• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

2011 Growing Season

Just wondering when everyone else is going to start their seeds for the 2011 spring? I mean, I still have a couple of plants from this year (read all of them) but I keep looking at my seeds and wondering when everyone else is going to start their seedlings. This is mostly for in ground or pot plants, not Hydro.

I started mine the first part of January and were eventually potted up to gallon size pots and were running out of room in those before I got them in the ground in mid April. I am going to try starting a few sometime in the next few weeks but I think my main crop I'll plant again in Jan, 2011.
T

I'm waiting til February this time. I don't have much space indoors so I need to get them outside (portable greenhouse) while they're still babies. They grow so nicely outside, they'll catch up fine. Do you have room for seedling shelves and shoplights inside? If so then Jan 1 will get you a bit of a head start for all the extra work.

I also have several plants left over. Some cut back to overwinter and some late starts under a HPS light to get some production in the cold months. If nothing else I will get some of the pods to ripen before cutting back.

For my wilds that take longer to germinate and grow, I will start most Beginning to Mid December. I say most because I just started C. Tovarii, C. Buforum, and C. Lanceolatum a few days ago. :lol: For the Chinense varieties, Mid January worked great for me last year so I will do the same this year. Of course, I just had a White 7 pod sprout after what, 5 months of sitting in dirt, so I guess I started a little earlier this year. Hoping to get some of the rocotos to set before the heat comes in, so maybe start them around New years and see how that works.

jacob

I planned on starting maybe the end of December or the first week of January. We just had such a cool summer this year that I don't know if it will be too early

I have already started 6 plants as well as overwintering 3. I start them under CFLs and then move them to the basement under a 400w MH. I keep them in soil the whole time. I only do this cause of the short growing season here in MI. I had a few green pods I had to pull cause of the weather. I put them to use, but prefer to let them ripen.

DSCN1055.jpg

Back