• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

105 degrees. I mean, seriously. C'mon already.

oooops Oryx too....but whos counting? and Aoudad....but Ibex, Oryx, and Aoudad dont really count....ok way off topic sorry.....

To contribute to this thread again....my "red chile" doesnt seem affected by the heat, nor does the cayennes....only the Poblanos...the jalapenos are producing, slower than usual, but producing.

My peppers are seriously not doing well with all this heat. I keep watering and they seem to perk up, but I have been losing leaves on several of them this week. I have to say that they are handling it better than me though. I am a mason and work outside. I thought I was having a heat stroke on Thursday. After several days over 100F, it was 98F with high humidity, and I stopped sweating, got chills, cramps, dizziness, and complete loss of focus. Had to quit for the day at 2:30pm. Not fun.

summer/dry season starts here around march and ends may. so i just passed it. started my plants end of may. so i guess i'm good til around feb-ish.

haha yeah my grass is crunchy and is starting to break off where you walk.......havent mowed in 3 weeks, going on 4 weeks! Cracks me up because the neighbor across the street is one of those lawn freaks that picks up (litterally!) every leaf that falls off of his bradford pear tree in the front yard if it gets blown off by the wind, totally weed and clover free yard,, the whole nine yards....but doesnt water it? So even though his yard is a nice dark green in the spring and fall, and mine looks like camo from all the greens and browns from various grasses and clovers and whatnot in my yard....both of ours are equally brown now lol..

But back to the point....Nah just had some of the wifes family in couple weeks ago and they left headed back to NM and they stopped in Knoxville and were telling us how nice it felt there. We had a cool (85-90) snap right around the same time....lasted maybe 2 or 3 days then went back to hells fire.

I wish i had grass that didn't need mowing!

No let-up in the daily 100+ degree temperatures, here. 6 or 7 of my 18 container plants are now dropping leaves by the handfuls; a couple are mostly twigs now. A little breeze will come through, and another pile of leaves will go floating off with the wind. To add insult to injury, the water required to keep these plants standing up through this heat has led to rotted pods, coming up on 100 % on a couple of plants.

It's pretty clear to me that peppers really, really do not like sustained temperatures in the high 90's and above.

It's pretty clear to me that peppers really, really do not like sustained temperatures in the high 90's and above.

Maybe you mean 90+ degrees and 90+ percent humidity?

My peppers are doing fine in the 108' here in AZ.

It got up to 103*F yesterday. It has been about the same for the last few weeks, too. We had one day last week where it was only 91* and I thought it was cold. I haven't seen a new bloom in over a week. I just picked the last of my pods yesterday and I just hope that it cools off soon. I have already lost two tomato plants due to the heat and lack of rain. I water to the max the restrictions allow, but it just seems it isn't enough.

I'm informed that, at least here, the plants will reflower when its a tad cooler. It wont get cold here till November, at least, so I am hoping for fall harvest.

Yup, Virginia has been miserable with the humidity as well. All my plants are way behind last year, but it happens, weather is variable. Makes you appreciate the good weather years when everything rocks.

I feel your pain. It was 111* at my place this afternoon. It's just destroying everything. Even with Shade and as cool a breeze way as they could be in my Aji Lemons dropping pods like crazy. I may get one off of it out of 25 or so pods on that plant.

I feel your pain. It was 111* at my place this afternoon. It's just destroying everything. Even with Shade and as cool a breeze way as they could be in my Aji Lemons dropping pods like crazy. I may get one off of it out of 25 or so pods on that plant.

I'm not having the troubles you guys are... I'm in Mesa, my plants are in raised-beds. My toms and peppers are doing well, a few sun-scalded fruit, but nothing horrible. I've planted closely, to retain moisture and keep sunscald off the fruit, seems to be working really well for me. Also, I foliar-spray Epsom, and I'm still seeing blossoms and fruit setting. Though I'll say that my tallest, a Poblano, is less happy than the other, more dense/compact plants.

Dunno, guys. Maybe your plants are too far apart from each other?

Ugh whats with the hot rain now -- Poured last night and thought finally would get some relief - nope just 85-90 with 100% humidity -- Still better than shoveling :cheers:

Finally back to low and mid 90s with some cloud cover occasionally and rain the last two evenings. My plants seem to be hitting a grow spurt, though I lost two chocolate hab seedlings, for a grand total of 3 this year. Everything else looks great although I still have a poblano that has yet to set a pod.

It had cooled down in my part of Texas for several weeks but it got into the high 90's yesterday. Supposed to be the same for several days.

Peace,
P. Dreadie

I'm not having the troubles you guys are... I'm in Mesa, my plants are in raised-beds. My toms and peppers are doing well, a few sun-scalded fruit, but nothing horrible. I've planted closely, to retain moisture and keep sunscald off the fruit, seems to be working really well for me. Also, I foliar-spray Epsom, and I'm still seeing blossoms and fruit setting. Though I'll say that my tallest, a Poblano, is less happy than the other, more dense/compact plants.

Dunno, guys. Maybe your plants are too far apart from each other?

Mine are all really close together under a shade canopy and the heat is still getting them. lots of afternoon wilt, and lots of pod drop of almost mature pods. The soil isn't soaked, but anymore water on them daily and they'll drown. Mine also get an Epsom spray, they keep flowering and growing and otherwise look really healthy until about 3pm, and then they almost fall over from the heat.
i just hope the Monsoon starts up here this next week or so and we get some rain instead of this pretending to be Florida with the humidity and high heat like we've been having. Last couple mornings walking out of my house have just been nasty with the instant sweat and stickiness.

It sounds like a lot are suffering from the heat. I shouldn't complain about our yesterday when it was so humid and hot that no one wanted to be out in it. The humidity seems to have moved on now as this morning is a cool 63, feels good too.

Mine are all really close together under a shade canopy and the heat is still getting them. lots of afternoon wilt, and lots of pod drop of almost mature pods. The soil isn't soaked, but anymore water on them daily and they'll drown. Mine also get an Epsom spray, they keep flowering and growing and otherwise look really healthy until about 3pm, and then they almost fall over from the heat.
i just hope the Monsoon starts up here this next week or so and we get some rain instead of this pretending to be Florida with the humidity and high heat like we've been having. Last couple mornings walking out of my house have just been nasty with the instant sweat and stickiness.

I think my neighbor wall (privacy wall) is shading them from 2:30 on, which may be stopping that afternoon wilt.

we hit 105 heat index, even though the actual temp is 90. blegh. cut the air whith a knife. It had been raining enough hadnt needed to water- but I will be doing so tonight. I'm not going to worry about flowers or pods though, its my first year and I'm glad they're still alive. we'll see what happens?

Back