• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

2011 season has started!

This is only my second year growing so any advice is welcomed.

Here's the gist of the peppers I'm growing this year:

Trinidad Scorpions (Hippy)
Yellow 7 Pod (Hippy)
Fatali (tradewindsfruit.com)
Cayenne
Douglah (PRF)
Orange Habanero
Orange Bell Peppers
7 Pod Jonah (Hippy)
Bhut Jolokia (various suppliers)
Naga Morich (Hippy)
7 Pod Brain Strain (PRF)
Chocolate Habanero (tradewindsfruit.com)
Yellow Bell
Red Bell
Mustard Habanero (tradewindsfruit.com)
Thai Red (hotstuff)
Orange Scotch Bonnet (tradewindsfruit.com)
Datil Yellow Pepper (tradewindsfruit.com)
Orange Manzano (tradewindsfruit.com)
Goat Horn (tradewindsfruit.com)
Aji Criolla Sella (tradewindsfruit.com)

I'm a little disappointed at hippyseedcompany seeds, they had the worst germination rates of all. The only ones that seemed to do slightly better than others were the trinidad scorpions. Anyway, enjoy!

A couple overwintered: Red Savina and Jolokia
dsc07904.jpg

dsc07905q.jpg

Ebb N' Flow tray with around 70 seedlings:
dsc07907u.jpg

dsc07910.jpg

dsc07909a.jpg

Jolokia
dsc07908o.jpg

The only Yellow 7 Pod that sprouted (out of maybe 20 - got it from hippyseedcompany.com) so it's getting special treatment
dsc07911r.jpg

Some more peppers/tomatoes/cucumbers:
dsc07912w.jpg

And some herbs:
dsc07914u.jpg

dsc07913.jpg

lol, that looked funny, seeing plants all growing, then the onion, nothing :D good job on the plant so far!

hope don't get no mites or other wee critters with your plants

lol no one cares about the onion. not even me haha

i have been in a constant battle with aphids. damn things! but i've learned to take precautions. i always.. always have a bottle of pesticide on hand

I'm a little disappointed at hippyseedcompany seeds, they had the worst germination rates of all. The only ones that seemed to do slightly better than others were the trinidad scorpions. Anyway, enjoy!

My seeds from THSC took quite a bit longer than those from other sources, but I still got a fairly good percentage from them. Some of them took up to 3-5 weeks. I wouldn't give up on them took quickly...

Nice list. you look to be doing pretty well with those plants. Nice and healthy.

+1. Your overwintered plants look very happy. What "pesticide" did/do you use to control your aphid probs?

My seeds from THSC took quite a bit longer than those from other sources, but I still got a fairly good percentage from them. Some of them took up to 3-5 weeks. I wouldn't give up on them took quickly...

I separated the ones that had germinated (maybe 3 weeks after sowing) from the ones that hadn't and gave them an extra 10 days: no activity, so I just threw them out and started a few more yellow 7 pods.

+1. Your overwintered plants look very happy. What "pesticide" did/do you use to control your aphid probs?

Thanks! I use Safer's End all. Seems to kill them on contact but they keep coming back and back and back.

nice list and healthy plants

Thank you! Hope I get to keep them all :)

I separated the ones that had germinated (maybe 3 weeks after sowing) from the ones that hadn't and gave them an extra 10 days: no activity, so I just threw them out and started a few more yellow 7 pods.

I didn't get any Yellow 7 Pods from THSC to germinate, I forgot about those. :mope: I started the rest of the seeds about 3 weeks after the first ones since they weren't popping, and none of those came up either. The rest of the seeds I got enough plants for me since I probably won't keep more than 3 or 4 of any particular variety.

I didn't get any Yellow 7 Pods from THSC to germinate, I forgot about those. :mope: I started the rest of the seeds about 3 weeks after the first ones since they weren't popping, and none of those came up either. The rest of the seeds I got enough plants for me since I probably won't keep more than 3 or 4 of any particular variety.

I was really hoping for more yellow 7 pods to sprout. I'll just have that one plant but I'm gonna put it in a DWC bucket and hopefully get lots of pepper/seeds from it.

PS: Marlo can kick Avon's ass any day of the week lol

I like the setup and the overwintered plants look great. And yes, I am psyched! :woohoo:

haha thanks!

Great setup!!!...Suprised by the germination rate with Hippy's seeds. I have had no problems. Still, awesome grow list.

Thanks wee!

This is what I've done in order to try to control aphids. I'm not sure how well it's going to work but I already caught some aphids which would've otherwise ended up on my plant. That's duct tape around the stem of the plant with the sticky side out. I remember reading that aphids lay their eggs in the soil so any aphids that are climbing up the stem would get caught in it lol

dsc07925fa.jpg

Some transplants and some changes.

The first of the hydroton to peat transplants. hope they do good!
dsc07928l.jpg

Some herbs
dsc07929.jpg

dsc07931y.jpg

some of the plants that were transplanted into the bigger rockwool cube aren't doing so well..... hopefully they'll recover
dsc07930i.jpg

Enjoy!

Hey folks, long time since I updated. Plants are getting huge and I'm getting more anxious to start taking my plants outside. Here's the 14 day forecast for my area, is it too soon to start taking them outdoors? (I already took some out today for a little taste of "spring")

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/fourteenday/caqc0363?ref=qlink_lt_14day

Back