• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

contest 2017 Inaugural Southern Hemisphere Growdown Throwdown Aji Amarillo

drathag said:
I like them all except for heaviest individual pod.... only because I'm too lazy to weigh each pod on its own!

You wouldn't have to weigh each pod, only the ones you'd think would be serious contenders for heaviest ;)

As far as prizes go, I don't know what's traditionally done with the northern hemisphere guys but it might be cool if we could build a "pool" of seeds/powders etc. from participants that could be given as prizes. Just a thought.

I was thinking along the same line. By the time this time of year rolls around again, I'd say we should have quite an inventory established! Most of it would of course go to the heaviest total weight of pods produced, but some of it could go to the minor competitions, e.g. first to fork, heaviest weigh in, etc. 

Also, the competitors list so far is:
 Powelly
 drathag
 ThatBlondGuy101
 Gorizza
 LocalFart
 karoo
 Shorerider
 charlesquik
 Guitarman
 KAOS
 Jubnat
 Jase4224
 Orcmie

(From those who voted in the poll)
Its not too late to join, probably never will be, but you'll need to join before you sow your seeds!

15 days to go!!!!  :party:

karoo said:
The only vendor in South Africa with Aji Amarillo seeds available , has a picture of yellow ones not orange. Livingseeds .
Are these still Aji Amarillo.?

attachicon.gif
aji-amarillocontainer-gardening_10147_250x250.jpg
Those are Aji Lemon Drop, it looks like to me.
See a pic of some of my pods from last week:

Definitely not an Aji Amarillo-which are orange, as
GCM showed above.

Seeing as the Growdown starts TOMORROW I thought I'd make everything crystal clear.

Cannot start before tomorrow in your local time zone. Only plants grown from seed sown tomorrow or later are eligible.
You DO NOT have to start on 21st June 2017, you simply cannot start BEFORE then
No mature plants, all entries must be from seed, grown by yourself.
Seed used should be from a reputable dealer. No open poll seeds.
You must post your start date in this thread, when it occurs. This includes whenever you soak seeds, put in paper towel, put in soil or however you start. As soon as you do something to the seeds, that's your start. Your start date will be used to calculate your time to fork, flower and pod, and determine your eligibility for the relevant minor competitions.
Photos showing your progress are not mandatory, but would be preferred. They also help to validate your entries, and spice up the competition! It would also be preferred if photos were timestamped, although this is not always possible.
You can harvest pods ripe or unripe, and whatever stage you want. Just don't go picking your flowers as entries...
For a harvest to be eligible, a photo clearly showing the picked pods on a scale should be posted in this thread. In your post, you should also clarify the weight and number of pods.
It is not mandatory to keep record of the number of pods, but it will boost your chances of winning a prize!
No limit to number of weigh ins.
I will be keeping score of everyone's tallies, but you should keep track of your own score so that we can compare notes at the end of the challenge. I will also be getting an outside member of the forum to do a tally of the comp when it is finished to verify our results.
You should weigh any pods that you think may be contenders for the heaviest pod title. This isn't mandatory.
You should clearly post the dates of your first and last pickings to be eligible for the longest season prize. Also not mandatory.
Eligible seeds cannot be sown before entering - you must post your wish to enter in this thread, and then sow seeds.
You can enter at any time between now and the closing of the competition. Obviously the sooner you enter, the more time you have to grow your plant, and harvest its bounty!
Your chosen plant for the competition must be confirmed before your first picking. Whichever plant you weigh in first, is your entry for the season.
No cheating. (Duh)
The competition runs on the honesty system. If you're really low enough to cheat, then you need help.
If someone is suspected of cheating, we'll figure out what to do with them.
The Official Winner of the Inaugural Southern Hemisphere Growdown Throwdown - Aji Amarillo will be the person who successfully grows the plant that produces the most total weight of pods within the timeframe provided, that is, 21st June 2017 - June 2018. The winner will be announced once all the results have been compiled
The Winners of the Minor Competitions will be the people who:
Grow the plant that produces the most total pods
Record the heaviest weigh in
Contain the most pods in a single weigh in
Record the heaviest average weigh in
Produce the heaviest pod
Grow the plant that forks in the shortest period of time, from sowing (un-topped)
Grow the plant that flowers in the shortest period of time, from sowing
Grow the plant that produces the first ripe pod in the shortest period of time, from sowing
Has the longest producing season (from first picking to last picking)

A prize pool will be put together, either physically or digitally (through the forum) for the winners. The majority of the pool will go towards the Official Winner of the Inaugural Southern Hemisphere Growdown Throwdown - Aji Amarillo.
All contestants are encouraged to have fun!

There is probably more stuff to address, but we can cross that bridge when we come to it.
Seems like a lot of rules and stuff, but I feel that we should make it clear now, before any issues come up. Hit the nail on the head before the metal ore has been mined is my motto.
The most important thing is that this competition is honest. And we aim to keep it that way. Please resist the urge to cheat, it ruins everyone's time. If you are that departure for some powders, pods and seeds, just ask for some, don't cheat these honest people out of their hard earned prizes.

And that's about all I can think of saying. So buckle up, and get ready to eat some Blonde Dust!

BTW I am competing, that's why I want to bring in an unbiased third party adjudicator.

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!

drathag said:
Can't wait to get going! Thanks to ThatBlondGuy101 for dedicating a chunk of their time to the admin side of this. 

Hurrah ... thanks ThatBlondGuy for all the effort.

Just a quick question before Swampy springs a surprise late on us with a late entry or something. Do we have a pot size limit for the Growdown?

I'm not too fussed about those "bumpkin plant in the garden" folk, but for those growing on containers it might be a non starter for those with space constraints?

Bring on the 21st

drathag said:
Can't wait to get going! Thanks to ThatBlondGuy101 for dedicating a chunk of their time to the admin side of this. 

Awww, nothing to it. I'm doing purely for selfish reasons -  I wanted to join in a growdown! haha lol

KAOS said:

Just a quick question before Swampy springs a surprise late on us with a late entry or something. Do we have a pot size limit for the Growdown?

I'm not too fussed about those "bumpkin plant in the garden" folk, but for those growing on containers it might be a non starter for those with space constraints?

Hmmm, I don't really think that there should be a limit, you should be able to grow your plants however you want. I understand where you're coming from, looking for equality and a level playing field, but we can't really control everything to make it completely fair. that path leads us to everyone using the same ferts, soil, watering schedule, picking times, etc, which would take all the fun out of it.

But if the majority want a limit, that's what we'll do.
I should've mentioned in the above post that this competition isn't a dictatorship, so if there are any problems, we can change the rules or add new ones or whatever.

Just over 5 hours till we begin!!!!! :party:

(I won't be starting tomorrow though, still need to sort out my growing plan of attack, especially indoor starting wise... :( )

Back