• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

100W LED depth and penetration *giggity*

1 flouro bulb by itself can put out up to 3500lm (T12 or T8).

That one sounds like you have to buy a driver and heat sink needed...

1 of those chips isn't going to light much area.

I have already have done HPS, MH, CFL grows in many configurations in the past. I am interested in these LEDs specifically. I am aware that drivers etc. will be needed.

Anyone have first hand knowledge using these 100W LEDs? I am interested in depth/spacing requirements for this particular wattage of single LED.

I wasn't sure if you realised 100 watt means nothing in general.
Only a power consumption...
Says 2500LM.Count on less for long life.
ALSO voltage = wavelength , Miliamps + NM/Color.
SO your driver comes into play.
Heat shortens LED life in general too.
All noted in the add(which is pretty cool).

Are you planning on using 1 to light a 4 ft. shelf from 18 inches away?
It won't work.
4-6 might...
According to the Lumens,it HAS to be used like a fluoro-inches from your plant,won't cover much area.
IT will give light to sprouts but not cover much area.

Several on some of the DIY setups posted here using several LEDS would be cool BUT the Lumens are still on the low to mid range of Fluoros.

There should be a lot more plant usable light than a flouro but plants still need a certain amount of lumens to get the chemical reaction going/photosynthesis.

I do think 2500LM of LED light CAN be better than the same amount of light from another light source.
ONLY because LEDS can produce more of the wave length of light/plant usable, they are rated at than some other light sources.
Depends on the angle of the LED and quality of the co. that made it.

I build my stuff to get AT LEAST 2000lm at the pot as a rule of thumb as a minimum.

I see a LOT of people going to the higher lm. spot light LED for LEDS in white in 6000 - 7000K.
A long time back I think Willard played with a high Lumen white to try out on plants to production.
Not for starts only, if I remember right.
Might have been a Cree,It was a while back...Didn't work for his grow...

Most are for starts,not whole plants to production.

The ones they use are about 3500-5000LM each.
A lot cheaper than a bunch of red and blue LEDS.
They are plug and play too.
There are posts here that might be worth reading about it...

Back