• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

2016 - JoeFish Arkansas Grown

I have wanted a garden for awhile now. So Sept. 2013 I picked out a spot and started working on my spot.  All the rest is history.

My grow list... Since I was skeptical about starting seeds I ordered plants.  Hopefully I will start everything myself next year.

A Picture of my Garden spot.  It is about 21' x 27'
1zv9186.jpg

And my soil test....
http://postimg.org/image/n09oi22fn/

haha well i have been doing Brazilian jiu-jitsu since 2001 and have been following the  Emelianenko brothers since they made there start in Pride....My nick name with friends is Fedor haha

Miniac67 said:
haha well i have been doing Brazilian jiu-jitsu since 2001 and have been following the  Emelianenko brothers since they made there start in Pride....My nick name with friends is Fedor haha
That is cool!  Never done any BJJ but I am a huge MMA fan.

Can anyone tell me the best place for some Assam seeds? I have ate a lot of ghost pepper seasonings/food and I am only growing 2 bhut plants this year... I figure I'll throw. 3rd one in there for good measure. Just to be sure the Indian carbon and the Assam are the same correct?          

Okay so after a discussion with beerbreath81 it has became very apparent that my garden is just not going to be big enough!  I am still sowing seeds and still looking for different strains to plant, it is becoming a little of a obsession I think.  So I will show you guys whats going through my head.

First I filled this flat up with flowers for my wife.

20ql2dz.jpg

Filled this ole boy up with some of the same I had planted just more of them.

f2lirc.jpg

This is ground zero for the pepper garden.

295r78o.jpg

I have a few questions for you experienced gardeners.

Can I just dig a hole in through the grass into the ground and just mulch it?  If so I can just skip the tilling part and just mulch it and run the weed eater between them.
How far do you plant you peppers apart?
After construction I will have about 1600 sq feet of garden.

JoeFish said:
Okay so after a discussion with beerbreath81 it has became very apparent that my garden is just not going to be big enough!  I am still sowing seeds and still looking for different strains to plant, it is becoming a little of a obsession I think.  So I will show you guys whats going through my head.

First I filled this flat up with flowers for my wife.

20ql2dz.jpg

Filled this ole boy up with some of the same I had planted just more of them.

f2lirc.jpg

This is ground zero for the pepper garden.

295r78o.jpg

Can I just dig a hole in through the grass into the ground and just mulch it?  If so I can just skip the tilling part and just mulch it and run the weed eater between them.

Good stuff going on! You can prep small spots for individual plants with no trouble. Just add a little organic matter and mulch over the top. The spacing is a tough question. Jalapenos for example you can get away with spacing between 18" and 24" or even closer with a little crowing...some of the larger chinense plants will need at least 3' spacing if they do well. I stagger my rows in sort of a checkerboard pattern to maximize my space. You can get by with a little crowding, but too close and you won't be able to get in to harvest without breaking branches.

Good luck, we all have a bit of an obsession on this site...so you're on track there as well!!!

Do I have enough Lucky Dog Red Label?

9QW9N37.jpg

One of my transplants.

ykQLbTt.jpg

The Experiments.

upiXJ4Z.jpg

1 little Pimente d' Espelette trying to come out.

SfPoAhz.jpg

Fatalli Yellow

8Q0NLr0.jpg

Golden Pepperocinni

0MmeObu.jpg

Aji Limo

tOInmKG.jpg

Red Peter Peppers

YRen2Ux.jpg

Red Pear Tomato

mB1B5lg.jpg

Still waiting on the Red Bhuts, Giant Jalapenos,Devils Tongue, and Trinidad Moruga Scorpion.  All of these where planted 2/14.

Almost forgot!

Rooster Spur.

TuRhnY6.jpg

Datil.  Only received 3 seeds from beerbreath81, 2 came up in the same cell and I had to clip 1.  Wish I had planted the 3 seeds in different cells but I wasn't thinking.  So we are banking on this guy to pull through!!  Sorry pic is bad....

MxI9PDs.jpg

Spicegeist said:
Everything looks great, love that garden spot!

Thanks!  Cant wait to get it going!!

That Datil looks fine, it'll probably pull through.  I tried growing datils two years ago, but they didn't really turn out that well for me...

JoeFish said:
Datil.  Only received 3 seeds from beerbreath81, 2 came up in the same cell and I had to clip 1.  Wish I had planted the 3 seeds in different cells but I wasn't thinking.  So we are banking on this guy to pull through!!  Sorry pic is bad....
Glad you were able to get at least one plant out of it. This is my first year growing Datil too, got the seeds from tradewinds and they only sent 10, although I whine alot about tradewinds being stingy and high priced i keep going back to them because i always get really good germ rates from the seeds they send me.

JoeFish said:

As far as the ever expanding pepper section garden - welcome. You are among friends. All of us have this problem.

What I'd suggest if you want to do no till and plant is to get a spading fork, newspaper or cardboard and a bunch of mulch. Dig a nice big and wide hole, use the spading fork to aerate the ground underneath, backfill with a mix of compost or whatever you want mixed with the dirt and plant in that. Then, lay your cardboard and/or newspaper around the plant pretty thick. Then mulch on top of that. This way you won't be fighting grass growing through everywhere. Oh, and if you use newspaper, lay it on thick. It'll keep the grass down. If you want to build soil in those spots long term, lay down the newspaper, then some good compost or organic material, then a wood mulch.

Glad you started up the seeds - you'll have plenty of confidence to do all your plants by seed next year. Yours are coming along great. And it's a cool feeling to look at a fully grown plant and know you put that little seed into the soil.

Thanks everyone for checking me out!

beerbreath81 said:
Glad you were able to get at least one plant out of it. This is my first year growing Datil too, got the seeds from tradewinds and they only sent 10, although I whine alot about tradewinds being stingy and high priced i keep going back to them because i always get really good germ rates from the seeds they send me.

We will have some seeds by the Fall beerbreath just gotta be patient!  Thanks again for the seeds and remember you made this monster...

Like Pulpiteer said, last year I ran out of large containers so on a whim I started digging holes, mixing in compost, pine bark, whatever and then mulched really good.  All those plants produced like crazy and the Peach Bhut plant was close to 5 ft tall and wide.
I am also from Arkansas, about 70 miles straight up from Little Rock.

Jusplayn said:
Like Pulpiteer said, last year I ran out of large containers so on a whim I started digging holes, mixing in compost, pine bark, whatever and then mulched really good.  All those plants produced like crazy and the Peach Bhut plant was close to 5 ft tall and wide.
I am also from Arkansas, about 70 miles straight up from Little Rock.

Nice to hear man thank you for the info! 

+1 on 76.

Only thing I want to add is I put the newspaper rolled up in a 5 gal bucket and fill it with water, it's much easier to handle when applying.

Babies look superb!

Next time you have two in one of those spots you can put some plastic gloves on, use a fork to lift them out and place them in a bowl of water. The soil will melt away and you should be able to easily separate them. I did this with about 25 plants this weekend and they're all happy.

Keep it green!

Back