• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

1st Stab at Hydro Bhuts

Geez man i almost watched it grow today! The roots finally made it through the pot and it nearly exploded. I think it's gonna be tough for me to stick one in the dirt again.

Looking at your original picture, I think the light is too far away from the plant. Obviously you cant stick it ultra close like a CFL or LED light, but once the plant has begun getting used to the light of the HID lamp, I'd be gradually moving it closer.

I lowered it about another 6". The plant seems to get a bit fatigued at the end of the day. Springs right back up by morning though. It's growing like crazy now.

theHippySeedCo said:
rockwool cubes workin fine here atm for seeds,Can get more into a Minigreenhosue than Jiffies toooooo.. but i Love the 75ml cubes as heaps of lil pots and soil and jiffies and get screamed at "ya Keeep bringing Dirt into the House" they Square so fit better together than Pots, plus can keep in for a while till figureout what to do with..

chock bhut seeds in 25ml rockwool cubes (2 in each of a few to see if works)Fatali's and 7 Pod trnsplanted into 75 ml cubes
rockwoll1.jpg

Bhut seeds work too in rockwool..
rockwoll2.jpg

jiffies Ok, but Pricey in comparison to slabs of rockwool cubes (even when buy 1000) get them @ 17c each, rockwool 30 slabs $3 10c each..

must be the camera or refection off the wall (Hey same panelling as my Office, Nice) But the glow looks like HPS, Orangish. But can see from the Ballast its missing the Igniter, If ya Put 1 of those and a Switch on the Ballast, then just need a HPS bulb, hit the switch and Ya got ya Flowering cycle as well.. (get some1 to do whos qualified though) :)
Ahh, missed that post. they're looking nice and happy in those cubes. not a big fan of using Rockwool that much, but seem to be working great.

millworkman said:
I can get a pack of 26 jiffy pellets for 2 bucks here.

I need to get more of those pellets, but noticed they have differnt sizes? I picked up a Jiffy Heated Greenhouse with 72 Peat Pellets. How do I know what size I need and can anyone provide a good link to get around 200 at a time?

What do you use? i'm always open to other products, but unfortunetly jiffy was the only thing they had with a heat pad at the local garden shop.

Omri said:
Me not like Jiffy.

Mine worked just fine with Jiffy...I tried the seed starting things from the hydro store and my sprouts got stuck and couldn't get out and died. I'm sticking with jiffy.

Rock0nman said:
Mine worked just fine with Jiffy...I tried the seed starting things from the hydro store and my sprouts got stuck and couldn't get out and died. I'm sticking with jiffy.

I did ok with the jiffy on my first run. I think I pushed a few too deep because I could see the root coming out of the seed, but they never sprouted. I think I put 2 in each peat bag, and most of them got 2 sprouts and a few got one and about 5 out of the 72 didn't do anything? All and all I would say about 90% of them sprouted fine.

Can I reuse the ones that didn't have any sprouts and where is a good place to buy more peat pucks?

LGHT said:
I did ok with the jiffy on my first run. I think I pushed a few too deep because I could see the root coming out of the seed, but they never sprouted. I think I put 2 in each peat bag, and most of them got 2 sprouts and a few got one and about 5 out of the 72 didn't do anything? All and all I would say about 90% of them sprouted fine.

Can I reuse the ones that didn't have any sprouts and where is a good place to buy more peat pucks?

I crumbled up a bunch of mine that didn't sprout and used it for starting other seed.....i'm now getting sprouts from those old seeds along with the ones i planted.

I use jiffy and rockwool. Atm most of them are jiffy cos I had a bit of stock. I like rockwool though cos you can't knock them over in the tray cos they are square and they are easier to label cos you can write on the plastic.
I didn't reuse mine cos they had a bit of green on top of them buit I guess you could if you aren't fussy?

I keep wanting to try rockwool...but i ahve a bunch of peat pellets and a half a bag of hydroton. I'm just gonna work with what i have. BUT...i'm seriously trying to find one of those Ultrasonic Fogging things. Anyone seen that yet. It's crazy how much more efficient they are than aeroponics. Fog-oponics (someone please come up with a better word).

