• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

2 of My Plants are Yellowing

Been looking at other yellow leave posts here... but my two plants seem to be doing something different.  My Bhut Jolokia and Chocolate Scorpion have been getting a very bright neon almost yellow tint.  The others look good.  All have been treated the same... only difference is the two yellowing seemed to flower and fruit early and I picked those off.  Aside from color the new growth looks alright, a little slower than the others, but I attributed that to the flowering and podding.

Pictures might not look that bad... but to me it looks worse.  Here's the two:

xglduGp.jpg

zQqlvMn.jpg

and here's two others to show what most of my leaf color looks like:

26Oiymv.jpg

ABW2hDw.jpg

Leaves are staying on.  I don't think over water - as they get the same as the others and they are doing great.  These 2 flowered and podded really early.  The Scorpion produced two huge pods that I picked finally and vegetation started back.  Assuming maybe all that work led to them draining the soil nutrients quicker?

It could still be overwatering, precisely because you said "all have been treated the same." Individual plants, and particularly different varieties, will uptake water at different rates. So you may be overwatering simply because those two plants are taking in water at a higher rate than the others. 

Also, are you using commercial potting soil and, if so, what kind? If not, what are they in? Commercial potting soils have nutrients mixed in, so nitrogen deficiency is unlikely if you are using fresh soil. If reusing, though, that could be a factor.

I didnt fertilize them because the potting mix said it had fertilizer (bags said Professional Potting Mix-bought at a local nursury) I didnadd some bone meal and sprayed with epsom salts once a month since planting outside...so twice.

No and it looks like it is growing well. Soil looks wet mainly because i watered a day before picture and it is rainy/damp so i have them covered. The perlite mix I dont know. It was a READY TO USE mix... next time I wont make that noob mistake.

Getting a ready to use mix is not a problem - I certainly use the stuff, myself, and have no problems with it. The question was whether the plants might have a nitrogen deficiendy and, as I stated earlier, it's unlikely that is the cause since you're using a potting mix with nitrogen in it. I will qualify that by letting you know that plants can develop nitrogen lock-out, but the more probable issue is too much water.

I will let them dry out a bit. I felt like I was doing alright...soil seemed sort of moist but dry at least 8 inches down...leaves slightly wilting. If I dry them should they be alright? I meam looks like new branches are growing out everywjere regardless of color.

Back