• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

$2.49 worth of plants and now what to do?

A new grower to the superhots this year if anyone has looked at my glog, but ran across these today and figured for just $2.49 after she rang me up and after telling the clerk they were half dead what have I got to loose? I know it's getting late in the season here in Alabama but what would you guys recommend that these guys need? The nursery these came from is very reputable but they are trying to get rid of their vegetables and I just happened top luck up on these today at lunch and if they make they will still out grow my late started seedlings of my Naga and Bhuts. Check the pictures and I apologize, my phone would have done better with the close ups but they are all yellow and the ghosts and habs are losing leaves, I repotted a couple today and seems they are all root bound but not sure the "ghost and the chocolate habaneros will make it but what are yall's recommendations?

P6050010.jpg

Caribbean Red Hot

P6050009.jpg

Peter pepper
P6050008.jpg

Ghost pepper, not sure which variety these look worse than the rest
P6050007.jpg

Chocolate habanero

P6050006.jpg

Last year for the hell of it I picked up a few "Caribbean Red Hots". They ended up being red habs not caribbean red habs. Total flavor difference, but they produced a massive amount of peppers.

Just plant them in top quality potting mix. I have been a fan of Miracle gro potting mix until this year when I planted some chiles in it and they are yellowing. It must have been an old bag and the soil must have been "hot". I do not think I will use miracle gro mix anymore. I now will just use fox farm. If your native soil is good plant them right in the ground after you till an area up and water and they will take right off.

I've noticed Peter Pepper can be finicky. It would bounce back and forth from super healthy to nearly dead. I finally potted it up and left it alone and it's doing great now.

A new grower to the superhots this year if anyone has looked at my glog, but ran across these today and figured for just $2.49 after she rang me up and after telling the clerk they were half dead what have I got to loose? I know it's getting late in the season here in Alabama but what would you guys recommend that these guys need? The nursery these came from is very reputable but they are trying to get rid of their vegetables and I just happened top luck up on these today at lunch and if they make they will still out grow my late started seedlings of my Naga and Bhuts. Check the pictures and I apologize, my phone would have done better with the close ups but they are all yellow and the ghosts and habs are losing leaves, I repotted a couple today and seems they are all root bound but not sure the "ghost and the chocolate habaneros will make it but what are yall's recommendations?
Score! I may hit up the box stores soon looking for the sick plants. Good Idea! Just, keep them quarantined for a little while just in case. You don't want the "Outbreak" monkey to bite your Bhut!

Just plant them in top quality potting mix. I have been a fan of Miracle gro potting mix until this year when I planted some chiles in it and they are yellowing. It must have been an old bag and the soil must have been "hot". I do not think I will use miracle gro mix anymore. I now will just use fox farm. If your native soil is good plant them right in the ground after you till an area up and water and they will take right off.

I know you aren't in to the organic stuff as much, but this is Very similar to FFoF but less than 10$ a bag! Includes Mycorrhizea and loads of other good stuff.
It is a bit heavy just like FFoF, so you may want to add pearlite or vermiculite, or just water less.

ednas-best-potting-soil-300.jpg

I got the little Armstrong Garden membership thing and now they email me sales, when is goes on sale Ill buy a bunch and store it in a cool place for next year.

Edna's Contains:
Composted Fir Bark, Sphagnum Peat Moss, Redwood Compost, Mushroom Compost, Volcanic Pumice, Earthworm Castings, Washed Sand, Kelp Meal, Bat Guano, Feather Meal, Gypsum and Mycorrhizae.Oyster Shell Lime and Dolomite Lime are added as pH adjusters. A natural wetting agent, Yucca shidegera saponin, has been added to help remoisten the product.
+/- $10 a bag...

Fox Farms Ocean Forest Contains :
earthworm castings, bat guano, and Pacific Northwest sea-going fish and crab meal. Composted forest humus, sandy loam, and sphagnum peat moss
+/- $23 a bag

Score! I may hit up the box stores soon looking for the sick plants. Good Idea! Just, keep them quarantined for a little while just in case. You don't want the "Outbreak" monkey to bite your Bhut!

I know you aren't in to the organic stuff as much, but this is Very similar to FFoF but less than 10$ a bag! Includes Mycorrhizea and loads of other good stuff.
It is a bit heavy just like FFoF, so you may want to add pearlite or vermiculite, or just water less.

ednas-best-potting-soil-300.jpg

I got the little Armstrong Garden membership thing and now they email me sales, when is goes on sale Ill buy a bunch and store it in a cool place for next year.

Edna's Contains:
Composted Fir Bark, Sphagnum Peat Moss, Redwood Compost, Mushroom Compost, Volcanic Pumice, Earthworm Castings, Washed Sand, Kelp Meal, Bat Guano, Feather Meal, Gypsum and Mycorrhizae.Oyster Shell Lime and Dolomite Lime are added as pH adjusters. A natural wetting agent, Yucca shidegera saponin, has been added to help remoisten the product.
+/- $10 a bag...

Fox Farms Ocean Forest Contains :
earthworm castings, bat guano, and Pacific Northwest sea-going fish and crab meal. Composted forest humus, sandy loam, and sphagnum peat moss
+/- $23 a bag

"I know you aren't in to the organic stuff as much"

I have been getting back to organics. Nothing helps a plant more then nature. :P I used to grow soilless indoor cherry tomatoes and when I switched to synthetics I had larger fruits and higher yields. Now that I have got into chile growing outdoor I think I am going back to an organic approach.

I wish I could find that soil!!!!!

Well I repotted some of them in Miracle gro and gave them a little dose of Miracle Gro tomato food, we'll see what happens, the others are going straight into the ground. As for the organic soil, thanks for the recommendations but not sure if I can find that around here. One thing that surprised me was with the ghost peppers, as small as they are they were in 4" pots and they were severely root bound.

i use miricle gro.. its great for everyting i grow, ( basil, lemon basil, thai hots, cayennes, some crazy brand of red chile that looks like a mix between a jalapeno and finger hot, and of course my fav the Dati) the only issue i hve this year is my datils have flowers that fall off.. everything else seems just fine in miricle gro.. :high:

Just an update, all of these plants have recovered really well, both the ones I put in the garden and the ones in pots, I'm really surprised they bouned back as quickly as they did considering how bad they all looked when I got them, I'll get some pictures today and post them here later. Unfortunately though my first foray into growing from seeds has ended not too well, the details and last pictures are on my glog post, my Naga Morich, Bhut Jolokia and Trinidad Scorpoions I started as seed didn't make it, there was about a 50% germination rate and they made it to about 2 inches tall with tiny leaves and have now shriveled up and died, water and heat levels were right too, guess I'm learning though, even though it is late in the season I desperately want to get a Trinidad Scorpion Butch T and a Trinidad Scorpion Moruga started from seed this year so I can overwinter it for next year but low on funds and can't order the seeds now so guess I'll just have the Ghost plants (of which variety i don't know) be the "super hots" I have this year.

yo rob dude,

the chocolate habs will likely be well hot enough to burn your butt well (and mouth)

and there is a good chance you will have difficult time attempting to eat a whole one of those or "any" type of ghost

once they get them little chilis on them and you are brave enough to try (any) one 'you will have learned'

Just picked up an old unsold generic "chile pepper" plant---sad and unwanted I guess---for a buck.

Actually 3 plants in one small pot. Violently seperated the root tangles and planted. Alive and happy after a couple days.

Bonus---had already set pods.

What chile is the question, but really can't lose for a dollar.

[sup]nitwit, I know the heat level won't be a problem with what I have growing now I just wanted to grow a couple Trinidads from seed.[/sup]

Back