• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

15-20lb+ fabric pot question

Really, this a a two-parter....

Mixing up a big (for me) bag of soil and wondering about letting it cook in a semi decent fabric pot (ala Smart pots, GeoPots, etc.) but have never used any over 7 Gallon. If you were looking for something in the 20-30 gallon or maybe more range, what are you guys looking at? I feel like the smart pots would be flimsy in that range but I don't know.

Real quick, if you have ProMix BX as part of your base, do you still need to add lime? The label lists Dolomite lime as an ingredient already.

Lots of people use fabric pots 20gal and upwards.  There's at least one grower on this site that uses big ones ~100gal, almost like raised beds.  For my uses, 20 gallon fabric pots is are about the biggest feasible size.

As far as lime - most prepackaged soil contains a PH balancing additive (usually lime).  I personally never add lime to any of my mixes as it takes a very long time to break down and imo EWC does a better job regulating ph problems.  

Good luck!

Back