• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

1st timer question?

Ok, this is the first time for me making hot sauce. I got the idea of making the sauce, but my question is, after I put the peppers,vineger ect. in blender and then let simmer in a pot for a while, do I can it if I'm going to use it soon? Or can I just put it in the fridge? I know it's a dumb question, but all I need is a little help.

Thank you!!

Yeah, there's no real need to can it if you plan to use it soon. Just keep it in the fridge and if it's got a low pH ( vinegar and/or lime juice), it should last at least a couple months.

I had almost the same question. I made two sauces this weekend. One a pepper sauce using three different kinds of red peppers that I strained twice and put in one of my old Louisianna Pepper sauce bottles. I then made a sauce using Jalepeno, Serrano and Poblano peppers that I left a little chunky and put in a Mason jar. I put them both in the fridge but especially for the liquid pepper sauce I always buy the store bought kind and it stays out until I use it all. What do I need to do to my homemade sauce to not have to refrigerate it?

imaguitargod said:
Balance the pH. This usually entails cooking the sauce until the pH is around 3 or 4.

Cooking definately kills bacteria, but I don't think it would lower the pH. I could be wrong, but I think you need to add an acid(vinegar, lime juice, etc) to lower the pH.

Back