• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

2013 Pre-Moving Grow Log

SO

last year my chillies didn't grow much. I had a bunch of varieties and they all started growing at the very end of the season, so i didn't have any real amount of ripe chillies.

This year i decided to do things a bit differently and with that in mind I sowed some of my seeds early (around 20th December 2012) And they're doing great!

The varieties I've sown in the first batch are:
Bhut Jolokia
Jalapeno
Sparkler

A few weeks later, I sowed two varieties from the dried chilli pods I had in a jar. They had almost 100% germination.
Big Thai (I think)
African Bird's Eye (Ithink

I later ordered a few extra seed from South Devon Chilli Farm and bought a few other varieties in stores, which i sowed a few days ago. These are:
Fatalii
Hot Chocolate Habanero
Orange Habanero
Bolgarian Carrot
Cayenne

The third batch hasn't germinated yet, so I'll post photos of them later.
About 2 weeks ago I bought a transparent plastic laundry box, which I wrapped in a reflective foil. I've put some of the chillies in there and left some outside and they're doing great!

I'm in the process of buying a house, so I'll be able to pot these babies outside in the second half of the spring. Can't wait! :D

I'll post the photos in a few minutes.

GrowBox v1.0 - The uncovered side is facing the window, so it gets some extra light and i turn the light off at night, so it doesn't really matter. The top is open, so it has at least some form of ventilation.
GrowBox2_zps4ffb1c07.jpg

The plants inside the box: 1st row Jalapeno, 2nd row Bhut Jolokia, 3rd row Big Thai, 4th row African Bird's eye.
GrowBox3_zps9c993a31.jpg

Jalapenos are the best looking so I'm sticking with them :)
Jalapeno8_zps8edc90e0.jpg

Jalapeno10_zpsae3c9281.jpg

The Jalapenos are actually starting to make flower pods already. I'll have to cut them off when they get a bit larger.
Jalapeno2_zpse5fc2f64.jpg

I can post more pics if you'd like..

That is a much better growing season than I have here, I am jealous :) I can't even think about putting plants outside until the end of May usually.

Looking good, I like the growbox V1.0 simple and effective. Pics are always good.

Good luck with you up coming move and rest of the season

That is a much better growing season than I have here, I am jealous :) I can't even think about putting plants outside until the end of May usually.
I'm not complaining :P

This year will be the first time I grow stuff in an actual garden and not just in pots, so I just hope the weather will behave =)

Looking good, I like the growbox V1.0 simple and effective. Pics are always good.

Good luck with you up coming move and rest of the season

Thanks! :)
I'll post more pictures when there's something to post. I've seen a few roots sticking out of the peat pots here and there, so I might have to pot them up really soon :)

I had to pot on 6 of my chillies because the roots started to poke out from the peat pot a lot.
Potted on 2 Jalapenos and 3 Bhut Jolokias.

Their new home
IMGP5168_zps52aaeace.jpg

Jalapeno
IMGP5169_zps0b25ef4d.jpg

IMGP5177_zpsdd736dca.jpg

Bhut Jolokia
IMGP5175_zps48af0e91.jpg

Damnit... I had it all written already and I accidentally clicked the x and closed the tab. oh well, here we go again...

After a month, I'm updating my grow log.
Some of the chiliies are doing great, some not so much.
A few of my Jalapenos decided to dry out over night, I managed to save 2 and 2 are still struggling.
My Fatallis haven't germinated at all, and I only got one Hot Chocolate Habanero. The rest is doing great.
My Thai long chillies are growing really tall for some reason, even though they have more light than most.

Without further blabbering, the photos...

Some of my tomatoes and bolgarian carrots in the back
IMGP5178_zpsba38ac9f.jpg

The 2 Jalapenos and 4 Bhuts from my previous post
IMGP5179_zps0c3a08d9.jpg

Jalapeno
IMGP5182_zps60fb6c5f.jpg

Bhut Jolokia
IMGP5183_zps10f73609.jpg

From left to right
Jalapeno(4)(the two are still struggling, i'm not giving up), Bhut Jolokia(4), Thai Long(4), Bird's Eye(6)
IMGP5185_zpsa0b436f0.jpg

IMGP5186_zpsca40e574.jpg

IMGP5187_zps80f0dbee.jpg

Growbox
The 6s are Cayennes and the 7s are Orange Habaneros. The others are(n't) Bolgarian Carrots, Hot Chocolate Habaneros and Fataliis.
IMGP5188_zps9d4272dc.jpg

Sparklers. 2 more are on the kitchen windowsill.
IMGP5189_zps3e3e1a6f.jpg

Nice work with the transplanting. The sparklers and jalapeno's appear very healthy. The taller thai plants maybe a challenge because of the early upward growth spurt. You may want to plant them together and place a bamboo stake or other between them for support............or replant from seed.
Good luck with your outdoor planting.

Nice work with the transplanting. The sparklers and jalapeno's appear very healthy. The taller thai plants maybe a challenge because of the early upward growth spurt. You may want to plant them together and place a bamboo stake or other between them for support............or replant from seed.
Good luck with your outdoor planting.
Thanks for the advice. The Thais are a bit problematic. They've been growing really fast from the start. When I transplanted them into the peat pots, they weren't sticking out that much because I buried them as deep as I could. But they kept growing extremely fast. Even if they were right underneath the light. Growing them from seed probably won't do much good, judging by my previous experience with them. I will put them next to a bamboo stake when I transplant them outside, hopefully in about a month, if the weather stabilizes.

I topped 3 of the Thais and left one just in case I topped the others too much :P

My Jalapenos are starting to put out tonnes of flower pods, which I don't want just yet. They're still very small plants and I want them to grow a lot more.
How should I clip the pods? They're still very small, so they're hard to reach, but I don't want the plants putting too much energy into them just yet.
Was thinking to shock the plants a bit by putting them outside for a little while. But I'm not sure if that's a good idea.
What are your thoughts? :)

The early blooming is not a problem I've faced yet, this being my first serious indoor starting season, so I'm sure someone else can give you better advice than mine. Having said that, though, I'd let them get big enough to pinch them off without damaging or stressing the rest of the plant.

As for putting them outside, if they haven't seen any sun at all yet, i.e. from a window, I wouldn't put them in direct midday sun at all just yet. Start with some filtered shade, or early morning or late afternoon sun. And yeah, for just a few minutes and build up to full exposure. My OWs were in a sunny window before going outside and they got sunburned a little after two days of bright, day-long sun. Only a little, though; they'll recover nicely.

Back