Rock0nman said:
I keep wanting to try rockwool...but i ahve a bunch of peat pellets and a half a bag of hydroton. I'm just gonna work with what i have. BUT...i'm seriously trying to find one of those Ultrasonic Fogging things. Anyone seen that yet. It's crazy how much more efficient they are than aeroponics. Fog-oponics (someone please come up with a better word).

I looked at the "Nutramist Fogger" system, but didn't want to spend a ton of money for the setup. In theory the fogger would be a better way to water as it boasts a 5 micron droplet of water produced instead of a much larger 400+ micron of water with a sprinkler head mister, but bottom line is once the root gets "wet" it doesn't matter if it's a large or small drop the root is already wet and adding more water regardless of size won't matter. Plus with a standard sprinkler system you only run it say 15 minutes and hour so the roots are not always drenched in water cutting off c02. I probably won't do a hydro system this year, but next year I'm going to go with a standard drip system, but introduce c02 INTO the water instead of trying to get more oxygen into the roots through the air. So instead of trying fix the problem by making the water drops smaller I just add the air INTO the water!

Basically with a c02 injection system your forcing oxygen into the water itself so the water has a higher level of oxygen and no matter how you supply the water to the roots it never gets cut off of oxygen because the air is a part of the water. I have been maintaining planted tanks for almost 10 years and because the plants essentially grown under water getting oxygen to a plant is always the biggest problem. The simply solution is c02. Some plants won't grow at all without the addition of c02 in an aquarium and regular plants often grow 4-5 times bigger and faster once c02 is added. The only problem I have had with c02 injection is the plants actually grow TOO fast so I would have to cut or trim them at least once every other week or I would end up with a jungle of plants.

Here is a basic diagram
co2.gif

Here is a basic system
deluxeco2set.jpg

Here is the end result
pict0025mv2.jpg

LGHT said:
I looked at the "Nutramist Fogger" system, but didn't want to spend a ton of money for the setup. In theory the fogger would be a better way to water as it boasts a 5 micron droplet of water produced instead of a much larger 400+ micron of water with a sprinkler head mister, but bottom line is once the root gets "wet" it doesn't matter if it's a large or small drop the root is already wet and adding more water regardless of size won't matter. Plus with a standard sprinkler system you only run it say 15 minutes and hour so the roots are not always drenched in water cutting off c02.

That's why when running a true "aeroponic" system, you need a short adjustable cycle timer that will let you run like 2 minutes on, 3 minutes off instead of 15 on, 15 * n off. Otherwise you're really not seeing the true benefits of aeroponics vs any other form of hydroponics. Me and Omri already had a good debate on this once lol.

Txclosetgrower said:
That's why when running a true "aeroponic" system, you need a short adjustable cycle timer that will let you run like 2 minutes on, 3 minutes off instead of 15 on, 15 * n off.

I just used the 15 min as an example. I've never ran a hydro, aero system so I didn't know what the times should be set to. I'm not really concerned with the drip, mist, fog, option as much as I am concerned with the treatment of the water BEFORE it gets to the plant. It seems like everyone is debating on the best way to apply the water to the plant so it can get enough oxygen from the air, when none of that should matter much IF the water is already heavily oxygenated BEFORE it gets to the plant anyway. It just seems like fixing the water and not the application used to supply the water just makes more since, but I'm all ears as I haven't been able to find much research on that topic.

well i have used CO2 and you put in the air for your plants NOT in the water... also you use air stones for your rez... that is all you need for the water... you need to know the cubic feet of your room to measure your co2 out.... but i would just get a dig. to do it for me and set it at 1500ppm thats alot easier to do it that way .... like my room was 5mins on and 1hr off ... but you have to pump your room up first and i had my timer go on and off like 6times right before the light came on...so my room was at 1500ppm before they got light... oh and NO co2 when lights are off.... good luck

Damn!

that makes me not want to use soil anymore, but i'll still always do soil. How much time did you cut off from hydro ponics vs soil? what is the lid you are using. you must also have to keep the humidity really high. really interested in this setup way too impatient sometimes

Back