to think, i only have just 2 or 3 seeds left, going to have to baby them next season, and isolate whole plants, or at least a ton of pods. Guessing i'll distribute seed at the end of 2014 just to keep a good gene pool alive. I found the seed packet too btw, turns out i bought my seed from John at thechilliman.biz, but when i look at his pics, his do not have that classic shape either. Hope my seed packet doesn't contain all mixed strains inside ....

Jetchuka said:

Zen i didn't want to hijack the other thread so i figured i would quote you in your thread. You mention "not much" of a fruity taste, but when the peppers have been fully ripe, for say ~ 3-5 days, is the flesh a bit soft and not crispy?

The only other pepper i've seen come close to the consistency is the yellow Fatalii, though it's still not quite the same, so it's hard to compare.

And to think, i only have just 2 or 3 seeds left, going to have to baby them next season, and isolate whole plants, or at least a ton of pods. Guessing i'll distribute seed at the end of 2014 just to keep a good gene pool alive. I found the seed packet too btw, turns out i bought my seed from John at thechilliman.biz, but when i look at his pics, his do not have that classic shape either. Hope my seed packet doesn't contain all mixed strains inside ....
Yeah, please keep your strain alive, Im not sure if these are true perfumes, I left a few to fully rippen, they dont really turn soft, and they have a sort of grassy feel to them. I think u got a winner there.

Back